Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh - and, timely update for the 15 people waiting on the edge of their seats as to when their magical Bundles will ship:

Next batch will still be hand-built 😪 But now using the new wire length plans intended for machine-production (which is also ongoing). So, about double the overall length, a bit easier to fiddle together -- but no longer needing to be fiddled together.

The parts seem to have taken a slow boat to my door. They should be here tomorrow. Lots of other chaos going on in my life at the moment (a big move by end of month, in particular), but hopefully I can start knocking out builds, maybe 3-a-day, for the following few days. Ought to make a few folks happy, hoping to get them done sooner than later!

I'm just wondering if anyone in Canada has ordered the CCS adapter from Harumio

How bad were the FedEx or DHL add on charges?
Brokerage, duty and taxes

Yes--sorry, not me. But I remember reading about this. Do some searching for "customs" + "ccs1" or similar words.

No, someone in Toronto? or Montreal? commented some time ago. I think? it was like $75(CA, I assume), but do NOT hold me to that figure.

Ah, ha! My long-term memory isn't totally shot. Here is that reference post.

So I was close--Quebec (not Montreal, not Toronto) and ~$70 (not $75).

Oh - and, timely update for the 15 people waiting on the edge of their seats as to when their magical Bundles will ship:

Next batch will still be hand-built 😪 But now using the new wire length plans intended for machine-production (which is also ongoing). So, about double the overall length, a bit easier to fiddle together -- but no longer needing to be fiddled together.

The parts seem to have taken a slow boat to my door. They should be here tomorrow. Lots of other chaos going on in my life at the moment (a big move by end of month, in particular), but hopefully I can start knocking out builds, maybe 3-a-day, for the following few days. Ought to make a few folks happy, hoping to get them done sooner than later!
So you cancelled my order, but immediately started accepting new orders at a higher price? Classy.

I went and ordered the parts myself. I'll have two adapters for half of what you're charging...... and then sell the second one and come out ahead.

Much appreciated!

AC charging works as expected. Supercharging worked as expected, EA (after a method of payment issue) worked as expected, as well as a random ChargePoint CCS! Everything works as expected. This will be great for road trips when SuC lines are long or EAs are faster (180-190 kW + no sharing)!!
5863B3EA-16A0-404B-8049-9FB242143FC4.jpeg

So you cancelled my order, but immediately started accepting new orders at a higher price? Classy.

I went and ordered the parts myself. I'll have two adapters for half of what you're charging...... and then sell the second one and come out ahead.
(emphasis mine)

Wonderful, thank you for contributing - especially as I have said, multiple times, that I want to see other people offering these, not just me.

Writing this and looking for my past references, I found it was pretty hard to find... but here! Open invitation! Please, people... I don't want to be the only one building these. If you think you have the skills to build a reliable adapter, I openly invite you to rip me off. I actively encourage it.

(can't edit-in a quote, but here: Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach)

Take what you've learned from these early posts (about up to page 10 - then the design has been "frozen" since then and copied ad infinitum), and build, build, build. Sell if you like. Marketplace, eBay, hell... Twitter! Go crazy. Get this out there. Please! But just do it right. No sloppy crimp jobs. Look at the wires in my Bundle - should have insulation in the back part of the crimp; wire in the front. Be careful. Do it right or don't do it. Double-check everything.

But yeah - this was always meant to be more open than it has shaped up to be, as evidenced above. It's getting painful - I would love some capable help!

BTW, here is the spec of the wire lengths I'm using on new builds (longer for machine-crimping compatibility - plus it's nicer to work with anyway):
[------6 inches------]
[------6 inches------]
[------6 inches------] <-- Blue
[------6 inches------]
[------6 inches------]

[-2.75-][res~][-2.75-] <-- Yellow
[-2.75-][res~][-2.75-]

[--3.5"--[&]---3.5"--]
_________[&]---3.5"--] <-- Green bundle
_________[&]---3.5"--]
[2.75"][res&]
_________[&res][2.75"]

(treat the ____'s above as blank space - couldn't get forum to take space padding)

5 pcs: blue wire, with pin on one side and socket on the other, 6" wire (prior to crimping) length
2 pcs: Yellow wire, pin on one side, 0.125" stripped on other, 2.75" length
2 pcs: Yellow wire, socket on one side, 0.125" stripped on other, 2.75" length
1 pc: White wire, pin on one side, 0.125" stripped on other, 2.75" length
1 pc: Red wire, socket on one side, 0.125" stripped on other, 2.75" length
3 pc: Green wire, pin on one side, 0.25" stripped on other, 3.5" length
1 pc: Green wire, socket on one side, 0.25" stripped on other, 3.5" length

Last edited:
So, I've got the proper ECU waiting in my closet, and I ordered a CCS adapter from Harum.io a couple days ago.

