Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you guys so much for sharing all of this information! I ordered my parts yesterday through the Carlsbad service center. They changed one of my parts though. I requested 1499137-99-C (DUCT, Air Intake), which is the correct part number per the EPC, and they replaced with 1499137-50-B. I searched the EPC Parts Catalog and that doesn't exist. But the part description is a win as it states "HEPA, DUCT" as opposed to "AIR INTAKE" like the 00-C part. Will let you guys know what I receive!

1654899408984.png

Drilled mounting points after aligning and it all sits flush, I need to get some rivet nuts to complete the install since there is a thick structural plate under that attachment hole where the plant installed nut should go. A little cumbersome but we'll worth it!

PXL_20220611_005809428.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220611_005125092.jpg
    PXL_20220611_005125092.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20220610_183607_01.jpg
    IMG_20220610_183607_01.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 140
Drilled mounting points after aligning and it all sits flush, I need to get some rivet nuts to complete the install since there is a thick structural plate under that attachment hole where the plant installed nut should go. A little cumbersome but we'll worth it!

View attachment 815395
Thanks for this.
Are the two existing holes in the correct location to mount? If so, do you just need to enlarge the holes and install rivet nuts?
I have the same setup as you with my 2020.

Reactions: FrostY
I have a March 2021 build Y and I had the attachment points all there as if the car was always suppose to have the filter. For anyone looking into installing this, please lift the cowl up and look to insure these points in the photos exists on your vehicle before ordering parts for install.

Thanks to all for providing potential upgrade paths for older cars without HEPA.

I have an "early" 2021 Model Y, built in Dec 2020. This is one of the first cars rolling off Fremont for 2021, and had the updated interior with the laminated glass, glovebox USB, and metal scroll wheels.

20220612_130324.jpg

20220612_130305.jpg

It doesn't look like I can perform this upgrade easily:

1. Only 2 of the 4 holes needed for the HEPA duct are there. The 2 missing holes are for the alignment pins on the HEPA duct.
2. On the available 2 holes, they are not threaded. I measured these holes with a caliper at exactly 7mm wide.
3. The holes are only about 0.5" inch deep, and I can see a metal plate underneath. It will be difficult to drill through that lower plate.
4. Even if I drill a hole through the bottom plate, the screws (inserted from the top) will need to be secured from the bottom wheelwell area with a nut. I don't want anything that can loosen and fall off down there.
5. Rivet nuts inserted from the top are an option in lieu of #5, but it would need to be a super tight fit to make sure it doesn't come loose and fall out of the frame.

Overall, I don't feel comfortable drilling holes down into the body without knowing what's underneath.
Unfortunately, I will pass on this upgrade. Instead I'll resort to continue using only recirculate for air filtration, and A/C on manual to control condensation/smells.

-----
Another option without drilling may be to Dremel out the alignment pins on the plastic duct box, and just doubleside tape the duct to the metal chassis. I think the pressure from a closed frunk may hold it in adequately?

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverlitmoon
Thanks to all for providing potential upgrade paths for older cars without HEPA.

I have an "early" 2021 Model Y, built in Dec 2020. This is one of the first cars rolling off Fremont for 2021, and had the updated interior with the laminated glass, glovebox USB, and metal scroll wheels.

View attachment 815894

View attachment 815896

1. Only 2 of the 4 holes needed for the HEPA duct are there. The 2 missing holes are for the alignment pins on the HEPA duct.
2. On the available 2 holes, they are not threaded. I measured these holes with a caliper at exactly 7mm wide.
3. The holes are only about 0.5" inch deep, and I can see a metal plate underneath. It will be difficult to drill through that lower plate.
4. Even if I drill a hole through the bottom plate, the screws (inserted from the top) will need to be secured from the bottom wheelwell area with a nut. I don't want anything that can loosen and fall off down there.
5. Rivet nuts inserted from the top are an option in lieu of #5, but it would need to be a super tight fit to make sure it doesn't come loose and fall out of the frame.

Overall, I don't feel comfortable drilling holes down into the body without knowing what's underneath.
Unfortunately, I will pass on this upgrade. Instead I'll resort to continue using only recirculate for air filtration, and A/C on manual to control condensation/smells.

-----
Another option without drilling may be to Dremel out the alignment pins on the plastic duct box, and just doubleside tape the duct to the metal chassis. I think the pressure from a closed frunk may hold it in adequately?
I can definitely understand your decision not to do this. Thank you for providing the build date. I wonder if this was permanently rolled out in manufacturing sometime early into 2021. I guess without enough data points it’s hard to tell currently. Also curious if Tesla didn’t already offer this because they knew it wouldn’t be a drop-in install for every non-BDM Y. Probably mulling over offering it.

View attachment 815894

View attachment 815896

-----
I have been running the upgraded filter box over the past days without rivet nuts (kit is incoming) and there is enough pressure from the alignment pins and the holes I made to keep it in place no rattles or issues so far.

Interested in your suggestion, what would be the benefit over a rivet nut?
I would imagine a rivet nut stud could allow you to align the part easier without the tabs and just use a nut on top. Looking at McMaster-Carr, I don’t see any with studs longer than 1/2”.

I’m going to try an M5 rivet nut, since that lends itself to the hole size in my car. Remember that punches wear, so everyone’s car won’t have the exact same size holes.

Reactions: FrostY
Does anyone see a reason as to why Tesla isn't offering this retrofit? While it does seem simple enough to do myself, I've vowed to not make any mechanical changes to the car until past the warranty period.
Also they probably don't have the capacity. I think part of the reason that Elon has recently talked about expanding service capacity might be to take advantage of retrofit opportunities like this, CCS-capable ECU, maybe even the infamous passenger seat lumbar support. Could certainly generate some additional revenue for them.