Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would make no sense to remove it
Thanks. I've ordered new OEM cabin air filters and requested parts to retrofit HEPA filters.
However, closest Tesla Service Center immediately responded that doing this retrofit will void the warranty and won't sell me the parts. I've asked another Tesla Service Center and they've agreed to order the parts. Random experience.

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
Thanks. I've ordered new OEM cabin air filters and requested parts to retrofit HEPA filters.
However, closest Tesla Service Center immediately responded that doing this retrofit will void the warranty and won't sell me the parts. I've asked another Tesla Service Center and they've agreed to order the parts. Random experience.
Strange thing to say as on a ICE atleast a consumer is protected to modify air intake to the engine. Tesla saying the modification of an cabin air intake voiding a warranty is an excuse from a lazy service center worker.

Every time i been to a service center i always get the run around on problems as I believe they do not hire the brightest

Reactions: KirillK
Strange thing to say as on a ICE atleast a consumer is protected to modify air intake to the engine. Tesla saying the modification of an cabin air intake voiding a warranty is an excuse from a lazy service center worker.

Every time i been to a service center i always get the run around on problems as I believe they do not hire the brightest
I don't believe they can void the warranty

Under Magnuson–Moss, I think they would be required to show that the modification caused the problem. For example, they can't require you to buy the OEM air filters. And it is on them to prove that a third party filter caused some problem. Also, vague/ambigous terms go in your favor not Tesla's

I don't believe they can void the warranty

Under Magnuson–Moss, I think they would be required to show that the modification caused the problem. For example, they can't require you to buy the OEM air filters. And it is on them to prove that a third party filter caused some problem. Also, vague/ambigous terms go in your favor not Tesla's
Think the call out on an ICE air Intake filter is rather different then a cabin air intake filter. A poor ICE intake engine air filter absolutely car harm the reliability of an engine.

the point is not harm. The point is that a manufacturer (let alone a service rep) can't legally just tell you it voids the warranty. Federal law just doesn't allow that. If there was inherent problem that installing it would cause, yeah maybe. No lawyer here but a lay understanding. Oh, and what would be voided? I'm pretty sure that even if they could show harm, it would be to say the blower motor. They would not be able to say well the battery warranty is void.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I finally got my parts in and when I went to pick them up the rep/mechanic even asked me if I wanted a tip on how to install it. I said sure and he asked me to open my hood—which I had a bit of trepidation about—and then he basically told me to be sure to take out the storage bin before installing. I thanked him and was on my way.

Based on what everyone else here said I didn’t do that and it worked out find. The trickiest thing for me was getting the old intake out. Thank goodness someone mentioned the service manual. It wasn’t complicated but I just had no frame of reference. It’s now in and I hope I did it right. A little hard to tell if the new intake and the filter manifold are perfectly seated together but they’re definitely aligned. My vehicle had the threaded holes. Feb ’21 purchase VIN ~100500.

Will be a while before a drive it again but I usually keep the climate on Auto and just adjust temperature so hopefully I don’t notice any major airflow issues.

Thanks to @Olle @swheat6345 @akballow and others for all the insights without which I wouldn’t have attempted this.

Attachments

• 8CE2F582-20F3-4528-9E0D-0679DD19973F.jpeg
    8CE2F582-20F3-4528-9E0D-0679DD19973F.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 240
  • EB3BF989-01AA-4D8D-B5F5-33737ED6F7C8.jpeg
    EB3BF989-01AA-4D8D-B5F5-33737ED6F7C8.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 5A3B07F4-91C5-4D55-95D9-E1F009B1B382.jpeg
    5A3B07F4-91C5-4D55-95D9-E1F009B1B382.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 146
  • E8EBD582-706D-4349-80D1-D579B8F74096.jpeg
    E8EBD582-706D-4349-80D1-D579B8F74096.jpeg
    732.2 KB · Views: 121
  • A3182CB9-7275-4163-88AA-46E1896CD95C.jpeg
    A3182CB9-7275-4163-88AA-46E1896CD95C.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Reactions: akballow
the point is not harm. The point is that a manufacturer (let alone a service rep) can't legally just tell you it voids the warranty. Federal law just doesn't allow that. If there was inherent problem that installing it would cause, yeah maybe. No lawyer here but a lay understanding. Oh, and what would be voided? I'm pretty sure that even if they could show harm, it would be to say the blower motor. They would not be able to say well the battery warranty is void.
And how can be voiding the warranty if you’re installing OEM parts to install something that is being shipped on new cars?

