Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed rivet nuts and completed the retrofit.
M5 rivet nuts will fit without any additional drilling, no alignment issues. A M5x35 or 40mm is enough and some washers as stated before.
My 2020 doesn't have the locater holes. Has anyone else faced this and what did you do about it? Drill holes (how to get the correct location) or cut off the nubs?

Also, how do you remove the old "air scoop?" I don't want to pull too hard.

Last edited:
Drilled mounting points after aligning and it all sits flush, I need to get some rivet nuts to complete the install since there is a thick structural plate under that attachment hole where the plant installed nut should go. A little cumbersome but we'll worth it.
How did you line up the filter and mark the mounting point to drill in the right place? Step by step for this guy.

My 2020 doesn't have the locater holes. Has anyone else faced this and what did you do about it? Drill holes (how to get the correct location) or cut off the nubs?

Also, how do you remove the old "air scoop?" I don't want to pull too hard.
There is a single bolt/nut (can’t recall which) that hold it on.
How did you line up the filter and mark the mounting point to drill in the right place? Step by step for this guy.
I’m guessing folks who have done this install the duct, install the filter, then mark where the holes are. Pretty straight forward.

Blue tape over the area to be drilled, put wet paint on the tip of the positioning pins. Position the hepa filter over the mounting holes (where you will install the rivet nut using a couple of screw drivers.

Measure 2 checking Its centered.

Hopefully this helps

Hi All,
Just put the hepa filter in my 2021 (early) MY. I drilled the holes for the alignment posts but my car doesn’t have the threads for the bolts. What have those of you in similar situations used? Mind posting an Amazon link? Would be nice to have Tesla parts and additional pieces posted as a sticky. Very easy install and I think even without the bolts, it’s pretty secure as it sits. I’ll be happy if I’m rid of that gnarly post water filter smell.

Hi All,
Just put the hepa filter in my 2021 (early) MY. I drilled the holes for the alignment posts but my car doesn’t have the threads for the bolts. What have those of you in similar situations used? Mind posting an Amazon link? Would be nice to have Tesla parts and additional pieces posted as a sticky. Very easy install and I think even without the bolts, it’s pretty secure as it sits. I’ll be happy if I’m rid of that gnarly post water filter smell.

Watch everydaychris’ video just above you.

Hi All,
RZX 8” Rivet NUT Gun https://a.co/2soRyCA

Metric tap bolts, Stainless steel 18-8 (A-2), 5mm x 0.8mm x 40mm - Bolt Depot and appropriate washers.

I couldn’t figure out how to accurately drill the locator holes so I hacksawed the locator tabs off and filed them flat. Took 20 minutes all in.

Last edited:
Hi All,
ty @generalmilk.. watch the vid you need rivet nuts and you need to make sure the hole is big enough

RZX 8” Rivet NUT Gun https://a.co/2soRyCA

Metric tap bolts, Stainless steel 18-8 (A-2), 5mm x 0.8mm x 40mm - Bolt Depot and appropriate washers.

I couldn’t figure out how to accurately drill the locator holes so I hacksawed the locator tabs off and filed them flat. Took 20 minutes all in.
Thank you! I marked and drilled holes for the tabs. Aligned the filter and used a sharpie to draw around it. It holds well with just the tabs but I fear they will break over time without being secured by bolts. Again, thanks for the links to items.