Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am about 2 hrs from nearest service center. I wouldn't have any way to get the car into service mode at home or at a local supercharger.
Also as mentioned up thread there may be Tesla Body Shops (Tesla.com/FindUs) that are closer to you than a Tesla Service Center.

So if you are on FSD and don't wanna wait 2 months for the next FSD update, you can, as mentioned above, request a re-install with a service request via the app and you'll get the orange install icon in the titlebar of the display when the request goes thru. Then just put the new ECU in and run that software install.

I’ve been surprised at just how much cheaper Electrify America has been over supercharging in my area. I’m jn TN and GA so we’re billed by the minute. I actually signed up for the EA pass to get their lower rate and I’m paying about 1/4 the costs at EA vs supercharging just about every where I go in TN and GA.

I noticed this as well, All the EA rates are the same as the Supercharger rate ($0.41 in Ohio) and if you subscribe to the Pass+ the rates are $0.31. I stopped up in Ann Arbor, MI and all 8 stalls were full and there was a wait, I drove a couple miles to the EA Charger and there was No wait and I paid 25% less than at the SC.

Yip, but I do wonder how long it will last, I think EA is still in the losing money phase, they haven't figured out how much they need to charge to cover their expenses. Wonder if they'll do another July 4th week free charging like they did last year. I took advantage of the Thanksgiving and Xmas free charging last year and it was impressive, even though at the time I could only charge at 50kW, now that I have CCS I don't spend as much time stuck charging, made it thru a whole TV series on Netflix over the holidays just in time spent charging.

I am leaving on a 8 day road trip on Thursday starting Toledo, OH - Harrisburg, PA - Bowie, MD - Richmond, VA - Williamsburg, VA - Charlotte, - Pigeon Forge, and ending back in Toledo, OH and it looks like there are a quite a few of the EA 350kW chargers so I will try and see if I can do the trip with EA and Destination charging only but have all the SC's there if needed.

Should be fun to test the theory of possibility of a long road trip without using SC's.

How was compatibility across all those CCS stations?
Car worked perfectly with every CCS station I tried. At one charger, I did get a "Proximity error", but disconnecting and re-connecting solved it.

Highlights: Tritium 75kW chargers provide 75kW for the entire charge session (until it starts ramping down at high SOC). Very odd for a CCS charger, but nice to find.

A lot of CCS chargers are limited to 200 amps by the charge cable assembly they use - it's tougher to get the higher amperage CCS cables.

Some chargers blow. One ABB charger claimed to be 180kw, but was closer to 50kw even with battery preconditioning.

Went on a little road trip. Thanks to the CCS adapter I was able to get 490 kWh of FREE charging AND try out a ton of different CCS chargers.
At $.48/kWh, that's like $235 in free charging. Like, I almost paid for the adapter in one trip.
Yeah, my biggest surprises with my first purchase with an EV (Bolt) was there was sooooo many free chargers (level 2). I found so many free and convenient chargers that out of my 40k miles I would say I only paid 5% of those at my house or on commercial level 2/3 chargers. With my Tesla I would say it's similar for about 5/95 paid/free and this is almost 8k miles. To top it off, Chevy deemed my Bolt a lemon and I swapped it out with a brand new Tesla AWD. This was effectively $35k after all was said and done on a 49.9k MSRP (at the time). And now we have $5 a gallon. It's just insane how much cheaper it is to own an EV especially if you have free or low energy prices in your state. Massachusetts is very high, sadly, well, unless you find the free ones :)

Reactions: FalconFour
Car worked perfectly with every CCS station I tried. At one charger, I did get a "Proximity error", but disconnecting and re-connecting solved it.

Highlights: Tritium 75kW chargers provide 75kW for the entire charge session (until it starts ramping down at high SOC). Very odd for a CCS charger, but nice to find.

A lot of CCS chargers are limited to 200 amps by the charge cable assembly they use - it's tougher to get the higher amperage CCS cables.

