Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may not work anymore. Tesla is refusing to sell me a Gen 4 ECU, without install. It’s dangerous, voids my warranty, etc. Its apparently flagged on the system now to not be sold directly to customers.

So much for right to repair.

I just checked the Electrify America app for the stations I was at yesterday. All 4 stations at that location are rated "up to 150kW," so the Ionic was getting a really good ~140kW out of 150kW while starting out. I thought the Ionic's overall charging curve was quite impressive, especially above 80% SoC, sustaining over 100kW even at that point.
Ok, I figured it out. Since the Ioniq 5 is a 800V battery, on a 400V CCS charger it uses the motors inverter as a DC/DC converter to get to 800V. BUT, since there's a DC/DC converter, they can ask the charger for 400V, no matter what the battery charge level is. Which means it's going to charge faster than a native 400V battery system on a CCS charger. Pretty neat!

This may not work anymore. Tesla is refusing to sell me a Gen 4 ECU, without install. It’s dangerous, voids my warranty, etc. Its apparently flagged on the system now to not be sold directly to customers.

That's just what your service center is saying. epc.tesla.com still lists the Gen4 ECU as Over-the-Counter(No VIN)

🤔 Your SC may be full of crap.

First off, they can't say it "voids your warranty". It's still pretty shocking how many people aren't aware that a blanket warranty can't be voided by changes to one system. They can say that your modification voids the warranty on the charge port, but they can't say the change voids the whole car's warranty (e.g. drive unit or, likely, the battery). So, that's laughably "reaching" of this SC rep to be guessing on.

1654532284951.png

Second, a quick dive into Parts Catalog (anyone can use this!) reveals that, as usual, the ECU is still a routine over-the-counter part. So, best I can see, nothing has changed - you just may have found a rep in a bad mood, or that someone in that local team made-up something.

@owlowlowlowl I installed teslafi the day after I took delivery, (took delivery at 4mi, and started data logging at mile 26).

It's possible to figure it out (degradation) using scan my tesla (looking at "full pack when new" vs "nominal full pack") and also on Teslafi though the way it maps it, is more based on range than battery capacity.

As far as I can tell my max voltage is still the same 403v though my max reported capacity is only 66 vs 77 when new.

(I get this data from ScanMyTesla which is reading the canbus data)

Thank you, I didn't even think of OBD adapters, and a quick Google search opens up a new area for me to explore. I'll check out ScanMyTesla.

I've manually tracked my mileage/wattage for all of my long drives since day 1 in Excel, and Stats has some interesting data. I unfortunately didn't use TeslaFi since day 1. My LR RWD battery used to give me around 320-325 in year 1 after Tesla released some more battery access via a software update. Right now, I'm at about 290-295 with 34,000mi on the odometer, which seems to be around -10% or so. I'll give one of these OBD tools a try.

Thank you, I didn't even think of OBD adapters, and a quick Google search opens up a new area for me to explore. I'll check out ScanMyTesla.

This is where I got my CANBUS-OBD dongle from, and bought an OBD link MX+, I usually only watch the SMT when charging or road tripping because it shows the exact capacity of the battery remaining, instead of the guess-I-meter mileage/percentage.

This is where I got my CANBUS-OBD dongle from, and bought an OBD link MX+, I usually only watch the SMT when charging or road tripping because it shows the exact capacity of the battery remaining, instead of the guess-I-meter mileage/percentage.

(sorry, off topic from the original thread - happy to continue via PM if others find this information to not be useful)

Thank you. I also found a helpful YouTube video to show me the location of the harness connection and the instructions to power off the Tesla first.

I just found a great eBay deal on a used version of the 2018 Model 3 OBD dongle that comes with the OBDLink LX adapter!

Have you found a good website or data resource that shows how your/our battery degradation means and averages? I read online blogs from Teslarati and other online sites of "2-3%" degradation over 50k or 100k miles, so I've been a bit disappointed that I may only have a 65-68kWh capacity left, though I do admit that most of my charging has been done with Supercharger or CHAdeMO fast charging, rather than L2 or L1 charging. However, after my first year of ownership, I was quite good about keeping my car between 20-80% when not regularly driving, though I wonder if my regular driving of 400-500 miles (95-100% down to 15-20% twice a weekend) every other weekend for 3 years caused some of the quicker degradation.

