Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is the bioweapon cars have both the large HEPA filter and the standard double packed small cabin filters. When in normal mode those small filters are used, when activating bioweapon the cabin air is then passed through the HEPA filter...

Its not a complicated system. We are putting the hepa filter in front the car cabin. Before the hepa the car pulls air though nothing other then just a snorkle. With hepa we add the filter on top of it. Air from outside goes through the hepa filter.

Teslas marketing team made bwd mode sound like air is directed to the hepa filter only when the button is pressed. All it means is recirculating is off and high fan speed. Any time a car with a hepa filter turns of recirculating, air comes from outside via the hepa filter.
Very interesting. I would think the HEPA probably should be changed twice a year then (if not more depending on location). I think that's usually the recommended change cycles for HEPA for home/office stuff...

No luck with me

Attachments

• 87E41418-8F15-44BF-97AF-26AFE015D2DA.jpeg
    87E41418-8F15-44BF-97AF-26AFE015D2DA.jpeg
    752.4 KB · Views: 128
No luck with me
interesting... I wonder what the others will have for answer. I don't know if what I try to do before doing that did help. I have order the Hepa retrofit for model X in my account and then selected model y then they shipped the upgrade with the appointment to the service Center and they refuse to install it. I told them I will install it myself and put the software after they said no. I then cancel the upgrade on the site and I put a very bad evaluation on the service because I lost like 3 to 4 hours waiting at that service center. Maybe when I put the call on the mobile service my account was taking care by someone at a higher level. Still suprise me for you because you are right not fare from the factory in CA

interesting... I wonder what the others will have for answer. I don't know if what I try to do before doing that did help. I have order the Hepa retrofit for model X in my account and then selected model y then they shipped the upgrade with the appointment to the service Center and they refuse to install it. I told them I will install it myself and put the software after they said no. I then cancel the upgrade on the site and I put a very bad evaluation on the service because I lost like 3 to 4 hours waiting at that service center. Maybe when I put the call on the mobile service my account was taking care by someone at a higher level. Still suprise me for you because you are right not fare from the factory in CA
They're not officially doing upgrades. Some people get lucky that a tech does it some don't. I wouldn't put bad reviews for them not doing unofficial work.

Reactions: DanDi58
They're not officially doing upgrades. Some people get lucky that a tech does it some don't. I wouldn't put bad reviews for them not doing unofficial work.
I did not put bad review for that. I put bad review because I have order the upgrade kit hepa for model Y it is on the website it is like 500$. They should not sell that it is an error on their website. I just check it again today and it is not corrected. You go to your account (and log in) and can purchase the model Y upgrade kit, this is an error. I think if you buy that confirm with service before you buy and they told yes we can install it and you buy it lose 3 to 4 hours waiting for nothing then they tell you it is an error to the website. That is a bad review

Reactions: KirillK
I did not put bad review for that. I put bad review because I have order the upgrade kit hepa for model Y it is on the website it is like 500$. They should not sell that it is an error on their website. I just check it again today and it is not corrected. You go to your account (and log in) and can purchase the model Y upgrade kit, this is an error. I think if you buy that confirm with service before you buy and they told yes we can install it and you buy it lose 3 to 4 hours waiting for nothing then they tell you it is an error to the website. That is a bad review
Can you share a link to that Model Y HEPA upgrade, please? I see such only for Model X.

Very interesting. I would think the HEPA probably should be changed twice a year then (if not more depending on location). I think that's usually the recommended change cycles for HEPA for home/office stuff...
Home and office HEPA consumer filters often are run for long times, or even 24/7. Those filters will need to be changed far more than in a car that might be only using it an hour or so a day on average.

Home and office HEPA consumer filters often are run for long times, or even 24/7. Those filters will need to be changed far more than in a car that might be only using it an hour or so a day on average.
The car usually is bringing in outdoor air all the time though, most households recycle the air and it's just how leaky your building is... I would assume the particulate load on the indoor HEPA filters would be considerably less, unless you keep your windows open all the time...

Sure, it's a bug that they let you order it but it CLEARLY says it's only for X.

"2015-2020 | Model X HEPA Air Filtration Upgrade"

"Upgrade your Model X with HEPA Air Filtration for the freshest cabin air available. This package includes Bioweapon Defense Mode firmware as a feature of the HEPA system and comes with a new HEPA filter."

"Note: Compatible with Model X vehicles produced in 2015-2020."

So three different times before you hit order it says that it ONLY is for the Model X... Tesla certainly should get around to correcting that, but I think anyone would expect a reasonable person would understand the kit is only for the X.

Reactions: everydaychris
im gonna try it out

Can you share a link to that Model Y HEPA upgrade, please? I see such only for Model X.
Log in to your account then chose hepa filter then you can selected the car you want to Instal. You can with model x because it is the same filter part as model y if you try model s it clearly say not compatible if you choose x it ask to install on model y and the. They send you the model y upgrade filter. But they can t install

Sure, it's a bug that they let you order it but it CLEARLY says it's only for X.

"2015-2020 | Model X HEPA Air Filtration Upgrade"

"Upgrade your Model X with HEPA Air Filtration for the freshest cabin air available. This package includes Bioweapon Defense Mode firmware as a feature of the HEPA system and comes with a new HEPA filter."

"Note: Compatible with Model X vehicles produced in 2015-2020."

So three different times before you hit order it says that it ONLY is for the Model X... Tesla certainly should get around to correcting that, but I think anyone would expect a reasonable person would understand the kit is only for the X.
Have you try it? Log in and see model s say not compatible model x say to.install on model y try it log in and choose. Anyway what does it mather? I ask service before and they told me it is dame filter. I also made the installation and these are the same parts

Log in to your account then chose hepa filter then you can selected the car you want to Instal. You can with model x because it is the same filter part as model y if you try model s it clearly say not compatible if you choose x it ask to install on model y and the. They send you the model y upgrade filter. But they can t install
I still can see only Model X HEPA Filter upgrade, costs $500. It says "Model X models 2015-2020". I think that the fact you can add it to card and select to install it to Model Y is a bug of the website. Maybe they are working on making Model Y HEPA upgrade the same experience as Model X and accidently rolled out this feauture in e-Store before rolling it out to service centers.
Parts required to do HEPA upgrade for Model Y are not the same that are used on Model X. Plus I wouldn't pay $500 for that upgrade. $117 that I paid for parts to do DIY install - that's fine. But $500 - doesn't worth it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-30 181713.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-30 181713.png
    808.1 KB · Views: 98
Maybe it's only on the Canada website, but I don't see the MY HEPA filter upgrade available on either the website or the app. Just replacement filters for the MS and MX.

Maybe it's only on the Canada website, but I don't see the MY HEPA filter upgrade available on either the website or the app. Just replacement filters for the MS and MX.
You can sign in and select Model X HEPA upgrade. There you can pick your Model Y from the drop down menu, which seems to me as bug on their website. There is no Model Y HEPA upgrade.