Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS DIY Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone!
I attempted to retrofit my 2019 M3 LR this weekend and after performing the installation and software update, I got 2 errors - charge port requires service and charge port latch fault. With these messages I was unable to charge my car. The vehicle info says that CCS is enabled however. I am using the correct Gen 4 ECU and the harness from @FalconFour.
Unfortunately, I had to swap the old ECU back in for now. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or has an idea of what could be wrong. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• error 2.jpg
    error 2.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 373
  • error 1.jpg
    error 1.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 225
Prox disconnected, latch disconnected, thermistor irrational... 🤔 A bit weird, like maybe your Bundle isn't fully plugged in, or maybe defective? All those signals ought to be on that connector, so it's a bit sus.

I'll PM ya 😄 Might need to get a replacement... if anyone else sees these specific service errors with a Bundle on a Gen3 car + Gen4 ECU, let me know!

Sorry for your problem. Did you look into having the Tesla dealer or anyone else do the conversion? Reason i ask is that i need an upgrade too and would not think about doing it myself. The Tesla supercharger only adaptor limits my travels around the country and i may be forced to sell my 2020 June release Model 3 for a newer model. Ugh.

Sorry for your problem. Did you look into having the Tesla dealer or anyone else do the conversion? Reason i ask is that i need an upgrade too and would not think about doing it myself. The Tesla supercharger only adaptor limits my travels around the country and i may be forced to sell my 2020 June release Model 3 for a newer model. Ugh.

Tesla will not be doing this until sometime in 2023, per the tesla app. There isnt any reason at all to ask them before that. In fact, I am betting thats why they put it in the app, so that the answer is already there before people try to create a service appointment for it.

Reactions: Tezzie
Hey Everyone!
I attempted to retrofit my 2019 M3 LR this weekend and after performing the installation and software update, I got 2 errors - charge port requires service and charge port latch fault. With these messages I was unable to charge my car. The vehicle info says that CCS is enabled however. I am using the correct Gen 4 ECU and the harness from @FalconFour.
Unfortunately, I had to swap the old ECU back in for now. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or has an idea of what could be wrong. Thanks in advance!
You posted this month ago, but I found this YouTube video on how to do the CCS retrofit. You are a brave soul--it looks complicated! He says to download the update (but NOT install it) before you go thru the retrofit process. Could that be the issue?

I did my upgrade with the 2muchsun bundle of wires yesterday. All went pretty well, no error messages other than the "needs upgrade" on on boot, though we heard a whining sound for a minute or two from the area of the charge controller during the upgrade. It all seems to be working, I did a short successful CCS charge at EVgo after. Anybody else hear the sound?

Did the retrofit yesterday using bundle from 2muchsun on 2018 Model 3.

Followed these directions

Heard all sorts of sounds coming from the car while it was updating. Whining clacking bumping noises that it would do on occasion on its own. Nothing new

Just left the car for about 40 minutes. And when I came back found CCS enabled

Thank you falconfour and 2muchsun!!!!!!! Appreciate all the work you’ve done and for providing the bundle of wires!!!!!

Of note I did not disconnect any battery connections

The worst part was peeling back the liner and then having to hold it out if the way

The old ecu had a blinking red light

You can’t put the wires in the wrong way since all three plugs are different widths

Super easy except for the lining, mine was glued into place

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FalconFour
I've encountered an unusual error during the retrofit. I have a 'bundle of wires with resistors', which is a proven product, plus a Gen-4 ECU 00-B at S level PGT22326023455 and Revision level 04. I installed the upgrade and received a message: "Incompatible Software - Car will not drive. Make a Service Appointment... " I figured that the message would go away when I installed the software upgrade. However, I could not install the upgrade. I couldn't do anything, including start the car. I reinstalled the Gen-3 ECU, rebooted, and my car returned. Has anyone else heard about this error or experienced it firsthand? I suspect a problem with the Gen-4 ECU I have.

I installed the upgrade and received a message: "Incompatible Software - Car will not drive. Make a Service Appointment... " I figured that the message would go away when I installed the software upgrade. However, I could not install the upgrade.

That error is normal and expected after plugging in the new ECU.

I know this post was months ago (just ran across it researching ECU replacements). What do you mean you could not install the upgrade? You should be able to go into service mode and go through the software reinstall process.

Reactions: FalconFour
I replaced the ECU from 1092755-99-D to 1537264-00-B.
Connected the bundle of wire
Did the firmware reinstall

I still have the error CP_a051 "Charge port may not open when pressed. Use another method to open the charge port"

My car work good with my Level2 Tesla charger and CCS charger.

This error come from the charger door assembly and the sensor that detect the magnet "diamond" but the assembly work great with my original ECU.
The bundle of wire as been tested with a meter. (pinout and resistor value)
This signal don't pass through the bundle of wire, it come directly from the charger door assembly.

Has anyone seen this error after a retrofit?