Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my order for the CCS adapter ($318.50) from Harumio confirmed a couple of minutes ago. Painless process so far.

I followed some advice here and created a Tesla account especially for Harumio and linked it to my own. The only problem (?) I had was that when I logged into tesla.com with the new credentials, I could not see the vehicle's VIN. The VIN was displayed within the Tesla app though. So I let Harumio know that and apparently everything was cool and they sent me the invoice that I approved.

I called Santa Clara Service and left a voicemail yesterday to see if they had the Gen4 ECU. So far no word from them.

Reactions: kayak1 and wlee
Just check my tesla app where it shows a service appointment with no date, kinda weird how it handles the OTC order. But it says 1537264-80-B as the part number! I told the guy I wanted to order a 00-B. On the description it says "Parts Replaced or Added" does that mean I'll be getting a 1537264-00-B to replace my 1537264-80-B? No need to be waiting around for the wrong part to arrive. Others that have an ECU on order, what does your invoice say?

IMG_0164.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
Just check my tesla app where it shows a service appointment with no date, kinda weird how it handles the OTC order. But it says 1537264-80-B as the part number! I told the guy I wanted to order a 00-B. On the description it says "Parts Replaced or Added" does that mean I'll be getting a 1537264-00-B to replace my 1537264-80-B? No need to be waiting around for the wrong part to arrive. Others that have an ECU on order, what does your invoice say?

View attachment 798007
My invoice says 00-B and I confirmed verbally with the guy that it said 00-B. The ECU is being delivered today so I will confirm for sure once in hand.

I don't think they even make the 80-B anymore? The Tesla parts manual only lists the 00-B version. Could just be a mistake on the invoice

I stopped in the local SC in Tyler TX yesterday to buy the ECU (I have the 80-B version). They didn't have one in stock and said they would need to make a service appointment and list an issue to order one for me. They asked what problem I was having so I explained what I was doing. The guy at the counter said he was very interested in what I was trying to do and wanted to see how it would work out. He was going to talk with his manager and see what he can do for me. We'll see. I mentioned about hearing that they were shipping cars without an ECU and he said he hadn't heard anything about that happening.

I stopped in the local SC in Tyler TX yesterday to buy the ECU (I have the 80-B version). They didn't have one in stock and said they would need to make a service appointment and list an issue to order one for me. They asked what problem I was having so I explained what I was doing. The guy at the counter said he was very interested in what I was trying to do and wanted to see how it would work out. He was going to talk with his manager and see what he can do for me. We'll see. I mentioned about hearing that they were shipping cars without an ECU and he said he hadn't heard anything about that happening.
No need to give too much information. Just call all the local service centers in the area until you find one who has one in stock. I called the Richmond, VA service center and I live in South Carolina (family lives in Richmond so I've actually been there before too). They shipped it to me and it will be here today. No questions asked, just needed my Tesla account to verify I was an actual Tesla owner and to pay for the part.

Also see my post from earlier this week below:

Update to my own update:

As I said Charlotte was no help (not surprising as it has got to be the worst Tesla service center there is). Decided to call the Raleigh service center to see if they had the part available and no luck there either. Called the Richmond, VA service center since I've been there before (family lives there) and I've had nothing but positive experiences. Sure enough they had one in stock! Parts guy was super nice and since FedEx already came today it will be shipped tomorrow. Got the tracking number already too. ECU was $140 plus only $15.60 for overnight shipping!

He also asked my why I wanted it since he said it shows him in the system I have the latest ECU available with the "80-B" revision. I didn't give too much detail and simply just said I needed the "00-B" version as the "80-B" version is stripped down :)

Reactions: MSHampton
Thought I would try to order GEN 4 ecu thru app. Set up service appt for "Other". Requested part order only with part number.
Got appt date for two weeks out, Then got standard message about preparing for my visit. Nothing further.
Next, called local svc center & left VM with parts dept requesting part order with part number, no call back.
(even having a phone number to call service center was new to me)
Went to service center today with part number in hand. Rep asked what I was planning to do with the part. I asked if I needed to say.
He said no, but I would need to return for software update. (I hope not!)
Anyway, he sold me the part & I think he said it cannot be returned, fwiw.

• Love
Reactions: FalconFour
Thought I would try to order GEN 4 ecu thru app. Set up service appt for "Other". Requested part order only with part number.
Got appt date for two weeks out, Then got standard message about preparing for my visit. Nothing further.
Next, called local svc center & left VM with parts dept requesting part order with part number, no call back.
(even having a phone number to call service center was new to me)
Went to service center today with part number in hand. Rep asked what I was planning to do with the part. I asked if I needed to say.
He said no, but I would need to return for software update. (I hope not!)
Anyway, he sold me the part & I think he said it cannot be returned, fwiw.
Which service center?

I went tot he Kennesaw facility and they did not have any but could order. But they said to get in tough with the Alpharetta SC as they show as having three in stock. I left a message but am not holding my breathe on getting a call back.

The service center parts number works for some service centers and not others. For example, the Charlotte service center will never pick up or call you back and told me all requests are done through the app. But the Raleigh and Richmond parts number I got someone on the line pretty quickly after you go through all the prompts from the main number.

Folks we have liftoff! CCS enabled!

Installing the new ECU was relatively simple. The worst part was removing the trim pieces and then reinstalling them. Also those clips that go into the ECU were a royal PITA to get out of the old ECU. Sure enough I had the crappy GEN4 "80-B" variant. Charging did not work after installing the new GEN4 "00-B" ECU (I tried just for fun) and error codes popped up. I figured I would be getting software update soon by looking at TeslaFi, but lucky me got it this afternoon shortly after my new ECU arrived. When installing the software update I heard a lot of weird noises that I hadn't heard before on previous software updates; the screen showed the ECU was being updated during that time.

IMG-8239.jpg

IMG-8240.jpg

IMG-8241.jpg

unnamedsds (1).jpg

IMG-8244.jpg

IMG-8247.jpg

I mentioned about hearing that they were shipping cars without an ECU and he said he hadn't heard anything about that happening.
That's definitely not happening, so they're not wrong - it's not ;) However, they're just not shipping cars without a charge port ECU - and that's the whole point. No ECU, no car... big problem for people trying to get an ECU.

Folks we have liftoff! CCS enabled!
Heckin' nice!! Well, I mean, yours is a 2021 "-80-" swap, so it's kinda expected :) But still awesome to see it. Was a little concerned at first, seeing the errors and all, but I get it - chronological order :)

Status
Not open for further replies.