Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This all kind of a moot topic until such time in the future that Tesla starts selling the adapter in North America.

I've seen no date or expected date on this, or have you?
Well, that's kinda exactly why we're doing this. Two things. One: Tesla has this dumb habit of just popping things into existence, and popping them out whenever they want (like the CHAdeMO adapter... poof, it's compatible! poof! we're no longer selling it!). And specifically because a 3rd party adapter exists (as well as a 1st-party - Tesla's own - adapter also being obtainable from Korea), that's why we're here. We have no idea when Tesla's gonna actually get the damn thing to the US.

If I can do this entirely DIY and now be sipping up CCS juice whenever I want, today, here and now, then I wanted to share how I got there with everyone else.

BTW, I extended that first-post edit with a bit more info (including where/how to get an adapter, and why). ;)

BTW-BTW, the Setec adapter and a few others are actually just CHAdeMO emulators. That means they're stuck at 125 amps 😫 Virtually useless! haha. The CCS adapter can gulp down 600 amps if a station can send it.

** Since my CCS to Tesla Adapter is still on its way been shipped to Taiwan, I can not 100% make sure it will work. So I just list my procedure for your reference. Do it on your own risk!
** I give all my credits to FalconFour and EVHub, etc. I following their instructions.
** I will try to maintain an instruction for this job here About Tesla Model 3 - NEATLAB National Chung Cheng University Taiwan 中正大學 通訊系

I would like to update my recent progress regarding to swap my NA version GEN3 ECU to EU version GEN3 ECU

My stock CP ECU is GEN3 "1092755-98-D", and I swap it to GEN3 "1092755-82-B". No other parts need to modify, everything seems ok until now, except the main screen will pop up an alert: “CP_a051 Charge port may not open when pressed".

I list my steps below:

1. I drive to a Telsa service center and enter 'service mode', disable speed limit. Drive the car to home.

Video Tutorial:

2. Unplug 12v battery and main battery. Car shut down. ==> Be aware that open the front and back trunk and driver's side door before shut down the car, or you will be locked in car.

Video Tutorial:

3. Swap ECU.

Video Tutorial: https://youtu.be/F73rmZSyl14?t=138

4. Connect the 12v battery and main battery back. Car power-on.

5. Some alerts poped up, including "Unable to charge car" and "Need software update" (I am not sure whether the English is exactly as I am in Chinese version menu)

6. Use "Service mode" to update the software. Open the car's door before update progress or you might be locked in car. It may takes 30 minutes. After successful update, everything is ok except CP_a051 alert.

7. Exit "Service mode"

Doesn't that require a config change (incredibly intrusive gateway hack)? I wanted a config change to change my tail-light config to EU style*, but dead-ended in that doing a config change was required (and basically near impossible).
* - I have EU lights, but it isn't operated properly - good enough, but slightly wrong in that the brake lights also turn on the amber signals as well as the brake lights

The Gen4 ECU is theoretically electrically compatible with the Gen3 port (2017-late 2020), so only a firmware change would make it work. I suspect when the time comes, Tesla will have an alternate P/N that makes Gen4 work with the old ports ... no adapter needed. Thus also why I decided to make it a removable adapter, not actually changing anything about the stock harness. The firmware changes are, in theory, just as simple as ignoring the "cover sensor" (continuity pin, a 47k resistor in my adapter), and changing the thermal sensor voltage mapping to match the 10k. The old ground pins are still there on the board. The only "maybe" is the 2.7k resistor for the prox pin (pin missing on Gen4 ECU, undefined in wiring diagram = possible backwards compatibility). With that, the Gen4 would work as a plug-in replacement.

I really suspect that's the intended retrofit, if it ever comes out - especially given that the Gen4 port seems fundamentally incompatible otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
Does your "additional vehicle information" screen show CCS support as enabled now?
I am not sure if you are asking me or?

In Taiwanese version Model 3, it will NOT SHOW 'ccs support' option, no matter it is newer a CCS2 version Tesla Model 3 (imported from US since 2022), or my retrofit older Model 3 (2020 version). So, no way to know whether it is really 'support' on screen. Still need an adapter to verify it.

I am not sure if you are asking me or?