I finally got my parts in and when I went to pick them up the rep/mechanic even asked me if I wanted a tip on how to install it. I said sure and he asked me to open my hood—which I had a bit of trepidation about—and then he basically told me to be sure to take out the storage bin before installing. I thanked him and was on my way.

Based on what everyone else here said I didn’t do that and it worked out find. The trickiest thing for me was getting the old intake out. Thank goodness someone mentioned the service manual. It wasn’t complicated but I just had no frame of reference. It’s now in and I hope I did it right. A little hard to tell if the new intake and the filter manifold are perfectly seated together but they’re definitely aligned. My vehicle had the threaded holes. Feb ’21 purchase VIN ~100500.

Will be a while before a drive it again but I usually keep the climate on Auto and just adjust temperature so hopefully I don’t notice any major airflow issues.

Thanks to @Olle @swheat6345 @akballow and others for all the insights without which I wouldn’t have attempted this.
woohoo!

And how can be voiding the warranty if you’re installing OEM parts to install something that is being shipped on new cars?
you misunderstand me. I agree that there should not be any warranty violation. Tesla would need to show damage due to that.

Now it is possible if say my 2020 blower can't handle the extra restricted airflow and it burned up. But that seems unlikely. Certainly a service rep is not in any position to just say doing that voids the warranty. In fact, would be nice if we had some law expertise on this. I wonder if the rep telling him (falsely) that it prima facia violates warranty might violate federal law.

you misunderstand me. I agree that there should not be any warranty violation. Tesla would need to show damage due to that.

Now it is possible if say my 2020 blower can't handle the extra restricted airflow and it burned up. But that seems unlikely. Certainly a service rep is not in any position to just say doing that voids the warranty. In fact, would be nice if we had some law expertise on this. I wonder if the rep telling him (falsely) that it prima facia violates warranty might violate federal law.
And apprently its the same blower

Last edited:
Pretty easy upgrade to do.
Did not have to remove my frunk bucket. It just slipped in with a little pulling left in right.

Needed Parts
-REAR APRON, HEPA, MY(1619812-00-B) $ 26.00
-AIR INTAKE, MY(1499137-99-C) $ 10.00
-HEPA FILTER(1495167-00-B) $ 70.00
-2 M6 x 35mm bolts with a washer
Ordering
-Open the Tesla Mobile App
-Just set a Service Request under "Other" and request for those part #s

The parts manual is here: Parts Catalog the instructions on installation are available here https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-C8B93014-69E7-4F33-BBF9-1CC5308CBEA0.html

Ordering these parts should not be an issue. We have the right to repair/service our vehicles. Yes, if you want Bio Defense Mode to display on your center console then you will need to talk to a tech (mobile or at SC).

I have not tried to instead get a subscription to Toolbox 3 and connect to with a laptop and enable the config myself. Or, some day, I will schedule a service at my house for a rotation and as
the tech if they can enable BDM. But that is for a later day.

Yes, I have to now increase my fan speed one or two steps when bringing air from outside instead of recirculation. But I would rather have cleaner air since my daughter has allergies (especially in Spring).
That's what I was going to suggest, check the part number. If it's the same it should be no issue.
Just ordered the parts from Burlingame. No hassle, just a note from the associate that they won’t enable Bioweapon mode for me.

The carryin

Variyed nsweres from different service centers is my biggest gripe with Tesla right now. I have had 3rd row seat belt stains since delivery and keep being told that it's in spec while I see others posting about getting their 3rd row replaced because of it.