Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
China.

That’s why the added it and why they added it to the Y. China has some horrible pollution days and being able to say your car has HEPA filtration when needed is a big selling point.

I’m in Washington State and when we had horrible fires for about a week I would have LOVED that feature. Visibility was down to a few hundred feet, eyes were burning, places closed early so employees could stay home. It was bad.

I would not be surprised if we saw stuff like that at least a few days every summer or something. So to me it still would be a huge benefit and something I would pay for an official upgrade to. I also have horrible seasonal allergies and if I could precondition the cabin before getting into the car, or run it for a couple minutes after just getting in and then use recirc normal AC, that might help a lot by scrubbing the air in the cabin and then just recirculating that air afterwards.

I went ahead and did this retrofit on my 2021 MY. Looking at the manual and parts catalog the fan motor is the exact same with no revisions and the 3 extra parts are completely passive with no wiring. Ordered the revised cowl, HEPA filter and air duct through the Tesla app for pick up at the service center. Came out to around $116 total. Install was easy, hardest part was removing the bubble wrap from the new HEPA filter… mine came with a lot of wrap. You’ll need two M6 bolts around 40mm in length and some washers to bolt the filter on. Either that or get flanged bolts with large flanges. Air flow is reduced a bit from the original open duct design. I ended up installing two of those generic “HEPA” cabin filters (black plastic/foam border and carbon pellets on the backside) under my dash from Amazon which have better airflow than the OEM ones to help with that. It’s a fantastic upgrade for around $100 bucks. Removed all outside smells when the AC is on with recirculation turned off. If you need “Bioweapon Defense” mode just turn your fan to max. Lastly, might be too soon to tell but it may have gotten rid of the AC vinegar/mold smell as well. If it does, that would be a plus.

Attachments

• 89CCCA3B-BF2A-4F1E-9AC1-9228C89E9046.jpeg
    89CCCA3B-BF2A-4F1E-9AC1-9228C89E9046.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 457
  • 8DAFECBA-C50C-48A2-99DB-1054A6B1925C.jpeg
    8DAFECBA-C50C-48A2-99DB-1054A6B1925C.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 1F806AD4-7521-424A-930E-8F1F45B1913A.jpeg
    1F806AD4-7521-424A-930E-8F1F45B1913A.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 285
I went ahead and did this retrofit on my 2021 MY. Looking at the manual and parts catalog the fan motor is the exact same with no revisions and the 3 extra parts are completely passive with no wiring. Ordered the revised cowl, HEPA filter and air duct through the Tesla app for pick up at the service center. Came out to around $116 total. Install was easy, hardest part was removing the bubble wrap from the new HEPA filter… mine came with a lot of wrap. You’ll need two M6 bolts around 40mm in length and some washers to bolt the filter on. Either that or get flanged bolts with large flanges. Air flow is reduced a bit from the original open duct design. I ended up installing two of those generic “HEPA” cabin filters (black plastic/foam border and carbon pellets on the backside) under my dash from Amazon which have better airflow than the OEM ones to help with that. It’s a fantastic upgrade for around $100 bucks. Removed all outside smells when the AC is on with recirculation turned off. If you need “Bioweapon Defense” mode just turn your fan to max. Lastly, might be too soon to tell but it may have gotten rid of the AC vinegar/mold smell as well. If it does, that would be a plus.
You can order the parts via the app?!

Just use the service appointment option and just select other and ask to order the parts for pickup at a service center.

The 3 parts:
REAR APRON 1619812-00-B $26
DUCT 1499137-00-C $10
HEPA Filter 1495167-00-B $70

Interesting...why is the Duct part not part number 1499137-99-C?

Seems like 1499137-99-C is for the HEPA filter, and 1499137-00-C is for the non-HEPA system? At least when I look in EPC.

Interesting...why is the Duct part not part number 1499137-99-C?

Seems like 1499137-99-C is for the HEPA filter, and 1499137-00-C is for the non-HEPA system? At least when I look in EPC.
It’s weird, I had to cross check my invoice and the EPC since you mentioned that. When I ordered, I selected from the HEPA Diagram and those were the right codes at the time and it even says it on my final invoice. But you are right, it shows that the code I listed is for the old one apparently on its own diagram. Just checked now. Not sure what to make of this. When I ordered I was looking at the other diagram With the HEPA. I attached a photo of the invoice and the piece I received. Definitely received the right one. I didn’t ask the advisor for help ordering either and just requested to buy the 3 parts with those codes without providing any reason. Definitely gonna wait for someone else first to attempt to order the parcel shelf upper c-pillar trim now hahaha.

