Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro fit AP 2.5 to 3.0 is starting to happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MX and MS With MCU1 requires removal of the dash to get the MCU out.
What’s your definition of ‘dash’? To install the front camera (from that project) you need to access the AP CPU to change the cables. Same process. No biggie. You remove the glove compartment.

Still would take a Ranger about 30 minutes. Don’t know about software time.

Last edited:
What’s your definition of ‘dash’? To install the front camera (from that project) you need to access the AP CPU to change the cables. Same process. No biggie. You remove the glove compartment.

Still would take a Ranger about 30 minutes. Don’t know about software time.
I believe the MCU is what they upgrade for this. In the S and X its attached to the screen. It's pretty involved to replace it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I believe the MCU is what they upgrade for this. In the S and X its attached to the screen. It's pretty involved to replace it.
The MCU is NOT the AP CPU.
I just talked to my local Tesla mobile service guy.

He said that the hardware is ready to go and a 5 to 10 minute job to do the swap in model s and x

But on the software side it can take half a day to get the job done

So they are waiting until the software is a one button push for the service guys
Half the dash? You remove the glove box and swap the boards. I’ve seen someone say mobile can do it in 30 mins.

What’s the ‘half the dash’ from?

It may take a while for the software load and calibrate, sure.

Reactions: Pale_Rider and VikH
I agree!
I'm so tired of seeing people confuse the two and giving out misinformation.
OoOo.. Crap.. Musk himself caused this.. I recall him saying somewhere its basically replacing the MCU.. He was probably talking about the M3 since its one unit... Now i'm really sad and want to return my car.. been patiently waiting for a better computer all this time. I should have returned it back when I bought it. I emailed musk directly at the time complaining about it as it was buggy and slow AF on the ride home. No response. Missed the MCU2 MXs by a week.

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
Picked up the car and drove home. Haven't noticed too much difference other than sensor proximity now has this annoying piercing sound. Can you turned this down or off?
Did have 'Joe [quieter] Mode' enabled already? If 'yes' then did it get reset somehow.

I wouldn't expect HW3 to act any different as AFAIK or read there has not been customized NN or other code writen to enable it's additional speed/functionality. Perhaps I've missed those conversations/threads.

Did have 'Joe [quieter] Mode' enabled already? If 'yes' then did it get reset somehow.

I wouldn't expect HW3 to act any different as AFAIK or read there has not been customized NN or other code writen to enable it's additional speed/functionality. Perhaps I've missed those conversations/threads.

Ty! Joe mode is not activated. Will activate and see how it goes.

I believe you have missed those threads. I seem to recall at least one thread where when V3 came out, it was not as good as V2. I also recall at least one thread where a separate inactive NN that required more power than available for V2 was found to already exist in the firmware prior to V3 being released in production.

I believe you have missed those threads. I seem to recall at least one thread where when V3 came out, it was not as good as V2. I also recall at least one thread where a separate inactive NN that required more power than available for V2 was found to already exist in the firmware prior to V3 being released in production.
We have AP2, AP2.5 and AP3 vehicles and never noticed the AP3 vehicles behaving any worse than the AP2 or AP2.5 vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
We have AP2, AP2.5 and AP3 vehicles and never noticed the AP3 vehicles behaving any worse than the AP2 or AP2.5 vehicles.
I believe that. I wouldn't expect any regression for going to faster processing hardware with no change in vision hardware, and while I recall reading something about it, it may very well have been pre-release conjecture (this would still count as at least one thread).

I believe that. I wouldn't expect any regression for going to faster processing hardware with no change in vision hardware, and while I recall reading something about it, it may very well have been pre-release conjecture (this would still count as at least one thread).
IIRC, it was mentioned about the time the first AP3 hardware was being released. I think they were just trying to downplay the importance (like they did when AP2.5 came out after AP2) to prevent those who received the old hardware from cancelling their orders.

From the other related thread:

screenshot_20191011-225148_facebook-jpg.465144

• Funny
Reactions: SunCharged