Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed rivet nuts and completed the retrofit.
M5 rivet nuts will fit without any additional drilling, no alignment issues. A M5x35 or 40mm is enough and some washers as stated before.

Attachments

• PXL_20220617_230921155.jpg
    PXL_20220617_230921155.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 869
  • PXL_20220618_013306894.jpg
    PXL_20220618_013306894.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 179
Happy to share the experience to help others retrofit the filter. Yes, with the manual and all the information provided this is a relatively safe and easy install. I want to add that the small black plastic side clips attached on the fenders for the apron/cowl and frunk could break easily. Be careful pulling those two items out and setting back in. Relatively small thing but just in case. Also, @FrostY stated his 2020 MY did not have the threading and the guides so to reiterate on checking that those exist on the vehicle before ordering parts.

Lastly, I went to a showroom and checked the AC out on a MY with BDM and the airflow feels pretty similar to my retrofit Y set on fresh air. So in a way, from my perspective, it appears reduced (may be subjective) coming from the original open intake but then checking out an actual BDM MY demo unit, it seems the reduced airflow is normal for these newer cars. The only other thing I can add is the way the HEPA filter is designed to take in air, the fan noise subjectively feels lower pitched which is an improvement over the higher pitched fan noise on the open duct.
Didn’t know what black plastic clips you were talking about, but now I do when I broke one of them when putting the piece back on. I just wanted to see if my April 2021 had the holes. LOL

Reactions: Silverlitmoon
Didn’t know what black plastic clips you were talking about, but now I do when I broke one of them when putting the piece back on. I just wanted to see if my April 2021 had the holes. LOL
Good thing is I don’t think those clips are too important with all the white cone clips on the Apron/cowl. They are also used on the frunk tub and the part number for that clip I think is on the frunk diagram in the EPC if you did want to replace.

Happy to share the experience to help others retrofit the filter. Yes, with the manual and all the information provided this is a relatively safe and easy install. I want to add that the small black plastic side clips attached on the fenders for the apron/cowl and frunk could break easily. Be careful pulling those two items out and setting back in. Relatively small thing but just in case. Also, @FrostY stated his 2020 MY did not have the threading and the guides so to reiterate on checking that those exist on the vehicle before ordering parts.

Lastly, I went to a showroom and checked the AC out on a MY with BDM and the airflow feels pretty similar to my retrofit Y set on fresh air. So in a way, from my perspective, it appears reduced (may be subjective) coming from the original open intake but then checking out an actual BDM MY demo unit, it seems the reduced airflow is normal for these newer cars. The only other thing I can add is the way the HEPA filter is designed to take in air, the fan noise subjectively feels lower pitched which is an improvement over the higher pitched fan noise on the open duct.
This might be a dumb question but what are the M5 hex bolts for? There are two bolts in the mounting holes already, do these not work?

This might be a dumb question but what are the M5 hex bolts for? There are two bolts in the mounting holes already, do these not work?
First thing, for an April 2021 build that has existing threaded inserts and guide holes you would want to use M6 bolt sizing that are also 40mm in length. An M5 sizing rivet nut was used for a different 2020 build that did not have existing threaded inserts or extra holes for the guides that had to be drilled in since the older Ys appear to not have them. On the second thing, I can only guess that you are looking at the two existing flange bolts that are below the actual mount points above. The hepa mount points should have a hole with threading and another plain hole nearby. There shouldn’t be any existing bolts there. I posted photos of the general areas circled somewhere in this thread as well.

Here is a better photo as well of where to bolt on the filter. One m6 each side and done. Insure the HEPA opening sits tight and seals with the air duct before bolting the thing on. There is a white rubber gasket around the bottom opening of the HEPA where it connects to the new air duct. Hope this helps with the install!

Attachments

• E193BE39-118C-40D8-B84F-9762F478832F.jpeg
    E193BE39-118C-40D8-B84F-9762F478832F.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: myshenaini
After much consideration, I cancelled my parts order and decided not to do the retrofitting. I just had a new AC compressor put in at the beginning of June because of a defect so I want to have a warranty that they can’t deny. Just worried that if my compressor/heat pump fails again, they might try to blame me for tinkering with the HVAC in any manner that causes any future problems.

Got all my parts yesterday. The service tech more or less confirmed that there weren’t other parts needed and that the retrofit shouldn’t cause issues. You can clearly tell the decreased flow when using the non recirculate setting, and full fan speed with no recirculate does seem to provide less airflow than the demo unit I checked out BMD mode on a few months ago to the best of my memory… either way the install was super easy and it feels great having a filter on the air that is being brought into the cabin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Got all my parts yesterday. The service tech more or less confirmed that there weren’t other parts needed and that the retrofit shouldn’t cause issues. You can clearly tell the decreased flow when using the non recirculate setting, and full fan speed with no recirculate does seem to provide less airflow than the demo unit I checked out BMD mode on a few months ago to the best of my memory… either way the install was super easy and it feels great having a filter on the air that is being brought into the cabin.
Great to hear! I'm still waiting due to backorder, but hopefully this means they have more inventory and I'll receive mine soon.

Awesome! When did you place your order? I'm still waiting on backorder.