Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Official CCS1-TPC should just be straight pass-through of all pins. The potential issue with yours may be that CCS1 stations have a weird, nonstandard way the prox pin is wired (Type 2 does it differently, and modified stations with Type 1 cables may be a bit... funky). The resistor tweak may fix that.

Hope it works out!

Just added the 160 ohm resistor on PP-PE<=== Thank you @Wildib23 for your instruction

1650200048822.png

Tested the modified Ukrainian CCS2-TPC adapter on the following SCs:

Tesla TPC SC => work (v2,v3)
Tesla CCS2 SC => v2 work, v3 no work==> cp_a139 'Charging equipment reports error' ,
Thrid-party CCS2 SC (eTail) => work

To me this result is good although not perfect. Will test CCS1-TPC adapter later soon.

If Tesla CCS2 SC v3 can work it will even better!

Last edited:
And this was with the official Tesla CCS1 adapter? Was the adapter hot when you unplugged it?
Yes it was with the official Tesla CCS1 adapter. No it wasn't hot at all. I mean, the carging protocol passes by the CCS chip so the car is aware it is charging CCS by an adapter. If there were any problem, the car would slow the charging down.

This was my experience with Harum.io as well. You can change your Tesla password after they order, and I was fine with paying a little more for getting the adapter.

I thought about using another service that gives you a shipping address at a Korean warehouse so you can order it yourself to be sent there, then the service will pick it up and ship it to you. You can use Google translate to translate the Korean Tesla website to English and order the adapter yourself to the temporary warehouse address. I decided not to do that because I wasn't familiar with Korean addresses and didn't want to mess anything up.
I ordered mine via Harum.io on April 14 and was notified by Tesla my order was completed via email on April 17. Should have it in early May.
ccs1.jpg

Reactions: wlee
I ordered mine via Harum.io on April 14 and was notified by Tesla my order was completed via email on April 17. Should have it in early May.
View attachment 795001
did you ever receive a tracking number from a local korean courier and how long did it take to get from Tesla to Harum?

My order showed this:

order completed​

Unable to check delivery status

a few hours after I placed it, and it still shows this since 4/13

Reactions: DoubleDD and wlee
Just ordered a 1537264-00-B at my local service center to replace my 1537264-80-B in my Aug 2021 MY, today. Paid for it no questions asked. It's going to be shipped to the SC and then they'll call me to come pick it up. Ordered a CCS1 adapter through harum.io. I can almost taste the electrons from CCS already!

Reactions: DoubleDD and wlee
did you ever receive a tracking number from a local korean courier and how long did it take to get from Tesla to Harum?

My order showed this:

order completed​

Mine is the same. I think Harum will update their system once they ship it. Not sure. Maybe someone that has received their CCS adapter from Harum can chime in.

Harum.io Order History: Current
harum order info.jpg

My order showed this:

order completed​

I never looked at the tracking info from Harumio, but they received my adapter in 7 days (paid them on 4/8 and they received on 4/15). They shipped it to me the same day they received it and gave me a DHL tracking number that I've been looking at. Looks like it will be 7 days total to get to me from Harumio (my expected delivery is this Friday).

Reactions: kayak1 and wlee
I never looked at the tracking info from Harumio, but they received my adapter in 7 days (paid them on 4/8 and they received on 4/15). They shipped it to me the same day they received it and gave me a DHL tracking number that I've been looking at. Looks like it will be 7 days total to get to me from Harumio (my expected delivery is this Friday).
thanks so much for the details. 2 weeks from the day of order from South Korea is awesome. Curious how much duty and Taxes will be to the USA. :)

Hi Harumio here,

We saw some traffic to our site coming from here, so we registered an account to engage directly and get some feedback and suggestions.

To answer a few questions,
1. Our pricing might differ from Google exchange rate because Google uses mid-market rate, which is significantly "cheaper" than what PayPal / Credit card companies actually charge us. We could offer a US bank wire transfer option but that's usually reserved for bulk orders of 10 adapters and above.

2. Based on our past experience, there shouldn't be any tax/duties for USA customers but Canada would probably have taxes/duties.