In Taiwanese version Model 3, it will NOT SHOW 'ccs support' option, no matter it is newer a CCS2 version Tesla Model 3 (imported from US since 2022), or my retrofit older Model 3 (2020 version). So, no way to know whether it is really 'support' on screen. Still need an adapter to verify it.
Wait, so your car literally doesn't say "CCS adapter support" at all? Er, or... wait, doesn't your car have vastly different charging ports to begin with? You'd said you had an NA Gen3 ECU, but not what car/port setup you have. 🤔

Here in the US, everyone tends to assume you've got this port 😂
1646721253216.png

But are you a
1646721317489.png

or a
1646721346574.png

🙃

Wait, so your car literally doesn't say "CCS adapter support" at all? Er, or... wait, doesn't your car have vastly different charging ports to begin with? You'd said you had an NA Gen3 ECU, but not what car/port setup you have. 🤔

Here in the US, everyone tends to assume you've got this port 😂
View attachment 778221

But are you a
View attachment 778223

or a
View attachment 778224

🙃

All Taiwanese Tesla Model 3 are imported from the US before 2022, and they are all TPC like yours 1646721253216.png
So I need an adapter to verify whether my swapped EU GEN3 ECU is working or not.

But, as far as I know, even someone in Taiwan has a new Model 3 with a CCS2 port (imported after 2022), some third-party SC did not compatible with the newer CCS2 model 3, it simply does not work. So, I can imagine even I can have an adapter maybe there is still some unknown that will be faced.

Attachments

• 1646721615293.png
    1646721615293.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Informative
It will only show ccs support enabled in additional information if changed to gen4 NA ECU, with gen3 EU ccs will function, but with ccs support not enabled mark.
My friend has a new CCS2 model 3 in Taiwan, just imported within few days. I assume it SHOULD BE GEN4. But its additional information does not show any 'CCS' related information. I think maybe the Taiwanese menu just do not display this information. Of course, these are my guess, I am not sure.

Well, that's kinda exactly why we're doing this. Two things. One: Tesla has this dumb habit of just popping things into existence, and popping them out whenever they want (like the CHAdeMO adapter... poof, it's compatible! poof! we're no longer selling it!). And specifically because a 3rd party adapter exists (as well as a 1st-party - Tesla's own - adapter also being obtainable from Korea), that's why we're here. We have no idea when Tesla's gonna actually get the damn thing to the US.

If I can do this entirely DIY and now be sipping up CCS juice whenever I want, today, here and now, then I wanted to share how I got there with everyone else.

BTW, I extended that first-post edit with a bit more info (including where/how to get an adapter, and why). ;)

BTW-BTW, the Setec adapter and a few others are actually just CHAdeMO emulators. That means they're stuck at 125 amps 😫 Virtually useless! haha. The CCS adapter can gulp down 600 amps if a station can send it.
I am in Europe, and the Tesla Service Centers here will not allow me to purchase the Tesla Model Y Chargeport Computer Module 1537264-00-B (the Gen4). Is there anyone here that could purchase it from a US Service Center, and post it on eBay for me to purchase it from? I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for your time, maybe $200 total? I have a US-based Model Y. I, unfortunately, purchased it in the narrow window when they did not have the CCS enable chips installed. :(

For me, that means that I can only charge the car using my mobile charger at home in my garage. ::Sigh::

BTW awesome posts Falcon Four! I have read the feed from the beginning. I think you should make and sell the adapters needed for the Gen3 ECU's on the Model 3

I am in Europe, and the Tesla Service Centers here will not allow me to purchase the Tesla Model Y Chargeport Computer Module 1537264-00-B (the Gen4). Is there anyone here that could purchase it from a US Service Center, and post it on eBay for me to purchase it from? I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for your time, maybe $200 total? I have a US-based Model Y. I, unfortunately, purchased it in the narrow window when they did not have the CCS enable chips installed. :(

For me, that means that I can only charge the car using my mobile charger at home in my garage. ::Sigh::

BTW awesome posts Falcon Four! I have read the feed from the beginning. I think you should make and sell the adapters needed for the Gen3 ECU's on the Model 3
You could try seeing if they could order the Korean 1537264-10-B. Otherwise the EU charge ECU (1537264-20-B) might work as well

Falcon-given the state of global affairs do you happen to know if EVhub is still shipping adapters? I would highly suspect not if they are physically based in Ukraine, but would be happy to support a Ukrainian establishment if they are somehow still doing business.

Falcon-given the state of global affairs do you happen to know if EVhub is still shipping adapters? I would highly suspect not if they are physically based in Ukraine, but would be happy to support a Ukrainian establishment if they are somehow still doing business.
EVHub is user @AlexUA here on the forum. His last post was Friday (link below). He's in Kyiv so probably has a lot of other things to deal with at the moment. Hope he stays safe. Glory to Ukraine!

According to the EV-Hub website when you select the CCS 1 adapter, there is text that reads as follows: "THE PRODUCT WILL BE IN STOCK 31/03/2022"

1646776489761.png

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.