TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

retrofit for heated steering wheel

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by patrick40363, Oct 24, 2015.

1. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Any one know if it is possible to retrofit existing steering wheel on 85D to a heated version?

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

If you find a Service Center willing to do it, PLEASE let me know!

3. taurusking

taurusking Member

You mean to say its possible but service center won't do it?:smile:

Heated steering is part of the winter package and therefore OP cannot opt for just heated steering wheel that too after delivery

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

i hope this is not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla says you can only retrofit the heated steering wheel if you retrofit the entire winter package - meaning new rear seats, new steering wheel, new windshield, new wiper sprayers, and maybe even new wipers. That will likely run at least $7k, if not more.

5. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Can you even retrofit the winter package

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Technically you should be able to. But again, finding a Service Center willing to do it would be the issue. Nothing about it would shouldn't be impossible, but that could be said about many things.

7. Sogorman

Sogorman Member

I don't believe that the economics of this will work out. The heated wheel requires a different wire harness, not just a swap out of the actual wheel.

8. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

+1 on a new harness. That's not to say a competent car audio shop couldn't make it happen via it's own power source and switch.

9. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

i have the winter package but missed the heated steering wheel by the slimmest of margins (rumors of it showing up were circulating about a month before i took ownership). would love to add this in if possible.

10. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

So who will try to find out the costs? :D

11. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I just heard back from Tesla and they will not retrofit unless you have the cold weather package. I don't have the package as it didn't include the heated steering when I ordered my car so I passed on that option. Oh well.

12. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

#12 Bobbyducati, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    who did you contact? id be willing to reach out and find out cost for us with the cold weather package. Thanks.

Edit: PM'd you patrick.

13. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I'm in the same boat as Bobby -- just missed the heated wheel (some people who ordered at the same time got it). I do have the winter package, just not the wheel itself. I'd seriously consider the upgrade. Please post if you get a quote. If I talk to them soon, I'll ask myself.

14. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

Got off the phone with the local SC (tysons), and they said certain vins were locked out from the retrofit. Mine was apparently (P61xxx), but if they could it was estimated at $2400.... so yeah.... even if I could get it, that's an absurd price for something I haven't really missed.

15. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Heated steering wheel or winter package?

16. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

i told him i had the winter package, but its possible he misheard me. since i was locked out from getting it I didnt press him on anything. makes me wonder what vins arent locked out, as youd think a car built just before the switch was made to be the most compatible. owell.

17. balefire

balefire Member

I have the winter package without the wheel.
    I was also quoted 2400.
    Yikes!
    But the wife has always wanted it....

18. balefire

balefire Member

I was just told that they can only retrofit VIN from 10.2014 to 2.2015. Mine doesn't qualify. Oh well!

19. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

odd, my car was delivered 12/8/14 and was told I was not able to have it installed. im thinking your guy was correct, and mine not. the former makes more sense. $2400 is not worth it to me, however.