Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty easy upgrade to do.
Did not have to remove my frunk bucket. It just slipped in with a little pulling left in right.

Needed Parts
-REAR APRON, HEPA, MY(1619812-00-B) $ 26.00
-AIR INTAKE, MY(1499137-99-C) $ 10.00
-HEPA FILTER(1495167-00-B) $ 70.00
-2 M6 x 35mm bolts with a washer
Ordering
-Open the Tesla Mobile App
-Just set a Service Request under "Other" and request for those part #s

The parts manual is here: Parts Catalog the instructions on installation are available here https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-C8B93014-69E7-4F33-BBF9-1CC5308CBEA0.html

Ordering these parts should not be an issue. We have the right to repair/service our vehicles. Yes, if you want Bio Defense Mode to display on your center console then you will need to talk to a tech (mobile or at SC).

I have not tried to instead get a subscription to Toolbox 3 and connect to with a laptop and enable the config myself. Or, some day, I will schedule a service at my house for a rotation and as
the tech if they can enable BDM. But that is for a later day.

Yes, I have to now increase my fan speed one or two steps when bringing air from outside instead of recirculation. But I would rather have cleaner air since my daughter has allergies (especially in Spring).

My mobile tech told me today he could not enable BWD at this point, but that in the future they might be able to. Seems very hit or miss (surprise surprise) on if a tech will do the config change. I totally understand their side though, as they don’t want to be reprimanded.

Just a shame Tesla will sell you the parts, but won’t allow the software to be changed. My tech told me to text him down the road to see if it’s been made “officially” possible, so I guess that will be my next step. Very jealous of those folks who were able to have the change applied.

My mobile tech told me today he could not enable BWD at this point, but that in the future they might be able to. Seems very hit or miss (surprise surprise) on if a tech will do the config change. I totally understand their side though, as they don’t want to be reprimanded.

Just a shame Tesla will sell you the parts, but won’t allow the software to be changed. My tech told me to text him down the road to see if it’s been made “officially” possible, so I guess that will be my next step. Very jealous of those folks who were able to have the change applied.
just be happy they aren't catching on and we can get that nice clean air at a fraction of what the cost will most likely be :)

Pretty easy upgrade to do.
Did not have to remove my frunk bucket. It just slipped in with a little pulling left in right.

Needed Parts
-REAR APRON, HEPA, MY(1619812-00-B) $ 26.00
-AIR INTAKE, MY(1499137-99-C) $ 10.00
-HEPA FILTER(1495167-00-B) $ 70.00
-2 M6 x 35mm bolts with a washer
Ordering
-Open the Tesla Mobile App
-Just set a Service Request under "Other" and request for those part #s

The parts manual is here: Parts Catalog the instructions on installation are available here https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-C8B93014-69E7-4F33-BBF9-1CC5308CBEA0.html

Ordering these parts should not be an issue. We have the right to repair/service our vehicles. Yes, if you want Bio Defense Mode to display on your center console then you will need to talk to a tech (mobile or at SC).

I have not tried to instead get a subscription to Toolbox 3 and connect to with a laptop and enable the config myself. Or, some day, I will schedule a service at my house for a rotation and as
the tech if they can enable BDM. But that is for a later day.

Yes, I have to now increase my fan speed one or two steps when bringing air from outside instead of recirculation. But I would rather have cleaner air since my daughter has allergies (especially in Spring).

Does Toolbox 3 allow any user the ability to do what a SC or mobile tech can do?

Thanks for the thread!

I was able to do the refrofit this weekend.

Parts list:
1499137-00 REV-C (Duct , Air Intake)
1495167-00-B (HEPA Filter)
1619812-00-B (Rear Apron, HEPA)
2x Stainless M5 Rivet
2x Stainless M5 x 40
2x Stainless Washers

I had 3 out of the 4 holes, so I had to drill a hole on the driver side for the plastic piece that helps align the HEPA filter.

I was able to retro fit it today too. I already got turned down two times. When i got the parts and through the app to get the software. Any tips to get sw on this thing…

M5 rivet, 40mm m5 bolt and washer. Was needed for my 2021 MYP

Attachments

• 74378D88-8C3B-48EB-B77F-CA70D318CEBA.jpeg
    74378D88-8C3B-48EB-B77F-CA70D318CEBA.jpeg
    623.7 KB · Views: 139
Nice so two m5 rivets, two 40mm m5 bolts and washers? Can we get all these from home depot?
I got it on amazon because i needed a rivet gun too. I ordered these

NEXTACK Rivet Nut Tool, 8" Rivet Nut Gun with a Step Drill Bit & 80 Rivnuts Assortment Kit, Nutsert Tool with 8 SAE & Metric Mandrels Incl. 6-32 & 8-32 for Tight Space in Organized Carrying Case NT600 https://a.co/d/fnKU8PG

And
DYWISHKEY 70 Pieces M5 x 20mm/25mm/30mm/35mm/40mm Stainless Steel 304 Hex Socket Head Cap Bolts and Nuts Kit https://a.co/d/aTmcwGQ

The cost went up but it was added to my tools collection

Is anyone else waiting for backordered parts? I've been waiting since late June, and it seems like the primary way to pass the time is to just keep rescheduling my "appointment" further and further out so that I can keep the common chat thread open. Not exactly straightforward but really my only option.

Is anyone else waiting for backordered parts? I've been waiting since late June, and it seems like the primary way to pass the time is to just keep rescheduling my "appointment" further and further out so that I can keep the common chat thread open. Not exactly straightforward but really my only option.
I find that funny as i was able to pick up my parts the next day. I actually decided to switch service center locations and picked them up. So two of my service centers had the parts on site. This is Bay area.

me too. been waiting forever. They said 2 of 3 parts are ready and when i went they then said oh.. nevermind its all backordered

me too. been waiting forever. They said 2 of 3 parts are ready and when i went they then said oh.. nevermind its all backordered
This is what I’m afraid of!

As soon as I posted this earlier today, and messaged my SC to ask if I should reschedule to allow for more time to wait, they told me the parts were available. But the comms from them have not be coherent for weeks so I’m not sure it will all come together if I head out there.

I guess I’ll have to try and update the group!