Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have installed mine. Didn’t even sweat! (That’s a joke for @everydaychris ;) )

I did break one grill piece of the rear apron cause I try to fit the finger through to snap those clips on the frunk piece. The frunk piece is super soft, I don’t know how the hell you can snap them on normally. The grill piece can be easily fixed with super glue so nothing to sweat about.

The reduced airflow is also totally fine by me. I almost never use speed 10 and after installation speed 10 still feels like too strong to me. Maybe I’d keep it this way so I can have exta low fan speed…

Last edited:
I scheduled a mobile service for “missing bioweapon defense mode button”. Just received a call from Tesla. The guy told me there is no firmware update to add the button, I asked him about remotely or using a connected computer to change the configuration and he said he’s not aware of it and then went ahead cancelled my appointment. Well that was quick.

I guess I will enjoy my gentler fan speed for the time being.

😂 I don’t understand the logic behind it. So they don’t want me to save them a trip, fine… now I need to think about a reason for a mobile service, just rotated tire not long ago…. Real reason doesn’t work since the person who manages appointments would just cancel it again, hmmmm
It will still be a toss up on if they even do it. I’ve had two mobile techs out, both said no.

Reactions: generalmilk
Here is the he actual request.

Customer requests: Additionally I would like to enable Bio Defense Mode (BDM) on my
car, I already installed the upgraded HEPA filter, intake and cowl. I need you to enable BDM so that the car software recognizes the filter and adjust fan speed accordingly.

Technician Updated Vehicle Configuration. Verified BioHazard Mode is now active on the vehicle and works properly. verified proper operation

Only if it was that easy! One LA SC wanted $160 to "verify proper installation and enabling bio defense button" and another said they have no clue.

Finally got it installed! Thanks to those who gave tips and the parts list. Thanks @everydaychris for the video! I didn't follow any guide and it was pretty self explanatory. I did have to remove the tub as I didn't want to damage some cable in the process. I was fortunate to have the M6 screw holes so some M6-35mm bolts worked perfectly. Waiting for mobile service on Monday hoping to enable biohazard mode but perfectly ok without it.

Attachments

• PXL_20221029_004456894.jpg
    PXL_20221029_004456894.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: everydaychris
Good luck with mobile service. What’s your request? I asked for enable bwm button, they called and told me no such service and canceled it.
Finally got it installed! Thanks to those who gave tips and the parts list. Thanks @everydaychris for the video! I didn't follow any guide and it was pretty self explanatory. I did have to remove the tub as I didn't want to damage some cable in the process. I was fortunate to have the M6 screw holes so some M6-35mm bolts worked perfectly. Waiting for mobile service on Monday hoping to enable biohazard mode but perfectly ok without it.

Last edited:
I submitted for Heat / AC issue and said air flow was low. But then when they asked me more specific questions, I said I had hepa retrofit done and needed the bwm and told me there is no such retrofit for my 21' MY and ignored me.

Finally parts came in and ready to pick up. Burbank said they will charge $240 if I self install and for them to verify the work and enable the button. Alhambra said it isn't possible. Jealous at those who were able to get their SC to enable it. Just not worth $400 for the time being.
Hi Ken_Y,

So you had luck with the Burbank SC? I tried the same thing after seeing your experience but they turned me down. Do you mind to share you invoice with me after redacting your personal identifiable information? Thank you very much.