Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little update. The current name-of-the-game is "getting the ECU", seems to be the hardest part. I've had a couple people now mention (directly and through this thread) that their experience asking for the ECU has been sloppy, hit-or-miss, different SCs say different things. Not sure why that's the case. But I can tell they're getting hard to find.

Of particular note, a few people have mentioned that their SC straight-up refuses to sell one to them, because "it's restricted", or "it's high voltage". Well, no. The ECU is entirely a low-voltage part (otherwise it'd have bright orange cables around it, and an HV warning sign on it - these are regulations Tesla has to stick to ;) ). No part of this project involves touching HV or removing/crossing any "orange boundaries".

But more importantly: the part isn't restricted. You can see this for yourself - go to Parts Catalog and sign-in with your regular ole' Tesla account, click "catalogs", "vehicles", "Model 3", then navigate to the "44 - High Voltage System" section, and "4401 - Charge System Inlet". That will lead you to a page with only one selection: "Charge Port". Click the image. That's the catalog page. Note item 2:

View attachment 801388

See how it says "Over-the-Counter (No VIN)"? Yeah. Show this to them, lol. It's their own catalog page.

Hopefully this doesn't get worse. It's oddly now almost more difficult to get the ECU than it is to get the adapter 😂
Two weeks ago (before the rush) I strolled into the Lisle, IL Service Center. I provided the part number, and he paused. "I might not be able to sell this to you..." He did some checking and came to the same conclusion you did. Result: I left with the goods. And no, I'm not going to resell it. It is going into my 2019...

I went into the Paramus, NJ Service Center on April 26th and told them I wanted to order Part Number 1537264-00-B. He looked up my information and told me he does not think it is the correct part. I explained that this is indeed the correct part number. I told him that it is to make my Model 3 CCS ready. I told him I know how to make it work with a wiring adapter. He replied that this may not work without an (I jumped in and said without an update flash) update flash. He mentioned that I probably should not be worried about this and that it should be covered. I doubt that will be the case! He processed the order for me and said he could not give an ETA. $140 plus tax. I checked my app estimate and the part # is what I ordered 1537264-00-B .

Also remember everyone you don’t need to give a lot of details that just will inevitably just lead to more questions. “CCS is not in NA yet” “Why do you want CCS?” “I’m not sure this will make your car CCS ready” The service advisor will just come up with anything. I just want the latest ECU is all you need to say. Are you not allowed to sell it to me?

Also remember everyone you don’t need to give a lot of details that just will inevitably just lead to more questions. “CCS is not in NA yet” “Why do you want CCS?” “I’m not sure this will make your car CCS ready” The service advisor will just come up with anything. I just want the latest ECU is all you need to say. Are you not allowed to sell it to me?
When I got mine, the service guy was indeed curious. I told him straight up what I was doing. "Wow", he said, "you are going to be ahead of the curve for sure!"

When I got mine, the service guy was indeed curious. I told him straight up what I was doing. "Wow", he said, "you are going to be ahead of the curve for sure!"
Glad you got a good service guy! I also had a good one when I ordered who was a bit curious as he told me the system said the “80-B” in my car was the latest revision and there was no difference between it and the “00-B” version, but didn’t ask too much after I was just like I need this one lol. Seems like many here have not been so fortunate though.

