TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Retractible solar umbrella

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by TEG, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

2. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

#3 TOBASH, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  3. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I thought leaves were the part of the plant that collected sunlight...

4. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

LOL. You're correct. Leaves for solar collection, roots for water and most nutrients, and flowers for reproduction with pollen and nectar to attract bees and such. I'd hate to see the mechanical bee trying to pollinate this flower!

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

mechanical_bee_by_3d_brainx-d4ag62v.jpg

6. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

TEG, that is friggen' awesome!

7. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I've seen them assemble that canopy... Really wouldn't call it "retractible" thought -- assembly took at least 30 minutes -- and all the parts were not stored in the Roadster...

Basically, they removed the passenger seat and welded in some steel plates to support the post. The metal post goes in, and then the solar panels are mounted on the post and all plugged in together.

Neat idea, but the concept is really more of a back-yard solar array that could be on a solar-tracking mount. Put a table underneath it in the shade!

8. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Dr."SolarMan" does a great job marketing his solar ideas with that Roadster. The Valley of the Sun will be a whole lot less interesting if he ever moves away.

That's me he's talking to in that third photo! It was at a Cars & Coffee in Scottsdale; late February, I think.

9. shrink

shrink Member

I was at that event, too - in the unmodified Orange Roadster. I love Dr. Hui. He's a little nutty and he knows it, but its part of his marketing. I really do admire and respect his passion and advocacy for renewable energy out here. He's very popular with the kids at these events and they run up to him saying, "Solarman!" He can just as easily have a very intelligent and thoughtful adult conversation of course, too. I mean he is a real professor.