I was able to submit a service request yesterday morning via the app, and pick up the ECU on the same day!

I live in San Francisco, so I chose the soonest service date at a nearby service center (Berkeley) to get the ball rolling, and requested the Gen 4 ECU part number. A service rep called me within 30 minutes, asking if I wanted them to install the part or if I would install it myself, and I told him I would install it. He said Berkeley would be getting the part in stock on 6/14, and I asked him if I could pick up at the SF service center instead. He said the SF service center already had the part in stock! So he transferred my appointment to the SF service center, and said the part would be reserved for me there and that I could pick up anytime. I messaged them through the app to make sure they had the part, and they confirmed, so I drove over to pick it up. Success! Now I just have to wait for my bundle of wires and my adapter before I install.

Reactions: FalconFour and wlee
I was able to submit a service request yesterday morning via the app, and pick up the ECU on the same day!

I live in San Francisco, so I chose the soonest service date at a nearby service center (Berkeley) to get the ball rolling, and requested the Gen 4 ECU part number. A service rep called me within 30 minutes, asking if I wanted them to install the part or if I would install it myself, and I told him I would install it. He said Berkeley would be getting the part in stock on 6/14, and I asked him if I could pick up at the SF service center instead. He said the SF service center already had the part in stock! So he transferred my appointment to the SF service center, and said the part would be reserved for me there and that I could pick up anytime. I messaged them through the app to make sure they had the part, and they confirmed, so I drove over to pick it up. Success! Now I just have to wait for my bundle of wires and my adapter before I install.

Man that's awesome. I wish I could have that luck. Still can't even get a reply about the part from anyone. I tried the service request via the app also, and have yet to be contacted about it.

Man that's awesome. I wish I could have that luck. Still can't even get a reply about the part from anyone. I tried the service request via the app also, and have yet to be contacted about it.
It's quite likely that when you set up a service request in the app, the act of picking a date/time/place also routes your request to that SC.

In other words, that SC sucks. Maybe try a different location to find different SCs, which will possibly be able to ship it? Someone was mentioning an SC that'll ship a part, a few pages back... so if you pick that as your location, they'll get the ticket and can reply to it...

Reactions: wlee and israndy
It's quite likely that when you set up a service request in the app, the act of picking a date/time/place also routes your request to that SC.

In other words, that SC sucks. Maybe try a different location to find different SCs, which will possibly be able to ship it? Someone was mentioning an SC that'll ship a part, a few pages back... so if you pick that as your location, they'll get the ticket and can reply to it...

Well I think the key right now is finding a SC that has one in stock. Because they ARE on backorder with no ETA date.

Reactions: israndy
While at Alpharetta, GA SC for unrelated parts, I asked about GEN 4 ecu availability.
I had previously bought one from them & one at Kennesaw, GA SC for my M3s.
They had 13(!) in stock so I bought one for
anyone who wants it at cost plus paypal fee & shipping. Counter guy is aware of recent "demand" and will sell them otc but will not ship.
Message me if interested.

Attachments

• gen4ecu.jpg
    gen4ecu.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 67
While at Alpharetta, GA SC for unrelated parts, I asked about GEN 4 ecu availability.
anyone who wants it at cost plus paypal fee & shipping. Counter guy is aware of recent "demand" and will sell them otc but will not ship.

I PMed you!

So excited! My adapter from Harumio just showed up and I wanted to test, but Electrify America is busy at the moment. I'll test tonight once EA station clears up. Took 1 day to arrive at my door from Korea. Shipped Tuesday, and in my hands right now. Considering this bounced to OH to go thru customs and back to west coast, I am *STUNNED*! .

Reactions: wlee
So excited! My adapter from Harumio just showed up and I wanted to test, but Electrify America is busy at the moment. I'll test tonight once EA station clears up. Took 1 day to arrive at my door from Korea. Shipped Tuesday, and in my hands right now. Considering this bounced to OH to go thru customs and back to west coast, I am *STUNNED*! .
Not to rain on your parade but it's possible that the "Tuesday" it was shipped was when it was still in South Korea. They're a day ahead of us so that would make it Monday here.

Thanks. If anyone else needs one, I can run by and grab one for you.

What is the cost of the parts and the labor? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.