Reactions: ager01
I think it's a bit of an art.
  • be helpful if you want them to be helpful. They'd like to solve a service request. Make it easy.
  • they may not be familiar with people that know a specific part number. Don't be uncertain or unsure of what you want when you go in, murmuring something about "haha see uhhh I uuhhhh there's this thing :D that I want? see? uhh".
  • Go in, and (in The Good Timeline):
    • "hey, I'd like to order a part by number."
      "Cool, can I get your (phone number, email address, last 6 of your VIN)?".
    • "yeah it's (...)".
      "cool what's the part number?"
    • "1537264-00-B".
      "wow you literally memorized that? lol".
    • "yeah kinda been a lot of research lol".
      "okay" (grey area where they may not find it / may show incompatible / may be right there / etc)
    • "here's your part :D"
    • "total is $152.78, use the card on file ending in (1234)?"
      "sure"
    • "we're all set, anything else?"
      "nope thank you kindly"
  • if they're like "nah" (The Bad Timeline):
    • it's literally in the parts catalog (may recommend pulling the EPC up on your phone in advance - use steps on previous page to access it).
    • it's literally "over the counter (no VIN)", that means anyone can walk in and buy it
    • it's not a high voltage part, it has no contact with high voltage
    • "no VIN" means you can order incompatible parts as long as you know the P/N, and have a VIN order it to as a customer. (example: I almost placed an order for the Model S Plaid Gen4 ECU earlier in this thread, except that it had a price tag of $600 or something and I'm like, lol nope)
    • if you need to keep them in stock for legit reasons, just tell me, but if you honestly think you're not allowed to sell it, please ask a manager (it's not YOU that wants to "speak to your manager", it's them that should ask the manager)
    • if even the manager says "no", honestly it's kind of a dead end. Try another SC.
  • Don't:
    • expect them to do it for you
    • expect ANY help with installing it
    • ask if you can return it if it doesn't work (that's what eBay is for - you can always sell it and there will be a hundred thirsty buyers in a day)
    • hold them up with half an hour of conversation if they seem to be anything related to busy :)
    • be so damn skiddish or over-protective/secretive that you make them think you're trying for industrial espionage or something. like, bro you're not a friggin spy, you don't have to act like you're protecting secrets or stealing something. it's a 100% legit transaction, just an unusual one.
  • This is where kindness and saving-them-some-hassle comes into play. Their workflow is: look you up -> look up the part -> find it in stock -> retrieve it -> pay for it -> :D have a nice day :D
  • if they're curious, go into detail about the CCS thing. It's the Gen4 charge port controller for the newer car, but there are only minor differences that can be used on old cars with a simple wiring adapter. Gen4 has CCS compatibility, but only on the -00- part, not the -80- part. I'll install it, and not be able to charge until I get an update. (hey, they could push a reflash to your car with 2 or 3 clicks from the page they're on - "is it quick to push a reflash request now?" wouldn't be a bad thing to ask). You can install/accept the reflash (update) at your own leisure, but it saves you a trip to service mode.
I visited my friendly neighborhood SC again today and they had precisely ONE -00- in stock, not associated with a car already. It was my lucky day, as I have a friend that's taking a long road trip out here to get the personal touch installation - and hadn't been able to acquire an ECU yet. Of course, the guys recognized me from my many previous visits, lol... and happy to know it's going well. So, hey, rub their back, they'll rub yours - at least if they're sure you won't become a Karen or Ken to them if it doesn't work out. :)

Last edited:
I went into the Paramus, NJ Service Center on April 26th and told them I wanted to order Part Number 1537264-00-B. He looked up my information and told me he does not think it is the correct part. I explained that this is indeed the correct part number. I told him that it is to make my Model 3 CCS ready. I told him I know how to make it work with a wiring adapter. He replied that this may not work without an (I jumped in and said without an update flash) update flash. He mentioned that I probably should not be worried about this and that it should be covered. I doubt that will be the case! He processed the order for me and said he could not give an ETA. $140 plus tax. I checked my app estimate and the part # is what I ordered 1537264-00-B .
Please post an update when you receive the board. Paramus is within my target driving distance.

I have the 2021 model 3 SR+ and it's written CCS not installed. my question is :
Do I need to upgrade the ECU ? If yes, is there a video showing steps by steps?

If I already have ECU gen 4, I simply have to order "1537264-00-B"? Or I need more stuffs?
Thanks guys

I have the 2021 model 3 SR+ and it's written CCS not installed. my question is :
Do I need to upgrade the ECU ? If yes, is there a video showing steps by steps?

If I already have ECU gen 4, I simply have to order "1537264-00-B"? Or I need more stuffs?
Thanks guys
You have a Gen4 battery and a 80-B ECU. All you have to do is get a 00-B ECU and swap it out. No special wires/adapters needed. I highly recommend you read this whole thread.

You have a Gen4 battery and a 80-B ECU. All you have to do is get a 00-B ECU and swap it out. No special wires/adapters needed. I highly recommend you read this whole thread.
I mean, it's 32 pages long now, and a non-trivial part of it is outdated R&D and OT fluff. I try to keep the first post reasonably up to date to combat information rot, thread overload, and to make it accessible.

Thus, don't have to read the whole thread, but at a bare minimum, read the updated/maintained part of the first post!

Just got my context-free bundle of wires!
1651959063290.png

Really excited, although I'm not particularly sure why...

Jokes aside, great work Falcon! All I need now is a Gen4 ECU. The local service center (Decatur, GA) just points people to EPC to order parts, which wants $200 just for shipping (not including the $140 for the part itself)... Unreasonable unless they're planning on getting it to my door overnight (which from experience, they're not).

Attachments

• 1651959131199.png
    1651959131199.png
    883.6 KB · Views: 88
Just got my context-free bundle of wires!
View attachment 801637
Really excited, although I'm not particularly sure why...

Jokes aside, great work Falcon! All I need now is a Gen4 ECU. The local service center (Decatur, GA) just points people to EPC to order parts, which wants $200 just for shipping (not including the $140 for the part itself)... Unreasonable unless they're planning on getting it to my door overnight (which from experience, they're not).
Did you have to sign up as a business? My local also said the same thing, but when I try to do it, it seems setup for businesses.

