Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit 7 seat to 6 seat in 2016 X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MDR SEA Assuming the cost is not an inhibitor, there are a few issues: First, the sixth digit of the VIN is the number of restraints and seat configuration in the X. Your 7-seat has a 6th digit is "A", a 6-seat would have a 6th digit of "B" (VIN Decoder | TeslaTap). Therefore, the VIN would be incorrect if someone converted. Secondly, the 6-seat interior is on Mono-post and do not fold flat. It would appear there are no readily available seats or seat belt configurations to convert if you have the 2nd row fold flat (these were changed from the earlier version). If you have the earlier version of the 7-seat, they too were on mono-post and have cutouts in the floor for the seats to move forward and backward. If that is the case, the floor and its mechanisms would have to be replaced.

Tesla, as the manufacturer, cannot change since the VIN would be violated. All of the seat configs serve differing needs. Tesla changed the 2nd row original 7-seat from Mono-post to fold flat for those who desired more cargo space, and left the 6-seat on the mono-post. That change made way for the 5-seat model as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Qbenjamin
Yes you can convert it, it's been done before with a thread on the forums. Take off the seat shell and just start unbolting everything. The issue you'll run into is that your computer will register the lack of a seat and you will have a constant error message. Customer wiring/programming will be needed to trick the computer into think the seat is there and latched into place.

Thank you tmc for all your help. Finally finished converting my 7 into a 6 seater.

Attachments

• IMG_20191102_104420.jpg
    IMG_20191102_104420.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,401
That is a whole different animal. For starters, your car is the wrong gender. Your 6 seater doesn’t have the right holes, meaning you’d need to cut and drill. How comfortable are you doing that with a lithium pack underneath you?
Actually the fold flat 2nd row seats (5 seat version) foot print is identical to the pedestal seats so no new holes are needed. Looks like the 7 seat version has the same foot print as well. It makes sense from a manufacturing point of view.

I'm actually looking into this myself as well, relating to converting a 7 seater Model X 2017 to 2nd row being fold flat. Don't currently own one myself yet to experiment on, was going to see if paying extra for a newer 2017 model with fold flat seats is worth the cost.