Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok just to be clear:
Service request in app. Message:
Request OTC purchase:
1. 1499137-99-C (DUCT, Air Intake, MY)
2. 1619812-SL-A (Rear Apron, HEPA, MY)
3. 1495167-00-B (HEPA Filter)

Again with circulation air and fan at max, this engages the HEPA filter.
Easy to do as long as you have the mounting points. Much cheaper than a Tesla retrofit $500+

Cons to this: when it does get released to the public, there is a possibility we will never get the Biodefense button as we didn't purchase the retrofit package but still possible if you send a message to the service team to push the update.

Anything I'm missing? This should make a good video to help others if it's as easy as it seems

Ok just to be clear:
Request OTC purchase:

Easy to do as long as you have the mounting points. Much cheaper than a Tesla retrofit $500+

Cons to this: when it does get released to the public, there is a possibility we will never get the Biodefense button as we didn't purchase the retrofit package but still possible if you send a message to the service team to push the update.

Anything I'm missing? This should make a good video to help others if it's as easy as it seemsHEPA is engaged at all fan speeds at fresh are mode. Not in recirculation mode
Hepa is engaged at all fan speeds of fresh air and never during recirculation.

I’m

Your order unfortunately contains the non HEPA duct, which your car already has. Here is what you need:View attachment 816421I received a different suffix (right of the hyphen) it still fit perfect. The root needs to match the catalog though. Like I wrote earlier take a look at the free of charge Tesla service and parts manual before you attempt this job (Tesla Service). Will save you lots of headaches.
So I also sent SC that part number 1499137-99-C and they said the updated part number is 1509536-00-B
I noticed on the parts Catalogue there were 2 part number for air intake duct under the 'cabin hvac' page. But under the 'passenger duct and vents' it shows part number 1499137-00-C
I believe this part number is actually what we currently have for non HEPA Ys. The -99 and -00 was the only difference between the 2 variations.

I asked SC advisor about the new part number to confirm its for the HEPA system and they said it is. So hopefully that's the case but cannot confirm until it arrives.

So I also sent SC that part number 1499137-99-C and they said the updated part number is 1509536-00-B
I noticed on the parts Catalogue there were 2 part number for air intake duct under the 'cabin hvac' page. But under the 'passenger duct and vents' it shows part number 1499137-00-C
I believe this part number is actually what we currently have for non HEPA Ys. The -99 and -00 was the only difference between the 2 variations.

I asked SC advisor about the new part number to confirm its for the HEPA system and they said it is. So hopefully that's the case but cannot confirm until it arrives.
A90C8993-9D81-4CDD-87E8-7BF5A9480A12.jpeg
here is a picture of my non-hepa duct. This is the number you don’t want. I’ve said it three times 3 times now and nobody is listening 😩

I’m

Your order unfortunately contains the non HEPA duct, which your car already has. Here is what you need:View attachment 816421I received a different suffix (right of the hyphen) it still fit perfect. The root needs to match the catalog though. Like I wrote earlier take a look at the free of charge Tesla service and parts manual before you attempt this job (Tesla Service). Will save you lots of headaches.
Reached out to ask my SC to replace with the proper part number...awaiting reply. Not sure if the parts are already on their way or not, so I may have to pay for 2 intakes. Don't know yet. Still not sure why they are changing the part number?

My SC said the same thing about the part number now being 1509536-00-B. Guess I'll see when the part comes in. As in your picture, the original non-HEPA part number is 1509536-00-A. Maybe they consolidated part numbers now that all MYs have HEPA filters?
Possibly. Since the original was just a big opening. No different then the current HEPA one if you don't install the actual filter ontop it's just another large opening duct as well

I talked to my SC (phone vs. app) and they said they have been unable to enter 1499137-99-C as the part number, which is why they updated the part number is 1509536-00-B. They are escalating the situation and will call me between now and Thursday to get to the bottom of why we can't move forward with 1499137-99-C. No issue entering the other part numbers. My guess is that they are matching to my VIN, which is early 2020, but why let me get the filter and the cover. Hmmm...

