Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable spoiler not available for P100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I'm saying continuous angling is welcome, as you hinted. I'm with you. It's the proof, and to quantify the difference that will make it irresistible for some. And an upgrade option from active to this, would rock, maybe even via software over the air (pun intended).

I think this happening now is very unlikely given the focus moving away from the active spoiler, but I wonder how much software possibilities they have with the current active spoiler design on the Model X? I know they say it has three positions: stowed, low-speed (high-visibility), high-speed, but could they add more through software?

Wouldn't it be cool to add an "active air" type of feature found on some supercars, that can do stuff like go completely vertical:

2013-mclaren-mp4-12c-spider-active-rear-spoiler-03

I mean some of this would surely be nonsensical on a Model X, but - ahem - it already has a lot of nonsensical active elements, having a spoiler that goes vertical would fit the bill...

I would buy that hardware option and even pay for the software option, if available. :)

Oh well, now the chances are rather if there is ever another Tesla in my future it has no active spoiler option. Better treat the Model X well, then.

Reactions: Cowby and vandacca
Just spray some WD40 and try. I've sprayed WD40 here and there to get rid of noises. No other cars I've owned needed WD40.

Maybe you couldn't hear the noises over all your ENGINE EXPLOSIONS.

Interesting sub-discussion by @outie and @PedanticOne.

I am prone to thinking both are right.

Certainly the meme-enducing, joke-inspiring track record of Tesla quality - most evident on Model X forums but not absent from Model S forums either - would suggest Tesla's features like active spoiler could be more prone to noises than the average car a buyer in this price-range has previously had. I can certainly attest to not remembering any squeaks developing on my previous premium Germans. An active spoiler making noises on the parking lot when the car is turned off, for example, would not be affected by engine noise.

That said, I do remember on my Audi A8 - which by many measures is a fantastically quiet car (the amount of sound proofing materil on the floor for instance is impressive) - hearing various noises when the engine was off, that I never heard without it. One of these was the noise from the suction seats, similar technology that the Model X has (or had until recently). When the engine off, I could hear the humm from the seats, same with seat motors when moving them. I did not hear that while driving as enough engine and tire noise was entering the cabin.

Certainly it could be that some noises are more evident on a Tesla, due to no engine noise. A lot of people have reported hearing the fan noise from the AP2 computer behind the glove compartment, for example, a type of humm that normally could be covered by engine noise.

That said, Tesla's are still more prone to tire noise (less sound proofing than on premium Germans of the same price-range) and Model X has a bit of a reputation for a loud A/C compressor.

In summary, I can see Tesla still having certain legitimate noise issues due to 1) quality and 2) less sound-proofing/less focus on interior quality and comforts than price-range competition. But also certain amount of normal noises can be heard due to the otherwise fairly quiet electric car.

Reactions: outie
At slow speeds (0 to say, 35), my car is so quiet it's ridiculous. Sometimes I'm like "what the hell is that noise" only to realize it's some sound coming from the electronic music I'm listening to. :) At highways speeds and constant velocity, it's true that the Tesla is no quieter than any modern car due to wind/tire noise as mentioned. People have proven this with db meters.

At slow speeds (0 to say, 35), my car is so quiet it's ridiculous. Sometimes I'm like "what the hell is that noise" only to realize it's some sound coming from the electronic music I'm listening to. :) At highways speeds and constant velocity, it's true that the Tesla is no quieter than any modern car due to wind/tire noise as mentioned. People have proven this with db meters.

Agree except when it's not constant velocity.......any sort of acceleration or deceleration is decidedly quieter. It's rare that I drive at a 'constant velocity' even on a fwy, so for me it's quieter over all. Also, the smooth feeling as compared to the traditional kick probably tricks me into thinking it's quieter as well. Love science but, perception matters.

Agree except when it's not constant velocity.......any sort of acceleration or deceleration is decidedly quieter. It's rare that I drive at a 'constant velocity' even on a fwy, so for me it's quieter over all. Also, the smooth feeling as compared to the traditional kick probably tricks me into thinking it's quieter as well. Love science but, perception matters.

I'm just saying that if you're just cruising along, it's pretty much the same. But if you do accelerate, it's way quieter. That's what I said above re: downshifting, etc.. I think that's what you're saying too?

Reactions: NikeWings
I recall somewhere along the line JB mentioned in an interview that active spoiler improves 1% range in P90D.
It was never clear to me that the 1% was compared to not having a variable spoiler to a fixed position. Never seen any real actual data that supports the claim. I would like to see some comparative data since it has been almost two years with Xs with fixed and variable spoilers. Might come down to just a looks preference.

I'm just saying that if you're just cruising along, it's pretty much the same. But if you do accelerate, it's way quieter. That's what I said above re: downshifting, etc.. I think that's what you're saying too?

Yep and adding my reality vs theory, which suggests that while db measurements are probably accurate, I don't drive at a constant velocity for any meaningful period of time and therefore, its voodoo to me. I can't be convinced due to points mentioned, that my car and an ICE are equally quiet or equally spewing noise pollution...whichever the case may be. But your science is probably spot on, and my LA traffic/driving prevents me from appreciating the comparison. Thankfully. :rolleyes:

It was never clear to me that the 1% was compared to not having a variable spoiler to a fixed position. Never seen any real actual data that supports the claim. I would like to see some comparative data since it has been almost two years with Xs with fixed and variable spoilers. Might come down to just a looks preference.
I am fairly certain JB was referring to the difference theoretically to have a P90D with fixed spoiler. (Via computer simulation I presume, if it was ever produced internally. I am not aware of any production P90Ds to have a fixed spoiler) 2.5 miles of difference is too small for any meaningful data to be collected IMHO. One year of additional battery degradation variance would wipe out the advantage easily...