Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news... the Costa Mesa. CA Tesla service center was able to get steam to work! This was their first time doing the steam retrofit.. so it was a learning curve for them. They are currently uploading steam. I will pick up the car on Saturday. They had to go to revision F of the computer and add 2 parts.. an ethernet and a jumper. . More details to follow when I pick up the car. I will post the final invoice with the part numbers and price.
Same here, firmware upgrade issues they say will be solved by an ethernet module. Guess this explains why people were so adamant that refresh had ethernet connection but mine never did haha.

Question for the forum regarding refreshed 2021 Model S/P and deficient HW (not meeting Steam reqs):

1) Were ALL of the refreshed 2021 Model S/P shipped with 8GB RAM?

^If not, is there evidence (in this forum or publicly) showing that at some point in 2021 Tesla changed from 16GB RAM to 8GB RAM for 2021 Model S/P deliveries? And do we have an idea as to WHEN this was?

Thanks! Will help with my case.

Reactions: FSDIN2020!
Question for the forum regarding refreshed 2021 Model S/P and deficient HW (not meeting Steam reqs):

1) Were ALL of the refreshed 2021 Model S/P shipped with 8GB RAM?

^If not, is there evidence (in this forum or publicly) showing that at some point in 2021 Tesla changed from 16GB RAM to 8GB RAM for 2021 Model S/P deliveries? And do we have an idea as to WHEN this was?

Thanks! Will help with my case.
90% of 2021 car is 8GB RAM except very few delivered late December has 16G

16G RAM car start to deliver from February 2022.
Case? Did you file a small claim vs Tesla on this?

90% of 2021 car is 8GB RAM except very few delivered late December has 16G

16G RAM car start to deliver from February 2022.
Case? Did you file a small claim vs Tesla on this?
That is my intention. Tired of these games and wasted time. Never in a million years did I ever think of suing BMW, Toyota, Nissan, etc... over features shown prior to purchasing one of their cars and then not delivered. In fact, I think those companies mentioned are pretty good with their fine print on commercials/marketing material with anything shown and calling out specific model requirements ("Premiere Package", "Basic Package") in order to obtain said features. Unlike Tesla who shows the world what the refreshed MSP features are, then after you purchase and take delivery, takes the position of "we never said YOUR refreshed MSP would be able to have those features" nor inform you (the more fraudulent point here) that the car you just purchased is incapable of the features that were marketed without you purchasing additional hardware in the future. I'm absolutely OK with the way the established car companies level their car models (Basic, Premium, Luxury) and related features/price when purchasing, but when you buy the most expensive model Tesla sells (no other "level" up to purchase) and you do not receive what was marketed at the time of purchase-- to me this is outright fraud. If Tesla had informed me that "x,y,z features" are NOT present at the time of my delivery, but will be coming in future upgrades and that some of these features may require additional hardware to purchase...I would have been propoerly informed and could have made a decision to purchase, or wait. And the fact that the company plans to burn their highest paying customers, is an alarming customer loyalty position. They could easily make this right for those who have the 2021 MS/P models, why they have chosen the position they have astounds me.

>>>AND TO GET AHEAD OF THIS... I'm DO NOT (nor would I ever) feel that I'm entitled to any features BEYOND what was marketed at the time I purchased this car. I am ONLY demanding that the features that were marketed at the time of my purchase be delivered<<<

