Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While cleaning the in cabin evaporator and filter area to get rid of the "pre HEPA filter smell" 🙂, I noticed that the cabin filters were packed with dirt so I threw them away.
Didn't have any replacements on hand and currently driving without the filters. Air feels super clean.
Is there a reason to re-install filters, other than filtering the recirculation? Do the HEPA Y even have in cabin filters?

Interested in your suggestion, what would be the benefit over a rivet nut?

I would imagine a rivet nut stud could allow you to align the part easier without the tabs and just use a nut on top. Looking at McMaster-Carr, I don’t see any with studs longer than 1/2”.

I’m going to try an M5 rivet nut, since that lends itself to the hole size in my car. Remember that punches wear, so everyone’s car won’t have the exact same size holes.

@FrostY I'm thinking that it might be easier than worrying about how far to drill down, how long the fastener should be, etc,

@MattM24 IIRC, they make those studs as long as 30". I'm not sure where to source them though.

Reactions: FrostY and MattM24
Getting a lot of kickback from the service team.

Any suggestions? I just pasted the photo, and the items, said I wanted the items sent to the service center.
602BBD39-4131-4EA3-9662-ABCA7E2A5071.png

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC

Any suggestions? I just pasted the photo, and the items, said I wanted the items sent to the service center.View attachment 816145
:rolleyes: good deals don't last long! Maybe we can order individual pieces, as opposed to all three, where it's not so obvious what's going on... Another options would be obtaining them from salvage vehicles?

I still haven't heard from my SC since I wasn't able to get an appointment until 6/30. I now suspect I get pushback like everyone else. Oh well...

I haven't been told "no" yet from Tyco Rd in Virginia...but still awaiting a response. Guess because I had to schedule an appointment relatively far in the future they haven't reacted yet?

I don't know how they can refuse parts purchases. That is ripe for a lawsuit, as these are not controlled or dangerous items, or something not sold in the US market (like the CCS to Tesla charging adapter), and certainly can be considered something that is replaced during either collision repair, or simply by the home user when they change the filter and something accidentally broke. I'm calling BS on any SC refusing to fulfill our orders.

While cleaning the in cabin evaporator and filter area to get rid of the "pre HEPA filter smell" 🙂, I noticed that the cabin filters were packed with dirt so I threw them away.
Didn't have any replacements on hand and currently driving without the filters. Air feels super clean.
Is there a reason to re-install filters, other than filtering the recirculation? Do the HEPA Y even have in cabin filters?
The diagram for the BDM Y AC setup still indicates that it has the two cabin filters and the Model S and X have recommended cabin filter change outs in 3 years or something along that line and it is 2 years without BDM. I would guess the cabin filters are still necessary to catch whatever could make it pass the HEPA into the rest of the system according to Tesla's scheduling. It looks like it does extend the recommended time to change out by a year for the cabin filters.

Reactions: Olle

Any suggestions? I just pasted the photo, and the items, said I wanted the items sent to the service center.View attachment 816145
I would probably try to cancel out of that service request at this point and do another one at a later time hopefully getting a different rep or selecting a different center if possible. My experience: I didn't even put the description in for the parts when I ordered. I just put in the SKU codes numbered 1-3 and asked to pick them up. No questions no kickback. Accepted the invoice on APP and got the parts. I was only charged upon pickup at the SC. The parts are just OTC "unrestricted" and they should be able to sell them to you. Your current rep I think somehow doesn't know that from what it appears.

My experience: I didn't even put the description in for the parts when I ordered. I just put in the SKU codes numbered 1-3 and asked to pick them up.
Exactly. "Less is more" sometimes. If you are dealing with a semi automated ordering system and write things that they are not used to seeing in there it might get sent up the ranks for review to someone who does not have time to look at it or is not motivated to take on liability for something unknown.

Funny anecdote; I went to an electrical wholesaler to buy a bunch of things for re-wiring my house, with a list where I had listed my stuff in a google spreadsheet. Big no-no, I almost got yelled for believing they had time to deal with private people 🥲. Later came back with the same parts listed with the correct terminology on an electrician style ordering paper. Someone else was at the counter. Order went through right away :D(for a third of the Home Depot price but that's beside the point)

I would probably try to cancel out of that service request at this point and do another one at a later time hopefully getting a different rep or selecting a different center if possible. My experience: I didn't even put the description in for the parts when I ordered. I just put in the SKU codes numbered 1-3 and asked to pick them up. No questions no kickback. Accepted the invoice on APP and got the parts. I was only charged upon pickup at the SC. The parts are just OTC "unrestricted" and they should be able to sell them to you. Your current rep I think somehow doesn't know that from what it appears.
Ty will try this

Exactly. "Less is more" sometimes. If you are dealing with a semi automated ordering system and write things that they are not used to seeing in there it might get sent up the ranks for review to someone who does not have time to look at it or is not motivated to take on liability for something unknown.

Funny anecdote; I went to an electrical wholesaler to buy a bunch of things for re-wiring my house, with a list where I had listed my stuff in a google spreadsheet. Big no-no, I almost got yelled for believing they had time to deal with private people 🥲. Later came back with the same parts listed with the correct terminology on an electrician style ordering paper. Someone else was at the counter. Order went through right away :D(for a third of the Home Depot price but that's beside the point)
Regarding your story, it is funny how it has to work out with these kind of situations sometimes. Go figure. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Olle
I haven't been told "no" yet from Tyco Rd in Virginia...but still awaiting a response. Guess because I had to schedule an appointment relatively far in the future they haven't reacted yet?

I don't know how they can refuse parts purchases. That is ripe for a lawsuit, as these are not controlled or dangerous items, or something not sold in the US market (like the CCS to Tesla charging adapter), and certainly can be considered something that is replaced during either collision repair, or simply by the home user when they change the filter and something accidentally broke. I'm calling BS on any SC refusing to fulfill our orders.
UPDATE - I received the invoice to approve today, and did so. No issues so far. States I'm picking up at the Sterling, VA SC location. Part numbers are same as others have stated, with the "FRESH INTAKE DUCT" as 1509536-00-B". Slightly different pricing than others ($23 for the duct, $26 for the REAR APRON, and $70 for the HEPA filter).

• Informative
I’m
UPDATE - I received the invoice to approve today, and did so. No issues so far. States I'm picking up at the Sterling, VA SC location. Part numbers are same as others have stated, with the "FRESH INTAKE DUCT" as 1509536-00-B". Slightly different pricing than others ($23 for the duct, $26 for the REAR APRON, and $70 for the HEPA filter).
Your order unfortunately contains the non HEPA duct, which your car already has. Here is what you need:
1655212890661.png
I received a different suffix (right of the hyphen) it still fit perfect. The root needs to match the catalog though. Like I wrote earlier take a look at the free of charge Tesla service and parts manual before you attempt this job (Tesla Service). Will save you lots of headaches.