Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I seen my brothers mothers sister make a tick tok on a you tube video and with all that information I deduced the universe was changing and with the latest polar vortex it just has to happen.
…and also Tesla’s own filing with the FCC.

The pretentious dickbags in the forum telling people to read a book... Holy moly what a fun read. I just want to point out I ordered a model x in March of 2021. I didn't get it until February of 2022 only to find out in December that the one I got was a shitty version of what they promised at the launch. They advertised a swivel screen. They advertised PS5 level games. And I got none of that and the falcon doors had to be replaced twice already. It was in the shop for 1 month straight. And they had to replace the front right half shaft twice with it being towed twice and in the shop for another month. They don't care. At all. They are ripping out garbage as fast as they can. 150k down the tubes. I know we're all here because the company used to stand for something and produce a great product. But I think that time is over...

For those trying to get the retrofit for free, Tesla never stated that Wicher or other titles would be free or how it might be paid for, or when it might appear. There were very few explicit promises made as to what was included in the car. There was a one-line feature about the swivel screen, but I'm fairly sure that disappeared before the first deliveries. The presumption was Tesla could either not ship the car due to the lack of the swivel motors, or remove the feature and ship the car. A lot of other manufacturers did the same thing, but with far more important features.

And then there is the disclaimer at the bottom of the Model S page Model S
"Access to features that use cellular data and third-party licenses are subject to change". Seems like a strong out for Tesla, as Stream clearly requires a third-party license.

I'd like steam (I have 8 GB RAM), but it's a "nice to have" feature. I'm a little surprised at all the hate over a minor feature that was never promised. No other car manufacturer offers it or hundreds of other features that we get in our Teslas. Everyone is entitled to their feelings and some hate Tesla and will never buy again, while others wonder what the fuss is about over the most feature-loaded car made.

The pretentious dickbags in the forum telling people to read a book... Holy moly what a fun read. I just want to point out I ordered a model x in March of 2021. I didn't get it until February of 2022 only to find out in December that the one I got was a shitty version of what they promised at the launch. They advertised a swivel screen. They advertised PS5 level games. And I got none of that and the falcon doors had to be replaced twice already. It was in the shop for 1 month straight. And they had to replace the front right half shaft twice with it being towed twice and in the shop for another month. They don't care. At all. They are ripping out garbage as fast as they can. 150k down the tubes. I know we're all here because the company used to stand for something and produce a great product. But I think that time is over...
Boy you gat the screws put to you $150K 😂 😂 😂 March 2021 pricing was waaaaayyyyyy under $150K no wonder your crying about a game

theye need to provide FSD user all free future hardware upgrades which cost (15K) FSD-beta package
HD radar harness camera MCU HW auxiliary ion battery
removing parking sensor is not a bad idea but they will have to put a camera in front end.
technically all retrofitable when you spend 8k~15k FSD package
can't say that they are lazy but who knows or don't want to spend money on labor
(they need to fix the wiper and matrix light)

Last edited:
Reactions: Evee
With hardware 4 coming (along with higher rez cameras and high rez radar), that will require an FSD computer upgrade. If the MCU also needs to be upgraded for HW4 then those who paid for FSD would get steam game capability at no cost. We might know when the cybertruck comes out since it is rumoured to have HW4.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
theye need to provide FSD user all free future hardware upgrades which cost (15K)

With hardware 4 coming (along with higher rez cameras and high rez radar), that will require an FSD computer upgrade.

This is a dangerous (and in my opinion incorrect) assumption. So long as Tesla can deliver the currently advertised FSD features with existing hardware, there is no way they’re going to retrofit countless existing cars.

I firmly believe there is absolutely zero chance Tesla is delivering reliable FSD
FTFY ;)

The problem with terms like “reliable” is that they’re subjective, and the fluffiness of Tesla’s language gives them lots of leeway to define for themselves what “done” is and how they define it.

There’s just no way they’re gonna do large-scale computer/radar/camera retrofits for people with HW3. People assuming/expecting this treatment are in for a rude awakening. $100 to the charity of your choice if I’m ultimately proven wrong. :)

FTFY ;)

The problem with terms like “reliable” is that they’re subjective, and the fluffiness of Tesla’s language gives them lots of leeway to define for themselves what “done” is and how they define it.

There’s just no way they’re gonna do large-scale computer/radar/camera retrofits for people with HW3. People assuming/expecting this treatment are in for a rude awakening. $100 to the charity of your choice if I’m ultimately proven wrong. :)
I agree it’s unlikely.

Reactions: aerodyne
So long as Tesla can deliver the currently advertised FSD features with existing hardware, there is no way they’re going to retrofit countless existing cars.

Good point. We will see if a HW4 upgrade will be available. Thinking about it.. there will probably be a charge for it since they do currently provide what they promised ( Full self driving beta) on HW3.

I know for a fact it’s soldered. If you have a reflow soldering machine you could do it. But not only do you need more Ram but also the 256gb nvme ssd to match otherwise no Steam support.
Not necessarily true. I happen to have a December 21 build that seems to have a 16GB RAM / 128GB NVMe configuration that got Steam in the holiday update. I think the bottleneck is the 16GB of ram, not necessarily the NVMe.

Not necessarily true. I happen to have a December 21 build that seems to have a 16GB RAM / 128GB NVMe configuration that got Steam in the holiday update. I think the bottleneck is the 16GB of ram, not necessarily the NVMe.
How fascinating. I was under pretty sure guidance that the 16gb MCU didn’t come until Feb 2022. I also have a December 21 Plaid that does not have the requisite hardware for steam. Are you certain yours is a December 21 build? And have you had any warranty parts swap on your cars? Your the first 2021 that I’ve heard got steam…

they will have to upgrade the hardware at some point whenever they complete FSD product or its gonna be like my legacy S with FSD like PSD. doesn't work like my other ride.
can't expect to pay more for future or completed product for 15k+ on top.
btw i've MYP with 10k FSD.
im planning on getting Solar roof..maybe 2yr and model X( without FSD maybe )