3. If there's demand for it, we can organize a group buy but a member of the community would need to offer their Tesla account in order for us to purchase the adapters.

If there's any questions, please feel free to ask. :D

Thank you!

Hi Harumio here,

We saw some traffic to our site coming from here, so we registered an account to engage directly and get some feedback and suggestions.

1. Our pricing might differ from Google exchange rate because Google uses mid-market rate, which is significantly "cheaper" than what PayPal / Credit card companies actually charge us. We could offer a US bank wire transfer option but that's usually reserved for bulk orders of 10 adapters and above.

2. Based on our past experience, there shouldn't be any tax/duties for USA customers but Canada would probably have taxes/duties.

3. If there's demand for it, we can organize a group buy but a member of the community would need to offer their Tesla account in order for us to purchase the adapters.

Thank you!
I thought there is a limit to 1 adapter per Tesla account? Thanks for the additional information. Glad I had mine shipped to the USA instead of Canada. So far I'm happy with this Service. Ordered mine last week. :)
BCTESLAGUY

Hi Harumio here,

Thank you!
I imagine that there is enough interest for a group purchase. Can you verify that you can get multiple adapters with a single tesla account?

I imagine that there is enough interest for a group purchase. Can you verify that you can get multiple adapters with a single tesla account?
I know that the order page does not limit you to just 1, but don't know if Tesla sets a limit on checkout or after placing the order. I ordered 1 through Harumio and should have it in a few days, but wish I would have tried getting 2. I'm only getting the adapter to retrofit my older Model 3 to show a friend that it can be done. He's the one that wants the CCS1 capability.

Reactions: DoubleDD
It sounds like the idea here isn't to get a group buy through one account, but rather to group-buy a number of different Tesla owners' adapters, then save significantly on shipping by packing them all together and shipping them to one person.

I'd be willing to rotate through my EVHub adapter if someone wants to buy two adapters, perhaps! I'd buy one with mine and pass along the UA adapter to someone that wants two (one Tesla & one EVHub). Then I can volunteer as tribute 😂

Actually, on second look of the Tesla Korea CCS1 adapter page, I'm not actually seeing any limit of 1 per account 🤔 And @harumio also kinda implied we might only need one user to volunteer their account 😄 Given my ability to buy as many Gen4 ECUs as I like, maybe I might have good luck there as a gateway as well? 🤔

Food for thought! Well, my finances are a bit tight at the moment (need to save for an upcoming move and it's not going so well), so I can't really advance any purchase at the moment... but... food for thought? I'm otherwise really well suited to packing & shipping, so, hmm.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Actually, on second look of the Tesla Korea CCS1 adapter page, I'm not actually seeing any limit of 1 per account 🤔 And @harumio also kinda implied we might only need one user to volunteer their account 😄 Given my ability to buy as many Gen4 ECUs as I like, maybe I might have good luck there as a gateway as well? 🤔

Food for thought! Well, my finances are a bit tight at the moment (need to save for an upcoming move and it's not going so well), so I can't really advance any purchase at the moment... but... food for thought? I'm otherwise really well suited to packing & shipping, so, hmm.

I don't think it is possible to use one account to buy many adapters. Tesla will cancel it. Harumio need multiple accounts to order multiple adapters. I guess they simply find some local people's addresses to order the product but rather use public parcel forwarder's addresses, so they won't be catched by Tesla, as this product is intend sell locally.

By the way, I verified the stock Tesla CCS1-TPC adapter, and found (1) no resistance between PP-PE pin, the 'push-switch' on the adapter has no effect on PP-PE pin. (2) It is much heavier than the Ukrainian CCS2-TPC adapter I have.

1650428481814.png
1650428821277.png

If I had a place I could order a few, I've been seriously entertaining the thought of getting some, spray painting all of the non-contact surface the most obnoxious possible shade of orange, putting a sticker on it that says "property of Sheetz XXXX," drill a hole someplace non-critical and zip-tie it to a spatula, the whole roadside gas station bathroom key/hall pass treatment, and leaving them with the staff behind the counter at a couple regional fast charge stations as an option for people passing through. Until it is really possible for everyone who wants one to order one, it seems like there really might be a benefit of associating them with fast-charge sites, not cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.