TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Retractable Reel for Charging Cord

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by deeri, Jun 5, 2017.

1. deeri

deeri New Member

While I await delivery of my X 100D in a few weeks, I'm planning the changes needed in the garage to accommodate charging. Installing the charging cord on a wall is not a great option for various reasons. What I'd like to do is mount a reel on the ceiling similar to the way I have an air hose (from a compressor in the attic above the garage) and an electrical extension cord mounted on the ceiling. The cord is pulled down from the reel when needed and then when finished, a slight tug on the cord and it retracts into the reel and out of the way. I plan to use the 20' cord that comes with the Tesla and a socket installed by the electrician in the ceiling to plug the cord in to.

I have been searching for reels that can have a user-supplied cord mounted to them and the best thing I could find costs upwards of $500. I have also read articles that warn about winding the cord around something because of heat dissipation issues.

Has anyone encountered and solved this problem, or have suggestions? A link to a ceiling mountable reel at a reasonable price would be appreciated. I'm not looking for a $20 solution here, I know I may have to spend a few hundred dollars, just would rather avoid $500 if at all possible, not to mention wanting to avoid the risk of setting my garage on fire.

• Like x 2
  2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but I went a more budget route with a series of hooks to hang my UMC. Looked hard at a reel-style solution, but couldn't find a good one and also realized how much of a PITA it would be when I want to take the UMC with me (at least once a month).

20170415_190333.jpg 20170415_190545.jpg

It's not as visually clean and elegant as I want, but it's functionally elegant enough. Plus no worries about heat from spooling up the cable, as you noted.

3. McManX

McManX Member

4. deeri

deeri New Member

5. McManX

McManX Member

Yes, I forgot how complex it was until after I posted.

6. arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Supporting Member

7. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

My HPWC is on the wall near the charge port. I hang the cable up and over a cushioned hook so it dangles near the port. It puts the plug a short distance from the port and keeps the cable off the floor. No practical experience yet, but I have tested holding it up to the hook with a bungee to be able to reach over to the future Model 3 parked to the right and still stay off the ground.