Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just here, I have seen articles in the popular motor press that talk about how easy it is to get a Tesla CCS adapter, it's become very common on YouTube (the repository of all human knowledge and misinformation)
I havent looked, but my response to that would be to check the dates on those youtube and press articles and see if they pre date the date of the creation of this thread.

Im certainly not trying to toot TMCs horn or anything, as I am just a volunteer moderator, so not invested like that, but many times, a lot of those "reports" at blogs, youtube etc, start with a thread here and all those people trolling here to pick up new info to get people to click on.

Reactions: DeepBlueMN
While Tesla Superchargers are definitely a lot easier to use compared to Electrify America. (rented a Polestar 2) . Either Tesla is supply constrained regarding CCS1 adapters/ECUs or locking everyone into using superchargers to grow their network. EA in Colorado is 40% cheaper during peak charge times. $0.32kWh with a $4 monthly membership vs $0.54kWh.

Why sell them in only South Korea since October 2021? ~10 months ago

Reactions: gt2690b
If i buy your wires, and plug with 20-b. Chademo, ccs and type 2 will work?
20-B, no - that's the EU one. At minimum, there's a difference in how Prox is handled (same wire, different meanings), that would make it not work correctly with Type 1 plugs. As for Type 2, the car already has a Type 2 socket if it has a Type 2 ECU, right? Thus it's already got CCS, thus ?? :D ?? why're we here lol

30-B, definitely no - now we know that's the Chinese ECU.

All this is designed for the 00-B (NA) ECU.

If you tell me a lot more detail about what you have (car, parts) and what you're trying to do (what stations, what plugs), maybe I can align ideas together to come up with something :)

I tried to use the CC (a no foreign transaction fee CC) information on my US Tesla account on the Korean Tesla website (I logged in with my Tesla credentials to proceed to checkout), and it kept getting declined because of a "currency is not accepted by payment provider" (no attempts were actually made to charge the amount to my card). This makes no sense because I make international purchases using this card at other sites. Did you run into this issue to purchase the adapter from the Korea Tesla site?
I also tried with 4 differents credit cards visa and mastercard and all of them did not worked

Here’s another option also. Can’t speak to the legitimacy but these folks seem to have made their own version and currently taking preorders: A2Z EV SHOP - A2Z THUNDERSTORM PLUG - CSS1 150KW - FAST CHARGE ADAPTER
Based on the photos, this one looks a lot like the Ukrainian CCS1-to-Tesla adapter that a few people managed to get before war broke out in Ukraine. It's not quite identical (I see a difference at the top, around the CCS latch), but it's pretty similar.

Unlike Tesla's adapter, neither of these adapters has a way to lock the CCS1 plug to the adapter. As I understand it, this puts the adapter in violation of the CCS1 specification, and that's the same issue that's caused Tesla to play whack-a-mole with Setec over their CCS1 adapter. I'm skeptical that Tesla could figure out what type of passive adapter is in use, so I doubt if they'll end up doing the same with one of these, but it does eliminate one of several safety features, so in theory it increases the risk of an arc flash that could injure the user or damage the car. Then too, there are other safety features to prevent that, so maybe this isn't all that big of an issue. Still, I for one would be more comfortable with Tesla's adapter, or a reputable third-party adapter that includes something similar to the locking pin in Tesla's design.

Unlike Tesla's adapter, neither of these adapters has a way to lock the CCS1 plug to the adapter. As I understand it, this puts the adapter in violation of the CCS1 specification, and that's the same issue that's caused Tesla to play whack-a-mole with Setec over their CCS1 adapter.
Yup, this is exactly why I'm a bit surprised it's such a direct copy as well - there's an open opportunity to have improved it by borrowing Tesla's mechanical pin-lock idea. It makes the adapter a little less convenient to use (can't unlock it except by going in the car and tapping the "unlock" button, or timing your removal within ~1min of stopping a charge - and you MUST put the Tesla adapter on the connector first, before plugging into the car)... but it adds that safety feature. It also isn't terribly hard to add - a spring and a movable locking post.

The Setec adapter, with all its active components spacing it away from the car, makes it significantly more difficult to add - but for these passive adapters? cmon guys. engineer just a little harder. haha

Still, it's nice to see someone else building the thing, to fill what may become a market void with Tesla clamping down on CCS adapter sales... again, without actually bringing it out to the NA market yet.

