Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol not navigation data…

Things like the operating system. All the non steam games. Tidal. All that takes up space too. So they allocate specific portions to specific apps.
Why wouldn't nav data be part of it? I've received several navigation data updates which required Wi-Fi. It doesn't use Google Maps for the underlying navigation system or routing, only for map display. You can see the version you're on under software..

Still not entirely convinced. That’s a lot of storage left over… for what?

Convince me further. 😂
Steam is just a vm with allocated resources. It's virtual disk is much smaller than the overall 256GB. Same with the ram, steam will report it only has 8GB of ram.

I've had people say that they have 128GB nvme with steam support so there may be some unique configurations out there like that.

I don't think it's possible. Besides opening up their computer which I'm sure nobody has done. I know our x has an internal disk size of 64 GB which is 20GB lower than the one pictured. We can only extrapolate so much from that limited info.
Sure, but my point is where did this 128GB vs 256GB discussion even come from? The 8GB vs 16GB makes sense since even Tesla states this, but there’s nothing about storage mentioned. Not saying it’s outright false, but there’s certainly zero supporting evidence thus far.

Keep in mind the system needs at least double the OS flash memory space. For example, when you get an update, it does not overwrite the existing working update. It loads it into a free memory area, decompresses it, and then switches over to the new version. If something crashes in the upgrade process, it can reboot back to the prior working version. Now it is possible the system can free up additional space for updates by flushing games, but I don't think this is done currently.

I've not seen a way to get the size of flash memory, other than physically opening up MCUZ and looking at the chips, or rooting the system (which I'm not sure is possible with v11). Toolbox 3 might show you the numbers too. If you can get into Diagnostics mode, under the MCU tab, it displays some data that may be useful.

Good news... the Costa Mesa. CA Tesla service center was able to get steam to work! This was their first time doing the steam retrofit.. so it was a learning curve for them. They are currently uploading steam. I will pick up the car on Saturday. They had to go to revision F of the computer and add 2 parts.. an ethernet and a jumper. . More details to follow when I pick up the car. I will post the final invoice with the part numbers and price.

Last edited:
Good news... the Costa Mesa. CA Tesla service center was able to get steam to work! This was their first time doing the steam retrofit.. so it was a learning curve for them. They are currently uploading steam. I will pick up the car on Saturday. They had to go to revision F of the computer and add 2 parts.. an ethernet and a jumper. . More details to follow when I pick up the car. I will post the final invoice with the part numbers and price.

Since you edit ur posts can you share again the previous revision letter they tried to use so that way I can make sure I don’t go through the same experience :)

I have to say, after playing with Steam some more it’s, in my opinion, not currently worth the money. It’s undoubtedly a cool trick but the latency really isn’t great, reminding me a little of streaming games rather than playing locally.

I also tested with an Xbox Series controller wired, so it’s not to do with wireless gaming. I can’t remember the last time a local gaming setup had so much latency (if ever!). I’m waiting for someone to come up with the actual ms in lag here, but it’s large.

here are the parts for the steam upgrade:

steam parts for retrofit.jpg

Interesting about the Ethernet. No more media converter!

Reactions: Evee