TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Retrofit Bumper and LED

Discussion in 'Model S' started by newbie1235, Apr 12, 2016.

?

Can Front bumper and LED lights be retrofitted?

1. Only LED

34.9%
  2. Only Bumper

25.4%
  3. Both

39.7%
  1. newbie1235

newbie1235 Member

I called my SC and he said they should be able to in a few months. But when I read in other threads I notice a different answer. I have a 2015, but he didn't ask me what year my car was so I don't think that matters. Just wanted to see if anyone else tried to call their SC and ask if they can retrofit the bumper and led yet and what did they say?

2. commasign

commasign Active Member

I asked my local service manager and he said "not at this time".

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

Ugh! I really don't like the new look. One of the things I love about the Model S look is that it's like a Vanquish or a DB-9. They've completely ruined it with the update by giving it the duck bill / pug nosed look.

4. tanner

tanner Active Member

That's exactly what they said when I asked about AP hardware back in early 2015. They always say the same thing. Sadly, I don't think it'll be possible.

5. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

Actually, the pattern for years has been to get a different or vague answer depending on who/which SC you ask. Then if it becomes available it either will be unannounced and/or will cost $3000-$10,000. But, there really is no obligation here to offer retrofits. It would sure be nice though!

6. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

I think they are not retrofittable, and even if they are, would likely be too expensive. I really don't think LEDs are worth that much more than Xenons... I mean premium car companies charge a lot for them purely for profit... like if Toyota Prius can have LED lights standards, you know they are pretty much no more expensive compared to Xenons...

7. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

LEDs should be retrofiable, but bumper is a big question
    As long as they didnt change anything structural behind the cone

8. newbie1235

newbie1235 Member

But what happens if I destroy my front end ;)

9. tanner

tanner Active Member

If it's bad enough, e.g. the whole crumple zone gets smashed, you'll need a new car. Don't do it :D

10. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

Actually, Corollas come with LED headlights standard!

11. eyespii

eyespii Member

Are the LEDs really that much brighter than the xenons?

12. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

is it going to be easy to get to the terminals and all that we used to get to taking the front cover off?

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Personally, I do not believe that the bumper will be available for retrofit. My key reasoning is that the 12v jump posts are behind the nosecone. Those (and potentially also the 12v battery) had to be moved if they make that area inaccessible. That will likely cross into "structural changes" behind the nosecone and they simply not offer it, even if it would otherwise fit. Otherwise, how does an emergency 12v jump occur? In the cars now produced, they likely put the 12v itself (or at least the jump posts) under a panel under the frunk.

• Informative x 2
  14. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Structural is the big question. If it's the same, there could be a chance. On the battery posts, maybe they are accessible with the frunk open. Wishful thinking. I bet this will open up a 3 party market fast. If the price were right, I'd do it. I do like it. Though I will need to see it in the wild.

The only inconvenience for me would be that I mount both my radar and FastPass behind the cone. A very handy spot and super-easy install.

Bjorn did a comparison of the xenons to the X LEDs and the difference was absolutely huge. I really don't have much of an issue with my lights. But again, if the price were right, I would upgrade. I live the in the mountains and my biggest complaint about all fixed xenons is that when I come down a hill and transition to up, it is pitch black for a few seconds and I can't see a damn thing. I've adjusted and the MS lights are better than others I have had. But I've had the same issue on all three of my cars that have had them. Great for city/highway. Lousy for back country.

• Informative x 1
  15. Kalud

Kalud Member

12V is still accesible under the frunk like on the Model X, see manual page:

model x frunk.png

16. sorka

sorka Active Member

So you can open the frunk without a key??

17. Kalud

Kalud Member

Looks like it... On the X and now on the new S...

18. sorka

sorka Active Member

Geez. I often keep my briefcase in the frunk because I'm sure it's secure even if someone breaks in the cabin.

19. Kalud

Kalud Member

The "old" S has this release inside the cabin...
    s_frunk_release.png

20. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yikes! At least on the old version you need to be able to get in the car first. That new little secret is going to get out fast.