Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been some weird info floating around various sources lately... but as of now, the status still seems to be the same: the way to retrofit a Gen3 car with a Gen4 ECU (and get CCS in the process) is to make your Gen3 port look like a Gen4 port.

There's no config change that would change this (the necessary pins are literally missing on the 1537264-00-B ECU to make the Gen3 port work properly by just plugging it in). There may be a service procedure for Tesla to install "a retrofit ECU", but that part still doesn't exist: the documentation exists before the ECU exists. If you ask Tesla to do it today, you'll still get the usual response: "CCS isn't supported yet, go away".

The eventual fix from Tesla will be to just replace the ECU -- but the part number (which we still don't know -- there has been a P/N for a retrofit kit, but not the ECU contained within) will be different.

So, "the bundle hacks will stop when the retrofit ECU is released" is still the current game ;)

I investigated the error codes in service mode, and the only two Service-Fix errors are for low coolant in the powertrain (ongoing, I guess I should get this looked at) and thermalVelocityHigh (happens during CCS charging and any charging immediately after that, then goes away). See attached image.

Note: I have a very early 2017 Model 3 (VIN in the low 700s).

I had a whole bunch (dozens?) of the same low coolant warnings in service mode, but no warnings ever came up on the user-facing console. Tesla (supposedly) did a whole bunch of tests, including a pressure test and visual inspections, and they found nothing wrong. I was low by about a quart of coolant (2018 RWD LR - 35k miles). Tesla was nice the whole time, but no one could give me any answer as to what might have "used" up 1 quart of coolant. Tesla invoiced me $255 for the inspection, testing, and top-up.

I'll top up myself next time. Apparently all of the extra Audi/BMW blue coolant I have in my garage is of the same "G48" coolant.

Burlingame, CA took care of my car for this job.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Well, all I'm missing is 1537264-00-B and I'm 0/3 of service centers which will sell me the part. One of them actually stating that, "It's a sensitive part and we can't just sell it directly to you." when talking with the SC's parts manager.

Well, all I'm missing is 1537264-00-B and I'm 0/3 of service centers which will sell me the part. One of them actually stating that, "It's a sensitive part and we can't just sell it directly to you." when talking with the SC's parts manager.

I printed off the part list from the Tesla site and circled the part number I needed when I walked in to my SC and had no issues. On the parts list it says they can sell it over the counter with no VIN. Sensitive parts are marked Tesla Only otherwise.

Reactions: Kermee
From reports here, it appears that the -00-B ECU is being withheld by some service centers as that part is in short supply. Tesla is probably earmarking those ECUs for cars being held up for delivery. That would account for the "sensitive" nature.

edit: I just checked eBay for 1537264-00-B and there's none currently listed but recent sales (after April 2022) have gone for $225 and more. Back in April, and I'm pretty sure for several months prior, one eBay seller was listing them for $90. He must have noticed the demand and upped the asking price to over $200.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kermee
Well, finally went to a 4th SC and they didn't ask any questions and sold it to me. $140 + tax (then 10% CB on my CC). Now... To wait for the next FSD beta firmware update!

IMG20220707153027~3.jpg

Hunting down the ECU felt like a treasure hunt. 😂

Sources tell me that entering Service Mode no longer requires being next to a service center as of around 2022.16.x firmware... Have confirmed this myself on 2022.16.1.2. There's a fancy new warning, so I assume this is done on-purpose by Tesla and not some loophole.
Wish this same "feature" existed in current FSD Beta 10.12.2. Am having to wait until the next FSD Beta firmware update to 10.13 (no ETA) before I install CCS support.

Reactions: FalconFour
Wish this same "feature" existed in current FSD Beta 10.12.2. Am having to wait until the next FSD Beta firmware update to 10.13 (no ETA) before I install CCS support.
I tried it a week or so ago in my 2019 Model 3 running 2022.12.3.20 with FSD beta, and it did not work except near a Tesla service center.

It is possible to enter dyno-test mode away from a service center, and one YouTube video showed a bunch of options when doing so, including one to enter service mode, but that didn't work for me; I could enter dyno-test mode but saw no obvious new options. Maybe that's another detail that's different from one software version to another....

Unfortunately. I too am currently stuck waiting for next firmware update as my nearest TSC is 2 hours away. If I had a reason to make the drive, I'd do some shopping, put the car in service mode and drive home -- if that's possible,
I've not done it, but it is supposed to be possible, with at least one caveat: By default, service mode limits the car's speed to (IIRC) 7 mph. There's an option in the service mode menu to lift that limit, though. Be sure to do so before driving off!

Just here to say that I successfully used the wiring adapter from 2muchsun and a Gen4 ECU which I got from the Santa Clara, CA service center (after scheduling a service appointment for "other" and requesting to purchase the part number) to upgrade my 2018 Model 3 Performance to support CCS charging.

Thank you @FalconFour for all the effort in researching, experimenting, and supporting the community on this. Highly appreciated!

Just did this retrofit this morning for my August 2021 build Model Y after getting my part in . I wasn't planning on installing till the next update which I figure was coming soon, but once I got home, an update was waiting. I signed up for the free annual service manual at Tesla Service and searched for ECU - CHARGE PORT and removed a few trim pieces and lowered down the seat. It was actually easier then I thought. Had plenty of room to work with if you take the time to remove the trim pieces and you're able to pull it back further. I think total time was 30 minutes with reassembly. I installed the update and now CCS ADAPTER ENABLED!

View attachment 819626View attachment 819627

Quick question did you need the wire bundle and ECU or just the ECU. I have a 2021 Y September delivery.

🤣🤣🤣 Sorry! Friday, weekday, workday... my Thursday mind thought Friday would be me-day. Nah. But I did talk about the Bundle on our fun little social "what're your weekend plans?" Friday call at work ;)

So, the new Bundle was designed in collab with Bobby at 2muchsun - so the "2muchsun adapter" is exactly the same as what I have now. Awesome feat of manufacturing optimization. Pick your source of where to get it - he deserves just as much credit (if not more, on the current design)!

1657354591570.png

Still working on graphics, but that's a dumb reason to hold up shipments of things that are in a box ready to roll. Worst case, tomorrow's shipments will roll out without a minor chuckle upon delivery. I hope to have that fixed over the weekend (Google history: 90s Microsoft box art... 90s Doritos ads... early 2000s PC GPU box art... hmmmm). :D

You know where to find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.