Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
edit: @FalconFour What about software updates that fix a "recall" notice? I don't know if one could dismiss an install that was issued in order to fix some known safety problem.
Honestly, I've only ever repeatedly dismissed an update once -- the dark period just before FSD Beta went public - I was frustrated by meaningless updates that kept breaking things like USB media album art, decreasing AP quality, etc. During FSD Beta, I've also never had an update just force itself on me. IMHO there has only once been a "known safety problem" (discounting nonsense NHTSA freakouts about seatbelt chime edge-cases, among others): the release of FSD Beta 10.3 which contained a bug that, under certain conditions (Sentry+Park), left the FSD computer in low-power mode while driving, and thus caused horrendous FCW and emergency braking false alarms. In that case, EVEN THEN, the immediate (overnight, from the night it was released) fix was to roll back to the latest non-FSD release version, so as not to corrupt profile/system info of the base firmware version. That was a clever fix - and it was patched/re-released as 10.3.1 just a day later I think.

But at no point was it ever forced. Some people held onto the buggy version, knowing it had the issues (and how to resolve them), not knowing when Tesla would come up with a re-release to get FSD back again. Unfortunately, I was one that applied the update (downgrade) as soon as it appeared without checking the version. haha. But... if you don't tap the update, you don't get the update.

The fundamental point being, updates take a while... and it could be a much bigger safety issue if an update forced itself at the wrong time, preventing you from driving the car. The owner/driver must always be aware of, and choose when to, install an update and disable the car for a number of minutes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: power.saver
That was a clever fix - and it was patched/re-released as 10.3.1 just a day later I think.
The rollback they did was also stopped pretty quickly, as someone must have said "can't we just disable FCW's instead of rolling back" so then they remotely disabled FCW/avoidance, until 10.3.1 came out. That was even more clever as that didn't require action from the user.

Reactions: FalconFour
Christmas came early! One week from order to delivery.
IMG_0141.jpeg
IMG_0142.jpeg

But I called my local SC today and they said my ECU is still "ordered" and not shipped. :/

All these part shortages are another reason why I'm not so sure we will see a North American CCS adapter anytime soon. Imagine if they released the adapter and then tell everyone that really not many Tesla's out there in the world are compatible with the adapter currently (basically only newer vehicles and even my 2021 needs a new ECU). And also you can't get a retrofit for older Tesla's bc we don't have any parts to do it lol. Oh and yeah it doesn't work with S & X vehicles either. Just makes more sense to not release it for the time being.

Tested another thrid-party CCS1/2 SC (EVOASIS)

CCS1 didn't work with stock Tesla adapter, car report multiple error code, CP_a133, CP_a074, CP_a066, tried several times but didn't work.
===> any suggestion?

CCS2 work with modified ukraine CCS2 adapter, SC outputs 75kw but car received 68kw,10% loss !

did you ever receive a tracking number from a local korean courier and how long did it take to get from Tesla to Harum?

My order showed this:

order completed​

Unable to check delivery status

a few hours after I placed it, and it still shows this since 4/13
update: my original order got cancelled and money refunded by Tesla with no explanation. trying one more time.

update: my original order got cancelled and money refunded by Tesla with no explanation. trying one more time.
It showed the same for me, never gave a tracking number and then just arrived. (I used Korgou, cost me 56$ for shipping and processing, on top of the 242$ for the adapter). In this case I had to order it myself on the Tesla South Korea website, which wasn't easy as the address fields didn't really accept all input.

In any case:
- CCS adapter on the way
- Bundle of wires on the way
- Gen 4 ECU should be at the SC on May 6th

The extra 7 kW are likely going to HVAC and/or battery heating...
Battery heating, 90% of it. Amusing side effect that will be more visible here: Tesla chooses to run the battery heating up to 130f-or-so, whenever it detects DC charging of any kind/speed. Can be a 20kW CCS station and the car will be like Sonic, "GOTTA GO FAST". Ends up costing a lot, the slower the station is...

Reactions: Dave EV and wlee
Battery heating, 90% of it. Amusing side effect that will be more visible here: Tesla chooses to run the battery heating up to 130f-or-so, whenever it detects DC charging of any kind/speed. Can be a 20kW CCS station and the car will be like Sonic, "GOTTA GO FAST". Ends up costing a lot, the slower the station is...
Yeah, watched my car on a 9KW DC connection (hey, it's free and near my house) this week drive the coolant to 130°F before cutting back:

757F1C3F-7912-40D2-81A8-C01F5FF01F3A_1_105_c.jpeg 7:49
Battery Heat Target 142°F
5BB7352D-6185-483F-A5AE-68275992A81C_1_105_c.jpeg 7:59
Battery Heat Target 115°F
FA35B9B1-F362-4A1C-AE91-D4FE88B7129C_1_105_c.jpeg 8:12 charge complete
Battery Heat Target 18°F

The coolant maxed out around 133° bringing the batts as high as 132° before they were actually generating enough heat on their own to surpass the coolant temp, but the rear stator continued heating and maxed out at 153°F a while after the Heat Target had dropped back to 115°.

Would be cool to have a system graphic that shows the coolant doing it's job with images for the radiator fan and louvers and showing the path and the effect the system takes on the coolant. Oh, and the amount of electricity used to heat the batts, and maybe a switch to turn it off...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: wlee and FalconFour
Status
Not open for further replies.