TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Retrofit for Pre-Autopilot Teslas

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BlackMambaCoil, Jul 6, 2018.

1. BlackMambaCoil

Hey all,

I'm brand new to the community - I just picked up a 2014 S85 Uncorked and I am so excited about this car! Everything about it is so fun and exciting - except - I don't have autopilot. It's never been a break-it or make-it item for me, so when I could find a seriously good priced S, I didn't even consider that it didn't have autopilot because I wanted one so badly.

But I'm really curious - how difficult would it be to retrofit the pre-autopilot S to have autopilot?

2. jayman

jayman Member

In a word, it can’t be done

3. kev1n

kev1n Member

it can be done but is it worth it? probably not

• Like x 1
  4. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

• Like x 5
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Well, perhaps AP1. AP2.x would need all the other hardware (added cameras and sensors). I think the consensus in general is it's tons easier to get a more-recent CPO.

Unless you want to start wk057 and Rich Rebuilds level of tinkering. <shudder> :D

• Helpful x 1
  6. demundus

demundus Member

WK said it wasnt worth it, after doing it.

• Informative x 1
  7. Brettski

Brettski Member

8. Mjsais

Mjsais Member

describe what you mean by ”uncorked S85”. RWD s85 can’t be uncorked, To the Best of my knowledge.

• Like x 4
  9. robby

robby Member

@BlackMambaCoil You may want to check out comma.ai, which is much easier to add to a Pre-AP Tesla than an Autopilot retrofit. You will need to install Bosch iBoosters at each wheel, but the rest is mostly plug and play. There is a Tesla room in Slack if you have specific questions.

• Informative x 1
  10. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

'Uncorked' is now in the eye of the beholder

• Funny x 2
  11. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

The person that already upgraded a Tesla to Ap1 will upgrade yours for ~$20,000. You can also upgrade it yourself for about $1000 with a Comma-Ai system, but right now that will only steer - it doesn't brake or throttle currently.

• Like x 1
  12. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

It cannot be done officially. It can be done unofficially through massive workarounds and non-approved modifications to the car. But then think about it, do you want something not approved by Tesla controlling your car and basically determining if you crash or not? No you do not :)

• Disagree x 1
  13. scottycs

scottycs Member

i wanna know about the uncorked S85....

• Like x 2
  14. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

15. BlackMambaCoil

Not sure what to tell those wondering about the uncorking. . . I will told about it briefly when I picked it up

16. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Hi, and welcome to the club! Always great to see a new member!!

Where did you pick it up at? Was this a Tesla CPO, or other dealer sale, or private sale?

17. demundus

demundus Member

I wouldn't put comma.ai in YOUR car LOL (play on "wouldnt touch it with your ____")

Seriously, don't do that to yourself...

18. BlackMambaCoil

It was a specialty car dealership!

19. BlackMambaCoil

Why's that?

20. demundus

demundus Member

Because George Hotz has admitted defeat openly, and I can't find the video but I'll keep looking. It also appears hes come back around for funding this year AGAIN, so we'll see lots more youtube of it "working well" on super straight highways on civics and priuses.

I'm all for capitalism and competition, and I hope someone gives Tesla a run for their money (google technically has more miles driven and less accidents blah blah blah), but this tech is not shocking, adaptive cruise control on a ford focus does more things than the current comma.ai setup.

I guess I wouldn't risk my already technically complex and very expensive car testing a self-driving module from someone who has a deep hatred for Tesla already lol.