Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ghostml3 : I appreciate you trying to explain or guess things about their adapter, but what you are saying is completely inaccurate. You are literally spreading misinformation about how their product works and people are now seeing this adapter as a lie before it being even available. I understand you tested the adapter and was one of the beta testers but c'mon. Send an email, call them and bring us REAL information. I was in Montreal last week for work and decided to visit their physical location. To me, everything seems legit and these guys are hungry to succeed not on the money aspect but on the technological one.

Like @FalconFour mentioned it's the amps that determine the limits of such adapters and I can confirm that we spoke more about amps than kW. The only reason they are speaking kW is because most folks can't understand electricity concepts. I don't want them to reveal to me all of what's going on and I don't expect them to, there are things they can keep to themselves and I understand. There is a kill switch in their adapter, security measures that come at charging stations and our vehicles are well protected. I see nothing bad that could happen as this is only a passthrough device. I know my vehicle will protect itself if anything doesn't add up.

That's it.

I decided to give it a try and preorder an adapter from them as I seen from my own eyes that it works perfectly fine.

@Ghostml3 : I appreciate you trying to explain or guess things about their adapter, but what you are saying is completely inaccurate. You are literally spreading misinformation about how their product works and people are now seeing this adapter as a lie before it being even available. I understand you tested the adapter and was one of the beta testers but c'mon. Send an email, call them and bring us REAL information. I was in Montreal last week for work and decided to visit their physical location. To me, everything seems legit and these guys are hungry to succeed not on the money aspect but on the technological one.

Like @FalconFour mentioned it's the amps that determine the limits of such adapters and I can confirm that we spoke more about amps than kW. The only reason they are speaking kW is because most folks can't understand electricity concepts. I don't want them to reveal to me all of what's going on and I don't expect them to, there are things they can keep to themselves and I understand. There is a kill switch in their adapter, security measures that come at charging stations and our vehicles are well protected. I see nothing bad that could happen as this is only a passthrough device. I know my vehicle will protect itself if anything doesn't add up.

That's it.

I decided to give it a try and preorder an adapter from them as I seen from my own eyes that it works perfectly fine.
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 6.21.09 PM.png

My only issue here is that something can't be purely passive and also have a built in, automatic kill switch.

My only issue here is that something can't be purely passive and also have a built in, automatic kill switch.
I can see how it works in my head, just by describing its existence -- it's pretty simply a resettable thermal fuse that breaks one of the lines. Breaking Prox would probably be a good way to stop charging -- throwing a plug-out fault, while giving both sides all the time they need to negotiate a graceful shutdown. Even if it did break control pilot, I'm sure each side can figure it out gracefully as well.

And, doing it at 90c... that adapter is never gonna get that hot before the car or the station slow/stop charging first. It's basically a redundant safety thing, I guess. Not a bad thing. Way above the temperatures I was seeing throttling at. So it should never get that hot - but if it does, hey, safety is there.

I was just more worried about the chatter of kW, I suppose -- compounded by "why, dear god, why didn't they engineer the locking pin into it?!". ;)

Already have a Tesla CCS adapter myself, as well as the original EVHub adapter... paid too much for both 🙃... probably not gonna spring for another out of curiosity.

Reactions: Ghostml3 and jsight
Gen 3 is an evolution of charge port ECU, mostly 2017-end of 2019, those are without PLC,termoresistors and heated port part# 1092755
Gen 4 has a CCS chip and termoresistors to control/heat up port at winter. mostly on cars ~March 2020-June 2021 part#1537264-00-B
There is a gen4 version without CCS controller part# 1537264-80-B, June 2021-Oct2021

EU on other side always had CCS, and different seems only with heated port and different frequency of port opening

CP ECU, Assy, Gen 3, IEC
1092755-82-B
CP ECU, ASSY, GEN 4, EU
1537264-20-B

SO even US spec cars build at Gen4 03/2020-06/2021 and after Oct 2021 seems DO can Talk PLC/CCS protocol.
EU spec ECU are always could talk to CCS (main charge standard in Europe)
Hi guys I got an message back from Tesla saying they would not sell the gen4 ECU because it didn’t match with parts for my 2018 model 3

I can see how it works in my head, just by describing its existence -- it's pretty simply a resettable thermal fuse that breaks one of the lines. Breaking Prox would probably be a good way to stop charging -- throwing a plug-out fault, while giving both sides all the time they need to negotiate a graceful shutdown. Even if it did break control pilot, I'm sure each side can figure it out gracefully as well.

And, doing it at 90c... that adapter is never gonna get that hot before the car or the station slow/stop charging first. It's basically a redundant safety thing, I guess. Not a bad thing. Way above the temperatures I was seeing throttling at. So it should never get that hot - but if it does, hey, safety is there.

I was just more worried about the chatter of kW, I suppose -- compounded by "why, dear god, why didn't they engineer the locking pin into it?!". ;)

Already have a Tesla CCS adapter myself, as well as the original EVHub adapter... paid too much for both 🙃... probably not gonna spring for another out of curiosity.
Oh, I learned something from that. Thank you for the explanation.

