Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update...I give up! Just had mobile service out to replace the cabin air filters. I asked if he could connect to toolbox and change the vehicle configuration to have the HEPA filter. He said those changes require someone higher up to approve it and I should schedule a service appointment at the service center. At this point, the AC still works fine and it's not worth it to keep trying to find someone who will update the car just for the BWD button and maybe a little fast fan speed.

Any recent data points on being able to order the parts?

I just tried today. They rejected the purchase request. Not sure why it is such a problem to sell a $200 air filter :(

I will ask a friend with a newer model Y equipped with HEPA to place an order in their app

207502.jpg

207501.jpg

After driving for a few months with the hardware and without the BDM software, I finally did it and got it! All it took was for the right mobile ranger to come and give it a shot. I had an appointment for another issue and was chatting him up when I casually ask him to check if he could help me update to get BDM. He plugged in his specialized ethernet cable push. The update did a hard reboot and bam! So happy!

Attachments

• PXL_20230510_201608678.jpg
    PXL_20230510_201608678.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 133
After driving for a few months with the hardware and without the BDM software, I finally did it and got it! All it took was for the right mobile ranger to come and give it a shot. I had an appointment for another issue and was chatting him up when I casually ask him to check if he could help me update to get BDM. He plugged in his specialized ethernet cable push. The update did a hard reboot and bam! So happy!
Whooohooo. I got lucky today as well. A very nice mobile ranger who came to diagnose why my seat sometimes stopped during returning to the proper position, got me the BDM button 🎉🎉🎉. Now if only there’s a retrofit for the MCU3 and heated steering wheel, I’ll be golden!

I still can't figure why the heated steering wheel doesn't work. There didn't seem to be a change in the front side modules between 2020 MY and when they added the updated heated steering wheel. All the controls/modules are contained within the wheel, and the harness has the same number of pins/wires. Just seems like there should be a way to do this...

I still can't figure why the heated steering wheel doesn't work. There didn't seem to be a change in the front side modules between 2020 MY and when they added the updated heated steering wheel. All the controls/modules are contained within the wheel, and the harness has the same number of pins/wires. Just seems like there should be a way to do this...

Check out this thread, people have found a way but need some controllers and some extra hardware to make it work.

I hadn’t asked in a while, so I figured I would open another ticket. That same day Support reached back out to me and asked me to clarify my request about adding the config option. then I explained that I had purchased in retrofitted the hardware, and did not hear back. This morning I went to adjust some HVAC settings and noticed that I had the BDM button. Later this afternoon the same tech closed my ticket saying there is no official retrofit. Did he try and think it didn’t work? Did he hook it up on the down low? I have no idea but persistence is key; just a shame it took over a year.

So I was able to pretty easily order the parts OTC from the phone app. Arrived about a week later and then I picked them up from the service center. Upon removing the cover on my 2021 Model Y Performance (actually delivered Nov 2020), I see I have the 2 holes needed to mount the large filter piece but do not have the alignment holes. Also the mounting holes are not threaded so I ordered some stainless rivet nuts to put in there. Trying to decide if I should drill holes for alignment pins or just cut them off the part with a Dremel.

My biggest concern at this point is figuring out how to make sure it's properly aligned if I remove the alignment pins from the plastic part I'm installing… 🤔

So I was able to pretty easily order the parts OTC from the phone app. Arrived about a week later and then I picked them up from the service center. Upon removing the cover on my 2021 Model Y Performance (actually delivered Nov 2020), I see I have the 2 holes needed to mount the large filter piece but do not have the alignment holes. Also the mounting holes are not threaded so I ordered some stainless rivet nuts to put in there. Trying to decide if I should drill holes for alignment pins or just cut them off the part with a Dremel.

My biggest concern at this point is figuring out how to make sure it's properly aligned if I remove the alignment pins from the plastic part I'm installing… 🤔
Honestly, it's probably fine to cut off the alignment pins. I'm not even sure why they're needed. The primary holes to mount the filter will align everything just fine and it won't move once it's tightened down. I drilled the holes for the alignment pins (and the primary mounting holes), but mostly because I like doing things the hard way and it would have bothered my OCD. I don't think it actually did anything at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: WattTheHeck
Ugh. Just tried putting in a rivet nut and the tool snapped… This is what I get for ordering cheap tools from Amazon. Now I need to order an extractor bit set I guess. Also I was under the impression people were using M6 rivets and bolts on their existing holes but I could only fit an M5 rivet nut into the hole in my car.
IMG_0055.jpeg IMG_0054.jpeg

Ugh. Just tried putting in a rivet nut and the tool snapped… This is what I get for ordering cheap tools from Amazon. Now I need to order an extractor bit set I guess. Also I was under the impression people were using M6 rivets and bolts on their existing holes but I could only fit an M5 rivet nut into the hole in my car.
View attachment 972448 View attachment 972449
Oh no, that sucks!! Sorry that happened! I think that’s the same tool I got on Amazon and mine worked luckily. I’m not 100% sure but you might just be able to drill out the entire rivnut and then just insert a new one (with a new tool obviously).

• Helpful
Reactions: WattTheHeck