Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Retrofit complete on my early 2020. Took a couple times for them to get all the right parts in, but it’s all good.
Word of the wise, if your car doesn’t have the threaded holes, make sure they include the M6 rivnuts, washers, and fasteners.
I decided to schedule this upgrade, was curious where the thread holes are that you're referring to here? I've been taking the underhood apron off regularly recently so want to check this before my HEPA installation appointment. If you have pictures, would be extremely helpful, if not, I could try locating it which some description of where to look. Thanks!

Are you referring to the holes for these 2 bolts?
Replacing_the_HEPA_Filters.jpg

I decided to schedule this upgrade, was curious where the thread holes are that you're referring to here? I've been taking the underhood apron off regularly recently so want to check this before my HEPA installation appointment. If you have pictures, would be extremely helpful, if not, I could try locating it which some description of where to look. Thanks!

Are you referring to the holes for these 2 bolts?
View attachment 1009809
Yep those are the hole locations. On earlier models such as our 2020, the holes are not threaded. Simply a smaller hole is there that needs to be drilled out to accommodate the correct rivet nut which will accept the bolts in the kit.

I requested service thru the app for the HEPA retrofit and was quoted $318 for parts and installation. The estimate revealed about $175 for parts. I messaged the Dublin Service center asking to purchase the parts over the counter and was denied. The rep replied saying retrofit parts may not be purchased which is contrary to information I read online.

I’m wondering how the self-installers here were able to buy the parts. Install seems really easy, even if needing to drill and rivet. I’d like to pay a cheaper cost for the software activation. Thanks

I requested service thru the app for the HEPA retrofit and was quoted $318 for parts and installation. The estimate revealed about $175 for parts. I messaged the Dublin Service center asking to purchase the parts over the counter and was denied. The rep replied saying retrofit parts may not be purchased which is contrary to information I read online.

I’m wondering how the self-installers here were able to buy the parts. Install seems really easy, even if needing to drill and rivet. I’d like to pay a cheaper cost for the software activation. Thanks
Seems like a lot of effort to save 130$ and letting them do it right. Plus you would still need to pay them to update the computer so you would save even less. Doesn’t seem like a deal to me.

Reactions: bluenycom

In my case, the tech came to my house to install then my work to update the software. It's worth the extra cost for the convenient.

Reactions: Yelobird
so, I’ve had a rattle/creak sound coming from the front of the dash for a while now.
I finally found out what it was today. Tesla didn’t secure all the plastic clips to the decorative cover over the HEPA filter. I put some rubber foam behind the clips and put it back in place. Rattles/creaking sound gone.

Just thought I’d put that out there in case anyone else has this issue.

I got my HEPA retrofit a few weeks ago to my 2021 MY and it's working well. I did notice slightly decreased air flow vs. pre-HEPA. I can now run the HVAC/heat/air and not smell anything getting into the car. I don't have to use re-circulation anymore! I have not actually tried the Bio weapons defense mode yet. So far loving it!

Reactions: jf64k
Just had my 2021 MY retrofit installed at service center. For some reason the biodefense button does not show up in the car climate control. But it does show up in my app. Anyone experience that?
Maybe try doing the scroll wheel reboot of the screen in the car? I had to that when I swapped steering wheel / yoke on my MXP after updating the config in service mode. After the scrool wheel reboot, the display showed the proper setting.

Just had my 2021 MY retrofit installed at service center. For some reason the biodefense button does not show up in the car climate control. But it does show up in my app. Anyone experience that?
I had that happen too. I noticed while I was still at the Service Centre. Someone came out to look at it and it appeared. I think it may have still been updating. Check again.