Attachments

• B5EB7D74-8704-42A3-815B-B35EB6D54A77.jpeg
    B5EB7D74-8704-42A3-815B-B35EB6D54A77.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 877EBDB4-C692-495F-A34E-CA137B1AF4A1.jpeg
    877EBDB4-C692-495F-A34E-CA137B1AF4A1.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 282
It’s weird, I had to cross check my invoice and the EPC since you mentioned that. When I ordered, I selected from the HEPA Diagram and those were the right codes at the time and it even says it on my final invoice. But you are right, it shows that the code I listed is for the old one apparently on its own diagram. Just checked now. Not sure what to make of this. When I ordered I was looking at the other diagram With the HEPA. I attached a photo of the invoice and the piece I received. Definitely received the right one. I didn’t ask the advisor for help ordering either and just requested to buy the 3 parts with those codes without providing any reason. Definitely gonna wait for someone else first to attempt to order the parcel shelf upper c-pillar trim now hahaha.

So odd. What part number is listed on the duct itself? I'm about to kick off the order, but just want to make sure. Thanks!

So odd. What part number is listed on the duct itself? I'm about to kick off the order, but just want to make sure. Thanks!
This is the best I can do unfortunately. Thankfully I had some sort of photo and the code is etched on top. I cannot get a new clearer photo of this since that area of the duct is below and blocked by the filter now. It does look like it’s also “00”.

Attachments

• 2FDF8558-5279-4FF2-AAF5-F0E4ACCE1392.jpeg
    2FDF8558-5279-4FF2-AAF5-F0E4ACCE1392.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 272
Reactions: WattTheHeck
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this.

So you originally installed the retrofit and had OEM cabin filters and noticed the reduced air flow so you changed them out with generic internal "HEPA" filters and now the airflow seems back to normal? Thanks!

Update and extra information. I’ve attached the photo of the serial of my original open air duct. This is NOT and I repeat NOT the one to purchase but it helps rule out one of the listed SKUs on EPC for those concerned.

I have been using the AC with the giant new HEPA filter for a while now and on Auto, I have not experienced the smell from the pooling water near the cabin filters/evaporator. I did previously and had to clean every 4 months with kool it. The biggest added benefit of doing this retrofit for me is the ability to run the AC on auto the way it should be at least in my opinion. When the system does automatically select fresh air intake, the air is still being filtered which negates almost all the issues with the original open air intake. This includes leaves, particles getting into the cabin filter area, environmental smells from exhaust etc getting in while driving and lastly it appears to keep the evaporator area dry enough. I am very satisfied with this retrofit even without the software button.

Attachments

• EF2148AC-B913-4FB9-99BE-E39B0A0C6A3C.jpeg
    EF2148AC-B913-4FB9-99BE-E39B0A0C6A3C.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 201
  • B0B36E37-2A34-4BEE-947B-AC84D6456E41.jpeg
    B0B36E37-2A34-4BEE-947B-AC84D6456E41.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 202
So I just installed the retrofit on my 2020 MY and there are no guide wholes or attachment points for the two M6 bolts for the HEPA filter box to the wheel well mount location. I will engineer some attachment points to make it secure
That’s unexpected but a really good point considering how they are making these cars. I have a March 2021 build Y and I had the attachment points all there as if the car was always suppose to have the filter. For anyone looking into installing this, please lift the cowl up and look to insure these points in the photos exists on your vehicle before ordering parts for install.

Attachments

• D4D40BA4-237F-4B40-95A6-4830D482F37E.jpeg
    D4D40BA4-237F-4B40-95A6-4830D482F37E.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 201
  • C973BDDC-CBE4-4640-AB22-0CDEE9ABDF8C.jpeg
    C973BDDC-CBE4-4640-AB22-0CDEE9ABDF8C.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 242
Definitely check. It's not impossible to mount it's just extra effort I have the holes for the botls without the welded nut or the guide points above it.

I'll be checking the wheel well for space to connect a bolt and call it a day

Picked up my order at the Tesla service center today for my-21 Y. I cannot believe how they’re selling this for $106. That’s what I call a screaming deal. And also one of the most under appreciated features. I get used to the stench of traffic in the Y and then after several days drive the S and am like: what!? Can air be this clean! Lol
Will attempt install tonight and hopefully report back tomorrow
EAC26F86-C1B8-467E-BBF6-CA48693F2F8B.jpeg