Reactions: Ghostml3
I was one of the beta testers for the company that just released their CCS1 adapter in North America mentioned previously. I had it for just over 1 month, used it every 2-3 days and honestly it works like a charm. There is still some improvement that could be done with a safety pin or some similar safety mechanisms, but the majority of charging stations have plugs with integrated safety measures. I don’t think there’s any risk whatsoever. The only thing I dislike is their design. I hope they will change it or add some colors, other than that it does the job.
I’m happy to see people and companies work to bring aftermarket options to the community, feels like we are going the right direction.
Should somebody make a thread for this adapter? The price is attractive if people who've taken the risk on preordering it want to report back, given the lockout of the Korean Harumio first-party route, and it might be good to be able to compare notes and speculation of details of function better?

Reactions: israndy and jsight
Hi guys I got an message back from Tesla saying they would not sell the gen4 ECU because it didn’t match with parts for my 2018 model 3

You may need to physically go to your service center and literally state, "I would like to purchase a part." and show them this:

1658298479230.png

Do NOT willingly offer information regarding your vehicle or what it is for. It is an over-the-counter, non restricted part. If they ask, just tell them it's for a project and be vague without outright lying or worse, telling the truth. The moment they hear it's for an older Tesla Model 3 with Gen3 equipment, they will literally cut you off from purchasing it, even though technically you're allowed to. I've found some Service Center Parts Managers to be... reluctant to sell this part and making up absurd reasons you can't have it. It's just luck of the draw of which service center will allow it. Just remain nice and cordial the entire time and if you strike out, just check another service center if there's another one near you.

Should somebody make a thread for this adapter? The price is attractive if people who've taken the risk on preordering it want to report back, given the lockout of the Korean Harumio first-party route, and it might be good to be able to compare notes and speculation of details of function better?

(moderator note)

Unless the person is also a vendor, we (moderators) will remove the thread as advertising.

This thread already contains way (way way) too much discussion of sales or attempts at selling stuff from people who are not vendors on TMC. I have tried to pretend not to notice it all because of the way this thread started, but (for example) a business created an account, jumped in here, and started trying to talk about their product.

That requires being a vendor here on TMC. The site admins handle that, but we (volunteer admins) normally remove those posts, and notify the site admins to take action there.

TL ; DR ... way too much sales talk in this thread already, I suggest it pivot back to install etc, and I suggest no one post about selling things themselves.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
I submitted an "other -> something else" request with "I'd like to order a part for pickup at Tesla Service in [LOCATION] 1537264-00-B ASY. Charge port controller gen4, NA". I got a call that it was in stock and held for my support request and I went and picked it up two days later. It's listed as a over-the-counter, no VIN required part.

(moderator note)

Unless the person is also a vendor, we (moderators) will remove the thread as advertising.

This thread already contains way (way way) too much discussion of sales or attempts at selling stuff from people who are not vendors on TMC. I have tried to pretend not to notice it all because of the way this thread started, but (for example) a business created an account, jumped in here, and started trying to talk about their product.

That requires being a vendor here on TMC. The site admins handle that, but we (volunteer admins) normally remove those posts, and notify the site admins to take action there.

TL ; DR ... way too much sales talk in this thread already, I suggest it pivot back to install etc, and I suggest no one post about selling things themselves.
You realize this whole thread has been about sales from the first post? Or is FalconFour a vendor on here that we don't know about?

You realize this whole thread has been about sales from the first post? Or is FalconFour a vendor on here that we don't know about?

No, the entire thread was not about sales from the first post. It was about a DIY solution to a problem. At some point it became more about that, but as I said I specifically tried to ignore that (not shut the thread down) in respect for how it started. I am still trrying to do so, but that is getting harder, so I may just close it if everyones opinion is the thread is only about sales now.

No, the entire thread was not about sales from the first post. It was about a DIY solution to a problem. At some point it became more about that, but as I said I specifically tried to ignore that (not shut the thread down) in respect for how it started. I am still trrying to do so, but that is getting harder, so I may just close it if everyones opinion is the thread is only about sales now.
I was not trying to sell. I only wanted to share my experience about what I encountered. Please delete my posts if you feel I was trying to promote them. I’m just trying to help other people with options as Harumio just cut CCS1

• Helpful
Reactions: GWord
I was not trying to sell. I only wanted to share my experience about what I encountered. Please delete my posts if you feel I was trying to promote them. I’m just trying to help other people with options as Harumio just cut CCS1

I don't think the comment was directed at you. Personally I don't think you've done anything out of sort other than trigger a few users prone to pedantry.

I understand TMC has a system but unless Tesla starts making this a standard part/upgrade it's commercially unviable. As such, we kind of have to find ad hoc solutions and share them as they come or go.

That being said, having a neutral ground for vendors to share their solutions proactively rather than consumers, would go a long way to make this easier for everyone to accomplish. I do wonder if we can carve out a small vendor list for these kinds of grey-market/experimental solutions, where smaller businesses can promote without too much friction. Just an idea.

I still agree with the moderator though, this thread should be about support and technical help; if you are going to discuss the features of a third-party CCS adapter in depth, it belongs in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.