Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could try Tulsa, OK. They seemed very willing to order the part and shipping cost $8 something. Total cost was $161.XX. The person told me the price before I gave my address, so I think its just a flat rate to get it shipped.

Makes sense that the charge port ECU would be hard to get :D
@homero89 That might be an option for me. I've ordered one from Sunnyvale, CA about 3 1/2 weeks ago and so far crickets.

@abraha2d Saw that same article yesterday and came to the same conclusion.

Reactions: Guacahummus
Screenshot_20220528-122956_Gallery.jpg

I have joined the cool kids (old cars with new hardware) club

I didn't completely blur out the vin, so you can see that mine is a 2020 model year. Was produced (in Fremont) November 15th, 2019 and I took delivery December 4th, 2019.

My vehicle did not come with ECU with CCS support.

Hi everyone. Can Tesla install the CCS retrofit or is this something you have to DIY? There’s a lot of posts here - so I’m just trying to figure out what is required and if I could do it…

Is it simply swapping out the ECU? The car will update itself ? I saw the OP had tons of errors originally…

I have a 2018 M3 RWD LR.

And I assume you need to buy the CCS adapter from Korea?

As others have stated, no, Tesla does not offer this direct. You would need the bundle of wire, new ECU and the adapter. Plan on about $500 in parts. For you to determine whether it is worth it to gain CCS access.

The good news, being in Atlanta means there are local people who can help with the bundle of wires and the process. You would still need to get the ECU and adapter.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
OK, back from my crazy Free Memorial Day Weekend Incentive Tesla Charging roadtrip to the Mexico border...

I am REALLY not sure if I did something wrong or if something is just broke on my car.

Can someone please explain the process of removing the CCS cord and adapter when you wanna finish charging?

My experience: Press the button on the charge handle, no response (the pin is holding it from being pressed I guess). The charge had stopped, cannot remember if I did it or the charger did. I ended up pulling the charger emergency release. That got the Tesla all out of sync and I couldn't get it to accept a Supercharger plug at that point. Basically I don't know what I am doing with CCS so I will hav'ta play with it a lot more, but with the button locked I cannot figure out how one removes the charger from the car, so I am kinda scared to play.

Can someone please explain the process of removing the CCS cord and adapter when you wanna finish charging?
My experience (at EA stations) has been:
1a. The car unlocks the charge port when it's done charging, or...
1b. I press the button on the CCS handle as far as it will go, which is far enough to signal to the car to unlock the charge port.
2. I pull the CCS handle to disconnect it from the car. The adapter is still attached to the CCS handle.
3. I press the button on the CCS handle again (which should go down all the way now) and remove the adapter from the handle.

The key is that (at least on EA stations) the release button has enough play to trigger the switch that tells the car to unlock the port, even if it's not able to physically unlock itself. You'll have to push moderately hard.

I tried again. Looks like I may just need to unlock the car like when I use a J1772. Pressing the button did no good, but it’s the same CCS station I already tried so perhaps bad button. I tried pressing the lightning bolt on the phone app and got nothing. I tried unlocking the car with the padlock icon and the mirrors unfolded but the charger was still locked. I opened the back door and the plug came right out.

Reactions: jsight

I haven't tried with my Tesla yet, but with my Chevy Bolt, at a Volta station, I need to press the release button on the CCS handle and wait a few seconds for the handle to receive an unlock signal from the charging station. I find myself fruitlessly tugging almost every time, because it just seems longer than when using ChargePoint or a Tesla supercharger station. With ChargePoint and the Bolt, a button press on the CCS handle leads to a pretty instantaneous release. On EA and the Bolt, I think it was also a fairly quick release as well. I wouldn't be surprised to find some quirkiness with using the CCS adapter and the Tesla, based on my experiences with the CHAdeMO adapter.

Successful CCS charging session (peaked at 48kw on a "50kw" station)
20220530_144455.jpg

@FalconFour Do you know if the Tesla API is supposed to report a charging session with the jailbroken CCS, as CCS?

I charged at a Volta 50KW CCS earlier today, and while it recorded the charge, it didn't have the curve attached. Though in TeslaFi it does show up under the CHAdeMo/CCS chargelog. hmm.

I have not had the "charge door left open" problem yet... :knocksonwood:

Attachments

• amperage and voltage not provided by API.png
    amperage and voltage not provided by API.png
    992.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20220530-174838_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220530-174838_Chrome.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 56
  • chademo-ccs.png
    chademo-ccs.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220530_144300.jpg
    20220530_144300.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Does anyone have the part: 1537264-00-B ? I need to update my ECU for a 2021 MYP (September delivery) that does not have CCS installed/enabled.

For whatever reason, my service center won't order the part for me.

When you say "they won't order the part for me", did you submit a request via the app, or make a phone call?

I suppose the factory supply shortages that are affecting vehicle deliveries, might make them harder to come by... All of the cars that are on delivery-hold: parts, are competing for the same chargeport ECU. I wonder if tesla wants to buy back my 98D

When you say "they won't order the part for me", did you submit a request via the app, or make a phone call?

I suppose the factory supply shortages that are affecting vehicle deliveries, might make them harder to come by... All of the cars that are on delivery-hold: parts, are competing for the same chargeport ECU. I wonder if tesla wants to buy back my 98D
Fair question - I made a request via the app and the service center called me and let me know that this wasn't available for my vehicle right now and then closed the service request.

Status
Not open for further replies.