Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to retro fit it today too. I already got turned down two times. When i got the parts and through the app to get the software. Any tips to get sw on this thing…

M5 rivet, 40mm m5 bolt and washer. Was needed for my 2021 MYP
I think the best way to get the bioweapon button added is via a mobile service appointment for something totally unrelated. In my case, it was a tire rotation and a warranty item. Be nice to the guy, offer food, drink, etc., maybe even offer some $$$ if he can hook you up. It’s under the radar so if you want help may have to incentivize. It worked for me last month!

I think the best way to get the bioweapon button added is via a mobile service appointment for something totally unrelated. In my case, it was a tire rotation and a warranty item. Be nice to the guy, offer food, drink, etc., maybe even offer some $$$ if he can hook you up. It’s under the radar so if you want help may have to incentivize. It worked for me last month!
If anyone does this, absolutely do NOT call and complain if it disappears after an update or anything. That’s how they crack down on stuff and never do it again.

Reactions: WattTheHeck
Hi every one, just to share my experience by ordering the Hepa Upgrade kit from the Tesla Website. As already stated you log in to your account you chose hepa ugrade then select model y with your vin. You take model X and select model Y. (model S upgrade let you know you can't with your model Y) so then you can order the upgrade for model y with installation so after you chose an apointement I went to Tesla Montreal and ask them before ordering and they told me If you can ordered it we will install it. than yesterday I went for my installation and suprise I lost 3 hours waiting and wainting and then they told me they can't insall even if it is a model Y hepa retrofit. I ask them to put the software and I will install the rest myself and they said that is not possible in Canada we don't have access to that software. Now I have a upgrade retrofit for model Y that I paid 780$ canadian and trying to get reimburse. In another way I found a place that will install everything except the software and also have all parts and labor for around 350.

Reactions: everydaychris
If anyone does this, absolutely do NOT call and complain if it disappears after an update or anything. That’s how they crack down on stuff and never do it again.
damn so it can
Wait, so there is an official Model Y Bioweapon upgrade from Tesla now? Of course just a couple weeks after I trade in! ;)
no there isn't
but if you go to the model x bio upgrade you can select your Y vehicle. However when an owner tried it they rejected him

Just out of curiosity/to clarify: Bioweapon Defense Mode (BDM) is just a setting that runs the cabin fan--that pulls in air from the outside--at a high speed to rapidly achieve a high degree of cabin air quality in a potential situation in which the outdoor air quality is very bad. So put another way, BDM allows you to set your fan speed to a setting >10? This is what I gather from the link below.

Putting the Tesla HEPA Filter and Bioweapon Defense Mode to the Test

I only ask because it appears as some are very focused on getting BDM activated in their vehicles and I want to make sure I accurately understand what it will offer.

Hi every one, just to share my experience by ordering the Hepa Upgrade kit from the Tesla Website. As already stated you log in to your account you chose hepa ugrade then select model y with your vin. You take model X and select model Y. (model S upgrade let you know you can't with your model Y) so then you can order the upgrade for model y with installation so after you chose an apointement I went to Tesla Montreal and ask them before ordering and they told me If you can ordered it we will install it.
Do you know if you got the right parts for MY, or did you get MX parts?

Just out of curiosity/to clarify: Bioweapon Defense Mode (BDM) is just a setting that runs the cabin fan--that pulls in air from the outside--at a high speed to rapidly achieve a high degree of cabin air quality in a potential situation in which the outdoor air quality is very bad. So put another way, BDM allows you to set your fan speed to a setting >10? This is what I gather from the link below.

