Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting the service manual instructions--but the whole "software reinstall" being hidden behind a log in (that I can't access) is the tough part. IF there is no software update out yet for the car before I need to leave for my roadtrip (I'm trying to replace my own ECU with another 80 so that I can restore home charging asap) -- do I have to drive to an SC or be near an SC in order to put car in service mode. Is there a command to force the system to reinstall the existing software?
A service tech told me you can pretty much request a software push thru the app. Idk about reinstalls tho

Thank you for posting the service manual instructions--but the whole "software reinstall" being hidden behind a log in (that I can't access) is the tough part. IF there is no software update out yet for the car before I need to leave for my roadtrip (I'm trying to replace my own ECU with another 80 so that I can restore home charging asap) -- do I have to drive to an SC or be near an SC in order to put car in service mode. Is there a command to force the system to reinstall the existing software?
Either drive to the SC or I have read some people having luck with a service request through the app. Send photos of the errors and request the current firmware for you car to be pushed out again.

Not a guaranteed fix the way putting the car in service mode before performing the upgrade is. Although as long as you have enough charge to get to the SvC you could TRY it and see, if they don't get back to you and you need to go somewhere, just hit up the SvC on your way... (be sure to have something to do while the software installs, I complained to the Service Manager about my last repair, took the entire install time).

We have an oct 21 built model y. Came without ccs enabled. Called the glendale, az service center this morning. They had the updated board in stock. I picked it up for $140 and installed myself tonight. Interestingly, my invoice indicated a $55.50 amount for labor, which was struck. Seems like a reasonable price to pay to have this done for anyone looking to have service just do the install. I'm happy to report another ccs enabled car!

Note, after the hardware install, I received an error message. Once I installed the pending software update I already had to do, ccs showed as enabled in my settings.
I've tried 3 times to order the part in the APP since this thread started -- declined every single time. Just saw your post this afternoon on 6/1/22 about the Glendale Service Center, called them up, and picked it up within 1/2 an hour. I have an Aug '21 Y. Worst part is now I have to wait for a pending software update. :( Either that or rip apart the car in the service center parking lot, and assume the car will pickup their wifi (didn't check) or if I need to create a hotspot and force that way.

How hard is it to rip into the trunk to get to this?

I've tried 3 times to order the part in the APP since this thread started -- declined every single time. Just saw your post this afternoon on 6/1/22 about the Glendale Service Center, called them up, and picked it up within 1/2 an hour. I have an Aug '21 Y. Worst part is now I have to wait for a pending software update. :( Either that or rip apart the car in the service center parking lot, and assume the car will pickup their wifi (didn't check) or if I need to create a hotspot and force that way.

It took me less than an hour, start to finish.

rip apart the car in the service center parking lot, and assume the car will pickup their wifi (didn't check) or if I need to create a hotspot and force that way.
You don't need to rip anything apart in the service center parking lot. Once the car is in service mode, it will stay that way even if you leave the service center. Then you can go home, take apart the car and swap out the ECU, then trigger a reinstall, no rush.

Not hard. Takes about 20 mins to get to the part. You have to remove several fasteners and pieces of trim in the trunk, and also the weather seal. About 25 to 30 mins to put back together. Some people related they had difficulty disconnecting the harnesses from the ECU, I didn't find mine too terrible. One of them has a little bastard recessed tab, that you might need a screwdriver to depress.
You don't need to rip anything apart in the service center parking lot. Once the car is in service mode, it will stay that way even if you leave the service center. Then you can go home, take apart the car and swap out the ECU, then trigger a reinstall, no rush.

Don't forget that if you're driving home in service mode, the radio might not work (mine didn't), and you have to override speed controls, so you can go faster than 7mph (seven).

Don't exit service mode until you've done "software reinstall" (also the icon that shows you have an update waiting is in a different spot of the screen and is TINY.
20220528_120655.jpg

Attachments

• 20220528_115511.jpg
    20220528_115511.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220528_115810.jpg
    20220528_115810.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: abraha2d
Dont forget that if you're driving home in service mode, the radio won't work (mine didn't), and you have to override speed controls, so you can go faster than 7mph (seven).
About the radio not working (maybe this is only applicable to cars with the premium interior), there's an option all the way at the bottom called "premium amp power off" or something like that. Make sure that's not checked.

About the radio not working (maybe this is only applicable to cars with the premium interior), there's an option all the way at the bottom called "premium amp power off" or something like that. Make sure that's not checked.
I tried un checking that box, and still had nothin...

Didn't bother too much, only had 20 mins to drive home. Really reminds you how loud the road is on the poorly paved sections of I-5, and then you get onto the freshly replaced sections and near silence...

• Funny
Reactions: abraha2d
I will do that as well, they finally opened a new one that is slightly closer to me (30 minutes away instead of an hour). I am not going to drive home in service mode, however. I will just try to do the installation in their parking lot so that I can actually access service mode.

Reactions: israndy
A service tech told me you can pretty much request a software push thru the app. Idk about reinstalls tho
Same idea. You can't request a newer version/an update, but you can request a reinstall of the current version. They don't have control over what version you get, but a flash is a flash.

So yeah, in a pinch, without service, you can request a reinstall via service appointment/service contact, and that'll pop up the "orange clock" to tap at your convenience (e.g. after swapping the ECUs).

• Helpful
Reactions: Guacahummus
okay..ebay part arrived. Torn between waiting for another software update or just driving up to the service center's parking lot this weekend and doing the install there so i can force a reflash. The part was a used 80-B from a totaled 2021 tesla that only had body damage. Like i said, I realize this isn't the upgrade but until that part comes in (if it ever does..) i'm essentially stuck with zero slow charging.

Thanks everyone for your help! There was a collision center a few miles from my house, drove past it on my way home today, pulled in their lot and put it into service mode and drove home. Just swapped the controller now. I had it reflashing as I was reassembling the car. By the time it was done, I was done. The longest part of this was driving to the Service Center and picking up and part and driving home. Just a bunch of careful yanking and snapping back together.

Now I just have to wait for a DHL tracking # for my CCS adapter from Haurmio. One day shy of a week.

Hopefully none of you have done this. Since fast-charging cables always seem a few inches too short (why can't they be just one foot longer?), I broke one of my Tesla charging port spacer pins today. Hopefully Tesla can fix this without replacing the whole charging port. (Or, I may just use super glue, since my car still charges with the plastic spacer pushed back in but will pull out every time I pull the charging cable/adapter out.)

Today, I parked like I usually do for a charging station that I've used many times, both with the Tesla (CHAdeMO) and my Bolt (CCS). The CCS cable was long enough but tugged just a bit. Not thinking about it, I tried using the Tesla CCS adapter for the first time. Some instruction manual should be published to tell you to plug in the cable to the adapter BEFORE plugging into the Telsa. I tried plugging the CCS adapter into the Tesla first and thought I did it incorrectly, since it was still sticking out quite a bit. I also wasn't sure what the long, spring-loaded metal pin was for. While trying to plug in the charging cable _after_ I attached the CCS adapter to the Tesla, because it was wiggling a lot, somehow the plastic spacer snapped (a distinct plastic cracking sound). After my failed attempt, I pulled the Tesla forward a few inches, and then re-tried by fully connecting/clicking the charging cable to the CCS adapter, and then I plugged it into my Tesla.

(With the CHAdeMO adapter, I always plug the adapter into the Tesla and then connect the charging cable. It seems to provide a better "handshake" with the charging station.)

IMG_8263.JPG.jpg

Reactions: sTv0
Status
Not open for further replies.