Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Pre-Autopilot Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because George Hotz has admitted defeat openly, and I can't find the video but I'll keep looking. It also appears hes come back around for funding this year AGAIN, so we'll see lots more youtube of it "working well" on super straight highways on civics and priuses.

I'm all for capitalism and competition, and I hope someone gives Tesla a run for their money (google technically has more miles driven and less accidents blah blah blah), but this tech is not shocking, adaptive cruise control on a ford focus does more things than the current comma.ai setup.

I guess I wouldn't risk my already technically complex and very expensive car testing a self-driving module from someone who has a deep hatred for Tesla already lol.

With due respect, this post has a lot of misinformation. Comma isn't fundraising right now and in fact Hotz expects to turn a profit this year. There was an initial product that they bailed on but the Eon and Panda are going strong and their community is growing each day. Comma supports both latitudinal and longitudinal control, which is much more than TACC on a Ford; the issue in this thread is that nobody's implemented the longitudinal piece on a Tesla yet. Finally, not that it really matters, but Hotz is on the record wishing Elon well and apologizing for any mess he caused Tesla. He's also praised them quite a bit on Twitter and in Slack over the last couple years.

With due respect, this post has a lot of misinformation. Comma isn't fundraising right now and in fact Hotz expects to turn a profit this year. There was an initial product that they bailed on but the Eon and Panda are going strong and their community is growing each day. Comma supports both latitudinal and longitudinal control, which is much more than TACC on a Ford; the issue in this thread is that nobody's implemented the longitudinal piece on a Tesla yet. Finally, not that it really matters, but Hotz is on the record wishing Elon well and apologizing for any mess he caused Tesla. He's also praised them quite a bit on Twitter and in Slack over the last couple years.

I personally (ymmv) consider 1 quarter ago, "now" in the world of funding:

SEC FORM D

Considering Horowitz gave them 3MM in 2016, I'd also consider this a relevant show need-for-cash, since nearly 2 years have passed since their 20MM pre-money valuation.

They've hired a bit, and they've begun talking about their L3/L4 plans. I have no inside knowledge on the fundraise, but there are plenty of good reasons for a growing, healthy business to raise capital. My guess is they think they can get far on that money and take less dilution by deferring a bigger A round.

Not sure what to tell those wondering about the uncorking. . . I will told about it briefly when I picked it up

Hi, and welcome to the club! Always great to see a new member!!

Where did you pick it up at? Was this a Tesla CPO, or other dealer sale, or private sale?

It was a specialty car dealership!

This would explain the confusion over the "uncorking". The car dealership either isn't familiar enough with Tesla, or was simply trying to make a sale by twisting words.

The 2014 MS 85 is an amazing vehicle, with tons of power. It will leave you with a smile on your face every time you get in the car. That said, Tesla never "corked" or "uncorked" this specific option package. She's already giving you everything she's got! Enjoy!! :D

This would explain the confusion over the "uncorking". The car dealership either isn't familiar enough with Tesla, or was simply trying to make a sale by twisting words.

The 2014 MS 85 is an amazing vehicle, with tons of power. It will leave you with a smile on your face every time you get in the car. That said, Tesla never "corked" or "uncorked" this specific option package. She's already giving you everything she's got! Enjoy!! :D

All of this is true - I love the car so far. Super fun and exciting to be a part of this pack! Thank you for the information.

Is there any specific reason why Tesla didn't "cork" or "uncork" this specific option package?

Is there any specific reason why Tesla didn't "cork" or "uncork" this specific option package?

They did, they just sold it as the P85. The P85 is an "uncorked" S85

The "uncorked" nomenclature comes from S75D cars that were updated to be as fast (or faster) than the P85 for free around the time the semi truck was announced. I've heard many reasons why they might have offered the uncorking, and true or not my favorite is that Tesla didn't want recent buyers to be upset their new car was slower than a semi tractor.

They did, they just sold it as the P85. The P85 is an "uncorked" S85

The "uncorked" nomenclature comes from S75D cars that were updated to be as fast (or faster) than the P85 for free around the time the semi truck was announced. I've heard many reasons why they might have offered the uncorking, and true or not my favorite is that Tesla didn't want recent buyers to be upset their new car was slower than a semi tractor.

Not 100% true, depends on config and swaps etc; As an example, I have an S85 but it had a performance pack (universal back in 2013-2014) and a P85D rear motor on a warranty swap. The physical components were there to make it a P85, so someone waved a magic wand and now I have a P85. It's not ALWAYS the case, but based on how Tesla handles warranty swaps on drivetrains, highly likely older S85's out there posses what they need to become P85s.

All of this is true - I love the car so far. Super fun and exciting to be a part of this pack! Thank you for the information.

“Uncorking” refers to a software (in some cases software+hardware) change to improve performance. It was applied at no charge, post-sale, to specific models of the Model S/X (I think they were primarily the 75kWh battery packs). After a certain point, the cars shipped from the factory that way.

There was no such post-sale change for the S85, which is why people here (including me) were puzzled when you used the term “uncorked” to apply to your car. The S85D and SP85D had a similar software change (applied automatically as a part of one of the software updates) to improve their 0-60 times in mid-2015, but there wasn’t a specific word like “uncorking” for it.

Your question implies that you think that most Model S could be “uncorked”, but in fact that term only applies to specific configurations.

Hope this helps a bit...enjoy your new ride!

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
Hi, and welcome to the club! Always great to see a new member!!

Where did you pick it up at? Was this a Tesla CPO, or other dealer sale, or private sale?

So I followed up on this and was told that the car was part of a motor swap, with the original being replaced with a performance motor. Despite this, my Tesla app says that the car is still an S85.

I'm pretty confused about this - has anyone heard of this before?

:)

I'll try to ask you here, since no one replied on slack. Are there any vendors in the EU for the hardware? We have a pretty hefty import tax on stuff from the US. I'd like to source the hardware here in the EU. Also do I need the grey or the white Panda? Do I need the Tesla Giraffe?

I suppose I can buy any OnePlus 3T and use that - is the 128GB preferred, or does it not matter?

:)

I'll try to ask you here, since no one replied on slack. Are there any vendors in the EU for the hardware? We have a pretty hefty import tax on stuff from the US. I'd like to source the hardware here in the EU. Also do I need the grey or the white Panda? Do I need the Tesla Giraffe?

I suppose I can buy any OnePlus 3T and use that - is the 128GB preferred, or does it not matter?

I would get a comma EON and grey panda (grey to enable high resolution gps because there will soon be maps integrated in Openpilot).

Then you can use the opensourced hardware and build (or have build) your own giraffe to connect the Panda to the car.

Reactions: TB205gti