Putting the Tesla HEPA Filter and Bioweapon Defense Mode to the Test

I only ask because it appears as some are very focused on getting BDM activated in their vehicles and I want to make sure I accurately understand what it will offer.
After retrofitting the hepa filter, airflow is severely restricted. Especially when not on "auto" fan mode. To the point it's almost unusable. The software update for BDM doesn't just add the button, but also "re-maps" the fan settings to adjust for the restricted airflow. This is the main reason for wanting the software update after the retrofit, not getting the button itself

Source: I have done the retrofit and exclusively keep it on recirculate until I can get the software

Do you know if you got the right parts for MY, or did you get MX parts?
Was My parts that is why Don t understand why they were not able to install it. I also ask them I will install it myself and then come back for software upgrade to have the BWM button because software upgrade is included in the upgrade package they went talking to manager and they said no they can t because they have not access anymore

After retrofitting the hepa filter, airflow is severely restricted. Especially when not on "auto" fan mode. To the point it's almost unusable. The software update for BDM doesn't just add the button, but also "re-maps" the fan settings to adjust for the restricted airflow. This is the main reason for wanting the software update after the retrofit, not getting the button itself

Source: I have done the retrofit and exclusively keep it on recirculate until I can get the software
Yeah it is decreased but i never have the fan above 5 normally. So now i have at maybe 8.

I was actually expecting it to be worse. It functions fine for me. Not saying i do not want the button. Just saying its silly saying it’s unusable.

I know you did not say that but to get people worried. I would do this retro even if the fan was worse

Reactions: Itsuo-DC and jd007

Thank you, so people who have BDM keep it selected most of the time? Or, are you saying the entire system is remapped so that a BDM enabled "5" on fan speed might be equavlent to the same output as "8" w/o BDM?)

I keep mine on auto fairly exclusively so I'm hoping it won't make too much of a difference. Not to mention I precondition the car the majority of the time so maybe it will just take longer in more extreme conditions?
Yeah it is decreased but i never have the fan above 5 normally. So now i have at maybe 8.

I was actually expecting it to be worse. It functions fine for me. Not saying i do not want the button. Just saying its silly saying it’s unusable.

I know you did not say that but to get people worried. I would do this retro even if the fan was worse

@akballow are you keeping your system on recirculate to minimize the impact of the new filter? (I did the retrofit but haven't driven in a few weeks.)

Thank you, so people who have BDM keep it selected most of the time? Or, are you saying the entire system is remapped so that a BDM enabled "5" on fan speed might be equavlent to the same output as "8" w/o BDM?)

I keep mine on auto fairly exclusively so I'm hoping it won't make too much of a difference. Not to mention I precondition the car the majority of the time so maybe it will just take longer in more extreme conditions?

@akballow are you keeping your system on recirculate to minimize the impact of the new filter? (I did the retrofit but haven't driven in a few weeks.)
I use auto and if i know something is going to be stinky i bump up the fan and use the hepa filter

Reactions: jd007 and Itsuo-DC
I have try another thing yesterday I put a service in the mobile app to request mobile service and put in description other upgrade software. and I wrote in the description of the request upgrade software for BMD mode button with a picture of it and description.Then I have upload a picture of my install MY Hepa. 2 hours after they have book me a mobile service for september 14th. I am just what that will do. How can they book an appointment if they don't put the software?

Last edited:

This is only my understanding of it - as there was another user (I believe it may have been on reddit) successfully got a mobile tech to update the software. It remaps the fans regardless of if you are using the button or not. Similar to your example - where a fan level "5" is now an "8", etc. In more temperate weather, or if you precondition, it should be ok. My experience when installing it in the summer, and the car is 100+ degrees - putting it on "auto" at 70, it was not cooling nearly enough, especially if the trip was not very long.

• Informative
Reactions: jd007 and Itsuo-DC
Easiest retrofit ever
Easier than replacing my cabin air filters lol

I have a march 2021 build so I had the guide holes and the threads. Because of this it was SUPER easy. NO need for rivets or anything.
I even just used bolts and washers that I had at home lying around and it fit perfectly.

Removing it was simple too. I'll do a video on it. But long story short, I was testing out the bolts and ended up dropping one of them into the abyss so I had to remove the frunk piece anyways and realized I was halfway done and ended up just doing the retrofit then and there.

I too also was careful but ended up breaking one of the tabs that kind of hold the apron in place that attaches to the side of the car haha. doesn't seem to matter though.

Air flow DEF reduced with outside air but I also have the "hepa" cabin air filters that I need to replace with normal pleated ones to increase the air flow.

Now all I need is the bio defense button. I may end up bringing some pizza to the workers there and ask them for a favor.. we shall see

Reactions: Itsuo-DC and jd007