Reactions: MattChristian
Still, it's nice to see someone else building the thing, to fill what may become a market void with Tesla clamping down on CCS adapter sales... again, without actually bringing it out to the NA market yet.
Even when Tesla brings their adapter to the North American market, chances are it will often be out of stock. This has been true of many of their accessories. As I type, the Mobile Connector is marked as being out of stock. In the past, both the CHAdeMO adapter (when it was even officially available) and the J1772 adapter have often been out of stock. There are now third-party suppliers of J1772 adapters and of various NEMA plugs for the Mobile Connector, no doubt in part because Tesla just can't keep parts in stock. All of this pre-dates covid-related supply-chain problems, too. Thus, I fully expect that third-party passive CCS adapters will find buyers.

Even when Tesla brings their adapter to the North American market, chances are it will often be out of stock. This has been true of many of their accessories. As I type, the Mobile Connector is marked as being out of stock. In the past, both the CHAdeMO adapter (when it was even officially available) and the J1772 adapter have often been out of stock. There are now third-party suppliers of J1772 adapters and of various NEMA plugs for the Mobile Connector, no doubt in part because Tesla just can't keep parts in stock. All of this pre-dates covid-related supply-chain problems, too. Thus, I fully expect that third-party passive CCS adapters will find buyers.
Yes. Same with the NEMA 14-50 adapter for the mobile charge connectors, was frequently out of stock before Covid. I always wondered why Tesla couldn't keep the CHAdeMO adapter in stock all the years before COVID when there was always such high demand.

Tesla may be thinking that it is not in Tesla's best interests to let people out of their loop and charge on other networks.
As Bell Canada (Canada's telephone monopoly) once said a number of years ago "We need to find was to get more money out of existing customers"

So if Tesla makes it easy for you to spend money on someone else's charging network instead of theirs well there is no gain for them in that.

But I don't know what Tesla is thinking, only they know why they keep supply levels low or none altogether like the CCS or CHADEMO adapter.

Happy to report that my 2019 M3LR in now CCS enabled! I tend to be a pretty early adopter and although I was late in digging into this thread, I moved quickly once I saw owners with older M3's successfully enabling CCS. I ordered from Harumio on 6/28/22, no payment issues and about 10 days from order to delivery. I feel fortunate for acting when I did as I fear Tesla has cut off the supply of CCS1 Adaptors to Harumio. Bundle of wires came on time and the final piece was the Gen 4 ECU, which was a little challenging to get. I have a Tesla approved Body shop in my city so I was able to drive over and trigger the software reinstall. BTW, it is super simple. You only need to be inside the geofence, no wifi connection needed as nothing is downloaded. Open the service menu, select the reinstall option, close the service menu and drive off as usual. The software update icon will appear in about 5 min, making it available to reinstall whenever you get your new hardware in place. I have tested my M3 on my home wall connector, a Tesla Super Charger, an Electrify America and a ChargePoint. Everything works as expected and the EA charging rate was within 10% of the Tesla Supercharger. I personally believe that it will be a year or more before Tesla releases the CCS adapter in NA AND makes available an upgrade kit for our older M3's. I could not be more pleased that I was able to get this done July 2022. I am grateful for everyone in the TMC community who contributed to this project, especially FalconFour. Without his invaluable assistance, I would still be at square one.

I'm not loving the fact that they call this a 150kW adapter. Will using it at a 350kW station cause problems? I've gotten charge rates of 190kW+ using my Tesla CCS1 adapter at EA's 350kw stations.

So I used the adapter from 2muchsun and a Gen 4 ECU from a service center. Here are my results:

Volta DC charging in Stonestown mall -- Communication Error
EVGo DC charging at Daly City Library -- Did not start, no messages
Electrify America at Lakeshore Plaza Shopping Mall -- Tried two chargers; both only charged 2% before stopping due to a communication error

Seems like it doesn't work? Can someone point me towards charging stations near San Francisco that are confirmed to work?

So I used the adapter from 2muchsun and a Gen 4 ECU from a service center. Here are my results:

Volta DC charging in Stonestown mall -- Communication Error
EVGo DC charging at Daly City Library -- Did not start, no messages
Electrify America at Lakeshore Plaza Shopping Mall -- Tried two chargers; both only charged 2% before stopping due to a communication error

Seems like it doesn't work? Can someone point me towards charging stations near San Francisco that are confirmed to work?

I've used Volta at Stonestown, EA at Safeway/Lakeshore/elsewhere (CHAdeMO and CCS), ChargePoint around the Bay Area (CHAdeMO and CCS) - 2018 LR RWD. I am using the Tesla-branded CHAdeMO and CCS adapters.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
Status
Not open for further replies.