I talked to my SC (phone vs. app) and they said they have been unable to enter 1499137-99-C as the part number, which is why they updated the part number is 1509536-00-B. They are escalating the situation and will call me between now and Thursday to get to the bottom of why we can't move forward with 1499137-99-C. No issue entering the other part numbers. My guess is that they are matching to my VIN, which is early 2020, but why let me get the filter and the cover. Hmmm...
wow what a great service center lol. IS there a service center number? i've been doing everything through the app

I posted similar earlier. I had requested the same part you did 1499137-99-C and my SC changed it out to 1499137-50-B (Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y). My MY was built 6/2021, two weeks before HEPA became standard.

Ok just to be clear:
Request OTC purchase:

Anything I'm missing? This should make a good video to help others if it's as easy as it seems
Sounds like a great idea, good luck!

(Would you mind waiting to July so that some of us might at least have a chance to get our parts orders delivered before word gets out and SCs start getting flooded? Thanks!)

Reactions: everydaychris
I posted similar earlier. I had requested the same part you did 1499137-99-C and my SC changed it out to 1499137-50-B (Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y). My MY was built 6/2021, two weeks before HEPA became standard.
Did it end there? Or, did you get the same reasoning that @BreatheEasier received from their SC about the vehicle being ineligible for the part order? Thanks!

Tyco was going to be my back up if the new one in Alexandria(?) didn’t come through. (I’m still waiting to hear back about 6/30 ”appointment” I made over a week ago.)

wow what a great service center lol. IS there a service center number? i've been doing everything through the app
Any luck pressing them for the correct parts? Maybe you can cancel and resubmit at a different SC in your area? It sounds like policies individual to a specific SC may dictate availability.

Last edited:
I contacted SC again through the mobile app asking them to double check the supposedly new part # (which apparently is incorrect according to some users on this forum). They responded back to me saying the original part number I asked for is the one they ordered. Even though the invoice shows the different part number. They also said the air duct is on backorder so won't know when it'll come. I guess I'll just have to wait until everything arrives to know for sure if they ordered me the correct part.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Did it end there? Or, did you get the same reasoning that @BreatheEasier received from their SC about the vehicle being ineligible for the part order? Thanks!
I did not have any issues placing the parts order through the app, was quite easy thankfully. This morning I asked the SC if they have an ETA on the parts and they wrote: "We do not have an ETA on the duct but the other two pieces are in transit and should be here this week". I asked if we should change from 1499137-50-B they ordered for me to 1499137-99-C and they wrote: "If our parts dept. made the change, we suggest keeping it with that as it may be an updated (better) revision or possibly the other is no longer available, etc."

I did not have any issues placing the parts order through the app, was quite easy thankfully. This morning I asked the SC if they have an ETA on the parts and they wrote: "We do not have an ETA on the duct but the other two pieces are in transit and should be here this week". I asked if we should change from 1499137-50-B they ordered for me to 1499137-99-C and they wrote: "If our parts dept. made the change, we suggest keeping it with that as it may be an updated (better) revision or possibly the other is no longer available, etc."
Okay, so I guess we’ll see what shows up. Also good to know that you likely won’t have to take possession of it if it’s not what you wanted, etc. Fingers crossed. Let us know how it shakes out, thanks!

I haven't heard back from my SC yet, but the woman I talked to said it may be Thursday, so I'll give them until tomorrow afternoon and try back. Interesting if they try 1499137-50-B vs. the original number I asked for, if things are any better in the system. Either way, sounds like we are all backordered now on the duct, so the waiting game will begin...and we all know how that can get with Tesla parts.

Just heard back from my SC. They changed the part number to 1499137-00-C. They said it has not been possible for them to order 1499137-99-C, and the system won't let them enter that part number. They confirmed that 1499137-00-C is for the HEPA filter, and didn't mention it being on back order, but I will surely see when it arrives whether I'm getting the correct intake or not. Let's just say that I'm not confident...

Last edited: