Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a refresh model S that was built prior to RAM being upgraded so it does not have Steam. Since Elon mentioned a retrofit, I set up service to see if they would do it. They told me it was not free, which is annoying since the cars were advertised to have the capability. This is the estimate they gave me, which seems insane just to get the upgraded RAM.
FAA34CAD-B1B6-49B7-9DC7-962C1F86562A.png

I have a refresh model S that was built prior to RAM being upgraded so it does not have Steam. Since Elon mentioned a retrofit, I set up service to see if they would do it. They told me it was not free, which is annoying since the cars were advertised to have the capability. This is the estimate they gave me, which seems insane just to get the upgraded RAM.
View attachment 888091
I did the same to see what Service would say. I want the official word on Free vs, Charge before I lose my sh@t over this. I'm going to assume they to the right thing and honor all refreshed models, as this was advertised at launch. [positive thoughts until then]

Reactions: bhzmark
Ok well this isn't looking good. I jumped into the Service Queue as @maxmack698 did and got some responses this morning. The Service Center in my area came back with the same exact quote as @maxmack698 .. $2,041.75. I pushed a bit further and asked WHEN this part would be available and the SC replied that it is in stock at my local SC and could be installed at the next available appt. slot (mid-Jan.). So it appears that Tesla is taking the stance (at least out of the gate) that this was NOT promised to any of the initial refreshed MS with the 8GB hardware, which is pretty mind boggling. I'm going to push back that this was an advertised feature of the car at launch, etc.. and see where this goes. I will say at this point, if this position doesn't change, I'm not sure how I can continue to purchase/support this company. Now understand that I'm two cars in (MSP2021, M3LR2021) and Tesla Solar + PW's, so I'm pretty deep into this ecosystem, but I still have future EV(s) planned for purchase and with situations like this... they are making it >>REALLY<< hard to consider any Tesla product going fwd. Hoping they make this right for all of us that weren't told of a deficient part upon delivery. 🤞

tesla1a - Copy.jpg

tesla2a - Copy.jpg

tesla3a - Copy.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: ord3r and Propofoln
View attachment 888091
I’m in your same boat and wanting the upgrade. To be clear, in case you didn’t know this, they’re not just adding ram at this price. You are likely aware. They swap the entire “sandwich” which is a single unit containing the MCU Ryzen computer (which has upgrade 16gb ram as well as 256nvme ssd (compared to our 8gb and 128gb older MCU), and the graphics card, and the FSD computer, all as a single unit. So it’s an expensive part to swap when all of those get swapped as a single replacement part in this quote.

I’m hopeful that an official retrofit pricing comes out to make this more palatable.

Reactions: bhzmark
The picture that got my attention for this car had Witcher 3 in it. The car I bought cannot play Witcher 3. There was no disclaimer mentioning an upgrade would be required. This is false advertising.

Is Steam the only way to play Witcher 3?

“Your honor, we intend to release a native build of Witcher 3 and other games through an OTA software update in the future”.

Case dismissed.

I'm not quite sure what all you guys do in your cars. I drive my car, not hang out in it to play games. If I want to play games, I do it at home, not in a car. The reality is that Tesla overpromised many features on the 2021 refresh that are only slowly creeping into the builds. I choose to be content with the configuration of my car rather than get fussed about every little feature that comes out that my car does not have. The tens of thousands of dollars I saved on cost of my car vs what Tesla is now charging for a MS keeps me happy. That said, if you guys want to go the lawsuit route, I wish you luck!

I'm not quite sure what all you guys do in your cars. I drive my car, not hang out in it to play games. If I want to play games, I do it at home, not in a car. The reality is that Tesla overpromised many features on the 2021 refresh that are only slowly creeping into the builds. I choose to be content with the configuration of my car rather than get fussed about every little feature that comes out that my car does not have. The tens of thousands of dollars I saved on cost of my car vs what Tesla is now charging for a MS keeps me happy. That said, if you guys want to go the lawsuit route, I wish you luck!
I like the infotainment for when I’m stuck waiting for a restaurant to free a table, etc

Reactions: leecox