Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Pre-Autopilot Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I'm brand new to the community - I just picked up a 2014 S85 Uncorked and I am so excited about this car! Everything about it is so fun and exciting - except - I don't have autopilot. It's never been a break-it or make-it item for me, so when I could find a seriously good priced S, I didn't even consider that it didn't have autopilot because I wanted one so badly.

But I'm really curious - how difficult would it be to retrofit the pre-autopilot S to have autopilot?

The person that already upgraded a Tesla to Ap1 will upgrade yours for ~$20,000. You can also upgrade it yourself for about $1000 with a Comma-Ai system, but right now that will only steer - it doesn't brake or throttle currently.

Reactions: davidc18
@BlackMambaCoil You may want to check out comma.ai, which is much easier to add to a Pre-AP Tesla than an Autopilot retrofit. You will need to install Bosch iBoosters at each wheel, but the rest is mostly plug and play. There is a Tesla room in Slack if you have specific questions.

I wouldn't put comma.ai in YOUR car LOL (play on "wouldnt touch it with your ____")

Seriously, don't do that to yourself...

Why's that?

Because George Hotz has admitted defeat openly, and I can't find the video but I'll keep looking. It also appears hes come back around for funding this year AGAIN, so we'll see lots more youtube of it "working well" on super straight highways on civics and priuses.

I'm all for capitalism and competition, and I hope someone gives Tesla a run for their money (google technically has more miles driven and less accidents blah blah blah), but this tech is not shocking, adaptive cruise control on a ford focus does more things than the current comma.ai setup.

I guess I wouldn't risk my already technically complex and very expensive car testing a self-driving module from someone who has a deep hatred for Tesla already lol.