I have a 2019 Model 3 Long Range, and I am ready to order the "bundle of wires" and wait for a software update.
Has anyone with the mod, including the ECU adapter harness, had any experience with V3 supercharging during these hot months? I have been wondering if the resistors in the harness would mess with the temps during summer 250kw supercharging.

I simply had to swap my 80-B ECU for a 00-B ECU in order to get CCS charging but I wanted to mention that I think it is pretty awesome what @FalconFour has done here for the GEN3 folks. Bravo sir! I admittedly don't understand all the ins and out of how he got it to work with the "bundle of wires" he created, but nonetheless what how cool is that hack??? So interested to see what Tesla proposes for their OFFICIAL GEN3 to GEN4 upgrade. A *TESLA* bundle of wires and a 00-B ECU perhaps? :)

I simply had to swap my 80-B ECU for a 00-B ECU in order to get CCS charging but I wanted to mention that I think it is pretty awesome what @FalconFour has done here for the GEN3 folks. Bravo sir! I admittedly don't understand all the ins and out of how he got it to work with the "bundle of wires" he created, but nonetheless what how cool is that hack??? So interested to see what Tesla proposes for their OFFICIAL GEN3 to GEN4 upgrade. A *TESLA* bundle of wires and a 00-B ECU perhaps? :)
The easiest way is for them to provide a new Gen3 ECU SKU with CCS PLC on-board. Basically like the EU Gen3 ECU, but matching the NA charge port and sensors. Don't mess with the harness, just make the ECU match the Gen3 cars.

Reactions: android04

Agreed. I have very much enjoyed the ongoing story on TMC; so much that I want to “join the club” by ordering a 00-B ECU and that great “bundle of wires” from @FalconFour. What’s stopping me? How about having a car that doesn’t need the retrofit! Yet I still want to buy them?!
  1. It’s a problem.
  2. I’m working on it. 🙂

Last edited:
@rcoleblack ~ I'd definitely suggest listing it on eBay and offer international shipment through eBay's International Standard Delivery (different from GSP), though! I get people bugging me regularly, from overseas, unable to get Tesla to give them the time-of-day on these things. It's very valuable to people outside range of a service center. It's worth putting a marginally higher price on, as to avoid people just lazily choosing yours over a Tesla SC, but making it available to those with no other option.

Reactions: wlee and MP3Mike
@FalconFour I went to try out CCS for the first time at my local 200 kW CCS station, and it all went well in the beginning, hitting about 127 kW (120 kW in car) @ 27% SoC, but within 2-3 minutes it went down to 33 kW (24 kW in car). I didn't try another stall since this was really just a functional test, but could it be possible it was hitting a throttling condition? Or something wrong with the station?

I plan on testing the other stalls sometime before Sunday, but just want to see your thoughts on it

Reactions: wlee
but could it be possible it was hitting a throttling condition? Or something wrong with the station?
I'd suggest, if you see unexpected throttling that comes down smoothly from a higher power, stop it and feel the plug(s). In my experience, when a plug gets hot, it slows - it doesn't stop completely. Approximately the same scale of "mm? that's not warm?" to "Ow, that's burning hot!" is the scale the car understands as well. :)

Very-much could be a station issue, too - not uncommon. One of my first tests was at an EA station that kept oscillating between ~60kW and ~120kW, back and forth, repeatedly, while there were really no cars around me to be potentially sharing anything. Seems the station just wasn't ... quite... feeling good that day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Guacahummus
Hey guys. So I've finally got everything yesterday and connected. Did the software update and it shows that my ccs adapter is enabled. But the problem is that i get an error saying charge port requires service. It thinks that my charge cable isnt unplugged and charging may be unavailable. I tried charging at home and it charged just fine. Also I wento to EA station to see if its gonna ss. It only charges 30kw max. Could it be faulty charge port? Also i went to the SS and tried to reinstall the update. No difference. Not really sure what should I do. Thanks for your help. All pics below

Attachments

• 20220519_084108.jpg
    20220519_084108.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.