Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about giving this a try for my 2020 Model Y and seeing if they'll order the parts for me. I'll need to use rivnuts and drill the holes for the alignment tabs. However, I notice that one of the parts is no longer showing in Tesla's parts catalog. Specifically HEPA, DUCT, MY (1499137-00-C) is now only showing
DUCT, AIR INTAKE, MY 1499137-00-D. Does anyone know if this revised part ending in "D" is the same or any different? It doesn't specify HEPA so I wasn't sure and it's not clear why the part that specifically says HEPA is no longer in the parts catalog.

Also, it looks like the HEPA FILTER (1495167-00-B ) was revised to part 1495167-96-B. I think someone mentioned that this new part is the same, but has metal inserts within the bolt holes to add reinforcement. Are the actual holes still in the same location? Can anyone confirm?

I was thinking about ordering these three new part numbers but didn't want to end up with the wrong stuff:

1) 1495167-96-B (ASSY, HEPA FILTER, MY)
2) 1499137-00-D (DUCT, AIR INTAKE, MY)
3) 1619812-00-B (REAR APRON, HEPA, MY)

For whatever it’s worth, I ordered picked up the parts on Nov 18, 2022 after seeing Chris video. The parts number are the same as in Chris’s video.

I have a 2020 MYP, I have the holes require for the HEPA, but not the hole for the positioning pin. I was able to use the rivnuts to install it. Since I didn’t want to drill into the MYP, I just dremel off the positioning pin.

So far no luck getting the Bioweapon button…

For whatever it’s worth, I ordered picked up the parts on Nov 18, 2022 after seeing Chris video. The parts number are the same as in Chris’s video.

I have a 2020 MYP, I have the holes require for the HEPA, but not the hole for the positioning pin. I was able to use the rivnuts to install it. Since I didn’t want to drill into the MYP, I just dremel off the positioning pin.

So far no luck getting the Bioweapon button…
Awesome. Thanks for posting that. I’ll just ask for the same part numbers from his video. Does everything stay in place okay with just the bolts when you don’t use the positioning pins/holes? Do you think the retrofit is worth it now that you have it done?

Awesome. Thanks for posting that. I’ll just ask for the same part numbers from his video. Does everything stay in place okay with just the bolts when you don’t use the positioning pins/holes? Do you think the retrofit is worth it now that you have it done?

I think it stay in place alright. I think it’s worth it. Def block out smells much better than before. For $200 def worth the upgrade.

Update for anyone interested. I ordered parts and approved the invoice. The parts they ordered for me are:

REAR APRON, HEPA, MY. (1619812-00-B)
DUCT, AIR INTAKE, MY (1499137-99-C)
HEPA FILTER. (1495167-96-B)

The hepa filter does seem to have an updated part number now (1495167-96-B). Hopefully they won't end up cancelling my order, but I can update again once I get the parts (hopefully)

Update for anyone interested. I ordered parts and approved the invoice. The parts they ordered for me are:

REAR APRON, HEPA, MY. (1619812-00-B)
DUCT, AIR INTAKE, MY (1499137-99-C)
HEPA FILTER. (1495167-96-B)

The hepa filter does seem to have an updated part number now (1495167-96-B). Hopefully they won't end up cancelling my order, but I can update again once I get the parts (hopefully)
Same. This is my last attempt to get this. They put this in order along with the estimate to repair the hatch glass that has a burnt defroster. Hopefully it’ll go through (the HEPA parts).

Same. This is my last attempt to get this. They put this in order along with the estimate to repair the hatch glass that has a burnt defroster. Hopefully it’ll go through (the HEPA parts).
Good luck! I was just able to buy the new console 2.0 from the service center and retrofit that. They initially said it's not compatible. I ensured them that it was and the SA went back to the parts department and they agreed the second time around. No more pushback after that, so I'm hoping the hepa parts will be just as easy. Fingers crossed for the both of us!

Out of curiosity, has anyone who doesn’t have existing threads in the bolt holes tried tapping the holes to add threads? This would be an alternative to using rivet nuts. I’m wondering if this might be an easier and cheaper alternative. Any pros or cons to this?

Out of curiosity, has anyone who doesn’t have existing threads in the bolt holes tried tapping the holes to add threads? This would be an alternative to using rivet nuts. I’m wondering if this might be an easier and cheaper alternative. Any pros or cons to this?
Forget my post above. This won’t work. The metal is way too thin. The newer cars that have existing threads appear to have a threaded insert welded from underneath. Looks like rivet nuts are the way to go.