That is my intention. Tired of these games and wasted time. Never in a million years did I ever think of suing BMW, Toyota, Nissan, etc... over features shown prior to purchasing one of their cars and then not delivered. In fact, I think those companies mentioned are pretty good with their fine print on commercials/marketing material with anything shown and calling out specific model requirements ("Premiere Package", "Basic Package") in order to obtain said features. Unlike Tesla who shows the world what the refreshed MSP features are, then after you purchase and take delivery, takes the position of "we never said YOUR refreshed MSP would be able to have those features" nor inform you (the more fraudulent point here) that the car you just purchased is incapable of the features that were marketed without you purchasing additional hardware in the future. I'm absolutely OK with the way the established car companies level their car models (Basic, Premium, Luxury) and related features/price when purchasing, but when you buy the most expensive model Tesla sells (no other "level" up to purchase) and you do not receive what was marketed at the time of purchase-- to me this is outright fraud. If Tesla had informed me that "x,y,z features" are NOT present at the time of my delivery, but will be coming in future upgrades and that some of these features may require additional hardware to purchase...I would have been propoerly informed and could have made a decision to purchase, or wait. And the fact that the company plans to burn their highest paying customers, is an alarming customer loyalty position. They could easily make this right for those who have the 2021 MS/P models, why they have chosen the position they have astounds me.

>>>AND TO GET AHEAD OF THIS... I'm DO NOT (nor would I ever) feel that I'm entitled to any features BEYOND what was marketed at the time I purchased this car. I am ONLY demanding that the features that were marketed at the time of my purchase be delivered<<<
I can’t agree with you more
I have No experience with small claim or class action on this.
I would love to follow your case

I can’t agree with you more
I have No experience with small claim or class action on this.
I would love to follow your case
Not necessarily true. I happen to have a December 21 build that seems to have a 16GB RAM / 128GB NVMe configuration that got Steam in the holiday update. I think the bottleneck is the 16GB of ram, not necessarily the NVMe.
Hi - I have a November 2021 build. I do not see steam. Sounds pretty awesome.

I picked up my car. I added a samsung T7 2 Tb SSD drive and a PS5 controller. Steam has many artifacts on the menu portion, but inside the games artifacts are gone (for the most part).. Brutal Legend had artifacts at first, then was OK when restarting later. Sonic was fine. You have to download the games in the Tesla, you cannot add the game directly to the hard drive. When you format the drive in the Tesla , 64 gb goes to your Tesla cam and the rest goes to a separate encoded linux partition that requires a passcode. To download the game to your hard drive I found I have to keep the door open, if I close it steam turns off. The downloads take quite a while. You can also stream directly from your home computer but it is slow and glitchy. As far a gameplay .. I added brutal legend and sonic so far and they play great. Gamesaves are synced to the cloud so you can go from your Tesla to your computer or steamdeck and resume the game. It is still a beta first version so things will get better. Also when the computer is changed you have to have the techs send the latest firmware which contains FSD for your VIN, otherwise FSD will not be there. You also have to renengage autopilot and fsd when the computer is swapped out.
Attached is my original invoice (which has the amount due) and a second invoice with no charge because they installed the wrong computer and needed to add and ethernet port and a jumper.

Attachments

• Tesla steam retrofit initial invoice.pdf
    63.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Tesla steam retrofit final invoice.pdf
    64.3 KB · Views: 105
I posted this a few threads on this topic.
My 2 cents on unkept promises…

I believe Tesla should upgrade the MCUs at no charge to make them capable of the promoted features (gaming) that they claimed the car would have with future updates.

The tilting screen falls into this category as well. However, with the reports of rattles… I feel lucky not to have one.
And frankly it seems unnecessary. Great visibility from any angle. I would rather see bigger fonts with more contrast in the UI.

The New Headlights are not in this category.

Moving the horn to the center of the yoke isn’t either, however I believe it is a safety issue that Tesla should also resolve at no cost.

That said…as a result of price increases I paid $23,547 less than I would pay today when I took delivery of my Red Model S Plaid with 19” wheels & FSD in September 2021.

So if I have to begrudgingly fork over another 2k to get it up my MCU upgraded, I will. Not entirely to gain Access to Steam Games.
I suspect future un-promised features will appear down the road that won’t work without the 16gb.

Mine download in the background just fine when I close the door.
Mine does, too, I believe. Also, the menus are not super responsive. They're responsive "enough" but we're talking around 100ms lag, and the worst input lag I've seen on a modern device, especially one as powerful as the Tesla's CPU/GPU, which is the biggest issue with Steam in the car. A real shame.