Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting
so just to be clear don't post this on youtube so people don't know about it since it's technically not allowed correct?
don't worry
But what you did was create a service ticket asking for the BDM button since you installed the hepa filter and they said they will do it for you?
yes I went in the APP to other then software upgrade then in the description I directly indicate software update to have bioweapon defense mode that go with my install model Y hepa filter upgrade. I also upload a picture of my installation completed.
Are there certain things you said?

At first they delay my appointment 1 week more they said we need diagnostic but I reply in detail with a picture of bioweapon defense mode logo to make sure they understand because you do not need any diagnostic for that. Then they told me. We know exactly what you are looking for but we need authorization to configure it since it is note available on Tesla website. Then after a while they send me ok will do it with an estimation for the work. They told me we can go tomorrow if you accept. I have accepted just have to wait till they do it. will be tomorrow or very soon the work order is accepted
I brought pizza to my service center haha. they said they're too busy to even think about it so come back on a friday or a weekend and they will see what they can do but not to get my hopes up.
For me that did not work. the service center told me it is impossible to install because it is not available. As soon as they install it I will get a feed back on what is the differences it makes. I really think the hepa filter is so great even if you don't have the button, you can feel the air is clean you don't smell anything. I really don't regret it and I am glad I found a place that could install it ( just a regular electric car garage) they (the garage) even order the parts from Tesla for me

Reactions: everydaychris
Update: My software is now updated and I have the BWM activated. this was done remotely very impressive. I will give further detail on what is the differences
going to try this today and will give you a shoutout if it works

i also did a test for @Itsuo-DC and found that the car cooled itself rather quickly in about 2 mins
from 107* to 79* with an exterior temp of 89*

It immediately switched off recirculating air for 15 sec or so and then auto switched to inside air only with fan speeds at 10.

Reactions: jd007 and Itsuo-DC
I don’t think anyone wants to cause any issues, maybe just see what keywords or verbiage was used. Idk about others but I’d happily pay for a config change and have it done in a way that doesn’t screw a tech/SC

I don’t think anyone wants to cause any issues, maybe just see what keywords or verbiage was used. Idk about others but I’d happily pay for a config change and have it done in a way that doesn’t screw a tech/SC
I wrote in a previous post the exact words I have put. simply say you have installed the upgrade with a picture of it and you want the BWM button so your fan speed will be adjusted because your car know there is an hepa filter in it.

I wrote in a previous post the exact words I have put. simply say you have installed the upgrade with a picture of it and you want the BWM button so your fan speed will be adjusted because your car know there is an hepa filter in it.
Trust me. I’ve done that. Would you be willing to share a general location of the SC/tech you worked with? The tech who I’m chatting with was curious. I don’t want to get anyone in trouble, which is why I said general; but if you don’t want to say I understand.

Trust me. I’ve done that. Would you be willing to share a general location of the SC/tech you worked with? The tech who I’m chatting with was curious. I don’t want to get anyone in trouble, which is why I said general; but if you don’t want to say I understand.
the mobile center wrote me the day before accepting. ''Hello, we understand well what the request is, the issue is that the HEPA retrofit is not yet available as an official retrofit on the Tesla store. We need to receive confirmation if we can change your car configuration or not in this case. We will let you know if we can do it or not. Thank you'' So you ask your mobile service to ask permission. As said before I went to 2 different service center before and they said not possible so I decide to try this method. I think they escalate the demand to a superior level

All air that comes from outside of car goes through the hepa.
Interesting. I think we the stock from factory it only pulls through the HEPA filter when you activate bioweapon mode. I know there is a complete pause of the HVAC system (air completely turns off) for about 2 or 3 seconds when switching to bioweapon and then it ramps the fans up. I thought there might be a baffle that moves to switch the air source...

Interesting. I think we the stock from factory it only pulls through the HEPA filter when you activate bioweapon mode. I know there is a complete pause of the HVAC system (air completely turns off) for about 2 or 3 seconds when switching to bioweapon and then it ramps the fans up. I thought there might be a baffle that moves to switch the air source...
Its not a complicated system. We are putting the hepa filter in front the car cabin. Before the hepa the car pulls air though nothing other then just a snorkle. With hepa we add the filter on top of it. Air from outside goes through the hepa filter.

Teslas marketing team made bwd mode sound like air is directed to the hepa filter only when the button is pressed. All it means is recirculating is off and high fan speed. Any time a car with a hepa filter turns of recirculating, air comes from outside via the hepa filter.