View attachment 892641
Seems like there’s really no more advantage for BDM software upgrade as it’s possible to select Recirculate>Auto Temp>Blower/Fan Speed Level 10.

Now that I've had the general update and the HEPA hardware for some time, I can share that there is a difference. When on auto climate, the fan speed is noticeably more restricted even if I set it to high. With the HEPA update and BDM, the fan speed will be adjusted to run higher. Hope Tesla enables this soon.

Now that I've had the general update and the HEPA hardware for some time, I can share that there is a difference. When on auto climate, the fan speed is noticeably more restricted even if I set it to high. With the HEPA update and BDM, the fan speed will be adjusted to run higher. Hope Tesla enables this soon.
I’m not sure who we need to complain to, but I’m ready to do what ever is needed. We are not asking for anything like FSD, it’s simply a quality of life feature.

Reactions: Ken_Y
Update for anyone interested. I picked up the parts today and installed the HEPA filter on my 2020 Model Y. Here are some thoughts:

1) I had zero problems getting the parts. Simply requested the parts through the app, schedule a service appointment for next Monday, and then followed up early to see if the parts were in. They said they had the parts and I could pick them up whenever I wanted.

2) The new filters come with metal inserts in the bolt holes. I guess it's to add more reinforcement. Someone else posted about it earlier and I also had to remove these inserts in order to make the holes bigger and line up. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla adjusted the holes very slightly for new models.

3) I drilled new holes for the alignment pins. The hardest part about this was lining everything up and making sure I drilled in the correct place.

4) I used rivnuts since my car doesn't have existing threads in the hole. This was a very easy process and used a tool bought on amazon to install it properly.

I created a new mobile service for a couple of weeks from now. I told them that I need to have the car software updated to recognize the HEPA filter and enable the bioweapon defense mode button. We'll see how that part goes. The airflow is definitely lower with the new filter installed, but it's certainly no big deal. With the recent software update, we can now choose between low, medium, and high when the air is in auto mode. So I'll probably just leave it on high assuming they won't update my car to recognize the new HEPA filter.

PS this post was not proofread prior to posting and I'm a little loopy at the moment from smelling fumes after staining some wood flooring. Sorry if I said anything that makes no sense at all!

Here's a picture for anyone interested
IMG_2919.jpeg

Last edited:
Well I finally got a more “official” answer from a Service tech: “we don’t offer the software retrofit since the hardware retrofit “does not fit” so therefore is not supported. I could not get any more details on what “does not fit” since I noted no issues with fitment, and there are no other parts that should be a part of the retrofit. The tech also said he’s talked to a few people about this so they know we’re out here retrofitting and begging for software haha

• Helpful
Reactions: WattTheHeck
Well I finally got a more “official” answer from a Service tech: “we don’t offer the software retrofit since the hardware retrofit “does not fit” so therefore is not supported. I could not get any more details on what “does not fit” since I noted no issues with fitment, and there are no other parts that should be a part of the retrofit. The tech also said he’s talked to a few people about this so they know we’re out here retrofitting and begging for software haha
That’s really crappy. We’re paying them for the hardware, they agree to sell it to us, yet they can’t click a couple buttons on their computer so the software will match the hardware. Are they expecting us to trade in for a new model just because of this? Really dumb. I haven’t even heard back from the SC yet but I made the request and have a mobile service appointment in a couple of weeks. I’m just hoping they don’t cancel the appointment.

Reactions: Ken_Y
Yea they know. Hence a couple of us trying to get the parts were getting rejected because “it is not supported”

I've been chatting with Tesla regarding my mobile service appointment. They denied my request to have the vehicle configuration updated in the software to reflect the HEPA filter. They said there is no retrofit available for this and they will not change the configuration. I told them I literally need one option switched from the standard filter to HEPA filter so the car will recognize the configuration and adjust the fan speed appropriately for what is actually installed on the car. Needless to say, this didn't work. The SA I was chatting with said she sent this all the way to their field engineer who also declined it.

In any event, I changed my appointment to just having the cabin air filters replaced. I'll see if I can sweet talk mobile service into updating the configuration while they're here. Anyone have tips for this? It's really stupid that they can't flip a single switch so the car will know what is actually installed.

Just tried raising service appointment at two of my SC and both denied it saying the retrofit isn't' official. I think I give up at this point. I also tried service mode on the car and couldn't find anything. So I am not sure how some of you listed here were able to get the mobile ranger to do it for you.