Reactions: ager01
Did you have to sign up as a business? My local also said the same thing, but when I try to do it, it seems setup for businesses.
Yeah, I've got a used car dealership set up so I was able to use that business license. I left most of the fields blank if they didn't apply to me (like shop address, pictures, work insurance, etc). They took their sweet time reviewing the application... almost 3 weeks.

Local SC was definitely unfamiliar with the process. Initially they thought I would just be able to go to EPC and order parts. I brought my laptop with me and showed them what I was seeing, and they ended up giving me the email of someone higher up at Tesla. That's who told me to submit the application to be able to order parts.

Given the amount of info I left blank, I'm thinking you might be able to submit the form without any business details (just your name, email address, shipping address, and phone number I guess).

I think it's a bit of an art.
  • be helpful if you want them to be helpful. They'd like to solve a service request. Make it easy.
  • they may not be familiar with people that know a specific part number. Don't be uncertain or unsure of what you want when you go in, murmuring something about "haha see uhhh I uuhhhh there's this thing :D that I want? see? uhh".
  • Go in, and (in The Good Timeline):
    • "hey, I'd like to order a part by number."
      "Cool, can I get your (phone number, email address, last 6 of your VIN)?".
    • "yeah it's (...)".
      "cool what's the part number?"
    • "1537264-00-B".
      "wow you literally memorized that? lol".
    • "yeah kinda been a lot of research lol".
      "okay" (grey area where they may not find it / may show incompatible / may be right there / etc)
    • "here's your part :D"
    • "total is $152.78, use the card on file ending in (1234)?"
      "sure"
    • "we're all set, anything else?"
      "nope thank you kindly"
  • if they're like "nah" (The Bad Timeline):
    • it's literally in the parts catalog (may recommend pulling the EPC up on your phone in advance - use steps on previous page to access it).
    • it's literally "over the counter (no VIN)", that means anyone can walk in and buy it
    • it's not a high voltage part, it has no contact with high voltage
    • "no VIN" means you can order incompatible parts as long as you know the P/N, and have a VIN order it to as a customer. (example: I almost placed an order for the Model S Plaid Gen4 ECU earlier in this thread, except that it had a price tag of $600 or something and I'm like, lol nope)
    • if you need to keep them in stock for legit reasons, just tell me, but if you honestly think you're not allowed to sell it, please ask a manager (it's not YOU that wants to "speak to your manager", it's them that should ask the manager)
    • if even the manager says "no", honestly it's kind of a dead end. Try another SC.
  • Don't:
    • expect them to do it for you
    • expect ANY help with installing it
    • ask if you can return it if it doesn't work (that's what eBay is for - you can always sell it and there will be a hundred thirsty buyers in a day)
    • hold them up with half an hour of conversation if they seem to be anything related to busy :)
    • be so damn skiddish or over-protective/secretive that you make them think you're trying for industrial espionage or something. like, bro you're not a friggin spy, you don't have to act like you're protecting secrets or stealing something. it's a 100% legit transaction, just an unusual one.
  • This is where kindness and saving-them-some-hassle comes into play. Their workflow is: look you up -> look up the part -> find it in stock -> retrieve it -> pay for it -> :D have a nice day :D
  • if they're curious, go into detail about the CCS thing. It's the Gen4 charge port controller for the newer car, but there are only minor differences that can be used on old cars with a simple wiring adapter. Gen4 has CCS compatibility, but only on the -00- part, not the -80- part. I'll install it, and not be able to charge until I get an update. (hey, they could push a reflash to your car with 2 or 3 clicks from the page they're on - "is it quick to push a reflash request now?" wouldn't be a bad thing to ask). You can install/accept the reflash (update) at your own leisure, but it saves you a trip to service mode.
I visited my friendly neighborhood SC again today and they had precisely ONE -00- in stock, not associated with a car already. It was my lucky day, as I have a friend that's taking a long road trip out here to get the personal touch installation - and hadn't been able to acquire an ECU yet. Of course, the guys recognized me from my many previous visits, lol... and happy to know it's going well. So, hey, rub their back, they'll rub yours - at least if they're sure you won't become a Karen or Ken to them if it doesn't work out. :)

I wish I could mark "love" on this post multiple times... especially the "how to communicate with the customer service people" part.

Like updating the photo of service mode? :D

Seriously, this is great information. Well done F4!

BTW, how are you able to update the first post since it's not a wiki? Do you have special powers here? :cool:
Heh... seems you can always update the first post in a thread, just not anything else after a timer. I really like that feature, as forum threads can get really nasty over time and hard for newcomers to digest.

And hey, my service screen still looks the same ;) The curse of FSD beta, and lack of feature parity... FSD folks are kinda stuck on it 'til they decide to roll out whatever next new version of FSD tickles Elon properly. I could always get out of it, but... eh. I bought FSD to participate in its progress, so I stay! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.