Some chargers blow. One ABB charger claimed to be 180kw, but was closer to 50kw even with battery preconditioning.

Yeah you are always gonna find some turds... I tested a 150kW EA Charger yesterday that would only muster 34kW (starting SOC 18%) but I think the whole station was having issues because of the 6 stalls (2x350kW and 4x150kW) only 3 were working (1x350kW, 2x150kW) and the others all said Unavailable and one would not initiate a handshake with a Mach-E or a Prius while I was there for 10 mins.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Also as mentioned up thread there may be Tesla Body Shops (Tesla.com/FindUs) that are closer to you than a Tesla Service Center.

So if you are on FSD and don't wanna wait 2 months for the next FSD update, you can, as mentioned above, request a re-install with a service request via the app and you'll get the orange install icon in the titlebar of the display when the request goes thru. Then just put the new ECU in and run that software install.

Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately there aren't any registered body shops in my area either; the closest option is about 2 hrs away. Even still, that drive wouldn't be unreasonable. Could I drive to that location, put the car into service mode myself and drive it back home (still in service mode) before completing the ECU install? Then exiting service mode, from home, after reinstall of the software has completed, loaded the necessary drivers and clearing any errors.

Could I drive to that location, put the car into service mode myself and drive it back home (still in service mode) before completing the ECU install?
I believe the answer to that question is "yes". You will also have to disable the speed limiter unless you want to crawl home at something less than your normal driving style.

I believe the answer to that question is "yes". You will also have to disable the speed limiter unless you want to crawl home at something less than your normal driving style.

The easier and safer method is to drive to the service center, go into service mode while connected to Tesla WiFi, force a s/w download, wait 30 seconds, exit service mode, wait for the orange clock to inform that you have a s/w update downloaded and ready. Drive home, power car down, swap ECU, power car back up, install the downloaded update, and your done.

And I know the process works as that's the exact process I used when I did my retrofit.

Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately there aren't any registered body shops in my area either; the closest option is about 2 hrs away. Even still, that drive wouldn't be unreasonable. Could I drive to that location, put the car into service mode myself and drive it back home (still in service mode) before completing the ECU install? Then exiting service mode, from home, after reinstall of the software has completed, loaded the necessary drivers and clearing any errors.

You can drive home in service mode, as long as you remove the speed limiter.

The easier and safer method is to drive to the service center, go into service mode while connected to Tesla WiFi, force a s/w download, wait 30 seconds, exit service mode, wait for the orange clock to inform that you have a s/w update downloaded and ready. Drive home, power car down, swap ECU, power car back up, install the downloaded update, and your done.

And I know the process works as that's the exact process I used when I did my retrofit.

Anecdotally, it sounds like it's harder to find a gen4 ECU now (some service centers are making it difficult), than it has been in previous months.

Thanks very much @jhartbarger. This is exactly what I was hoping for (except perhaps having to make the 4 hour round-trip drive). Appreciate this info. I've already had the ECU hardware. Either I'll do this or wait until FSD 10.13, whichever happens first.

Reactions: jhartbarger
Anecdotally, it sounds like it's harder to find a gen4 ECU now (some service centers are making it difficult), than it has been in previous months.

I have heard that as well, I have been lucky anytime I need parts I simply open a service request in the app under "Something Else" and just put in the notes to "Please order 1x part#" and schedule the appt for 10 days out. The SC will reply with a invoice to approve and if part isn't gonna be there for the appt they send me a msg and bump my appt out to the parts ETA.

I am glad my service center was NOT a 4 hr. trip as that would be scary. I replaced my ECU and THEN went to the SC to do the software half. Fortunately in the Bay Area I have about 50 service centers in range of a full charge, but with the swapped ECU you cannot charge until you do the software install. That could get messy if something doesn't work.

I like J's method but if it's that far to a SC it might be better to open a ticket in the app and request a re-install, you get all the benefit of J's method above, just an orange clock at the top of the display until you get around to the ECU swap.

Reactions: jhartbarger
Status
Not open for further replies.