Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say, after playing with Steam some more it’s, in my opinion, not currently worth the money. It’s undoubtedly a cool trick but the latency really isn’t great, reminding me a little of streaming games rather than playing locally.

I also tested with an Xbox Series controller wired, so it’s not to do with wireless gaming. I can’t remember the last time a local gaming setup had so much latency (if ever!). I’m waiting for someone to come up with the actual ms in lag here, but it’s large.
Is the only issue input lag? How’s the frame rate, any choppiness when running modern games that need a lot of GPU power?
Also, did your come with the 16gb computer, or did you pay for the upgrade?

Is the only issue input lag? How’s the frame rate, any choppiness when running modern games that need a lot of GPU power?
Also, did your come with the 16gb computer, or did you pay for the upgrade?
Performance is generally good in the few games I’ve tested, and I’m sensitive to frame drops and latency. I’m installing a few other games to get an idea of how it compares to an actual PS5 (God of War, for example). I’ll report back.

Mine came with the 16GB standard.

Mine does, too, I believe. Also, the menus are not super responsive. They're responsive "enough" but we're talking around 100ms lag, and the worst input lag I've seen on a modern device, especially one as powerful as the Tesla's CPU/GPU, which is the biggest issue with Steam in the car. A real shame.
Hmmm that’s weird I’m not really experiencing any lag. Do you have games downloading in the background or multiple games running?

Reactions: Blakesplay
I posted this a few threads on this topic.
My 2 cents on unkept promises…

I believe Tesla should upgrade the MCUs at no charge to make them capable of the promoted features (gaming) that they claimed the car would have with future updates.

The tilting screen falls into this category as well. However, with the reports of rattles… I feel lucky not to have one.
And frankly it seems unnecessary. Great visibility from any angle. I would rather see bigger fonts with more contrast in the UI.

The New Headlights are not in this category.

Moving the horn to the center of the yoke isn’t either, however I believe it is a safety issue that Tesla should also resolve at no cost.

That said…as a result of price increases I paid $23,547 less than I would pay today when I took delivery of my Red Model S Plaid with 19” wheels & FSD in September 2021.

So if I have to begrudgingly fork over another 2k to get it up my MCU upgraded, I will. Not entirely to gain Access to Steam Games.
I suspect future un-promised features will appear down the road that won’t work without the 16gb.
Agree with every one of your points. I feel cheated with Steam/'better MCU' and tilt screen. Don't care about the latter and it remains to be seen if they will further add new features to only the 16gb version. I expect the refresh on 3/Y to have at least that spec MCU if not better. For me $2K isn't worth spending for just steam... other stuff, we will see. I have no expectations what so ever about the new headlights and tail-lights. They were not advertised and didn't exist when I purchased.

It turns out the screen artifacts I have when I open steam is not normal . Tesla service will troubleshoot it later this week. There are no artifacts once the steam games start though.
Keep us updated, I’m looking to upgrade too, but wanna make sure it runs as smooth as other shared videos on this thread with cars that did not need to retrofit. Thanks for sharing your info!

After my steam retrofit here are screenshots of the artifacts on my screen when steam is running. Note they occur in the menu items but not the game. I am taking the car in this week to get this fixed.

Attachments

• IMG-5095.jpg
    IMG-5095.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG-5091.jpg
    IMG-5091.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-5085.jpg
    IMG-5085.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 65
😂

The ability to run Steam was advertised at launch?
No, the ability to run The Witcher 3 was advertised at launch.

This whole thing pisses me off more than any other thing Tesla has done, and that's not a short list. It boggles my mind to think that all the extra processing power they put in these early MS cars amounts to NOTHING. We have no more capability than a 2018 M3. No disrespect to the M3 gang, but this car was sold on PS5-level gaming capabilities, and we'll never see any of those without a stupidly unrealistic >$2k upgrade - which I'll never pay on principal even if it were actually less than the cost of 16GB of ram (<$100, btw)

Recognizing the irrationality, I am so pissed about this I want to sell my Tesla, despite the fact that I might only occasionally use Steam. This is the worst case of false advertising I've been dealt by Tesla yet, and that includes the $6k I paid for FSD on my M3P in 2019 that amounted to ****-all.

No, the ability to run The Witcher 3 was advertised at launch.

This whole thing pisses me off more than any other thing Tesla has done, and that's not a short list. It boggles my mind to think that all the extra processing power they put in these early MS cars amounts to NOTHING. We have no more capability than a 2018 M3. No disrespect to the M3 gang, but this car was sold on PS5-level gaming capabilities, and we'll never see any of those without a stupidly unrealistic >$2k upgrade - which I'll never pay on principal even if it were actually less than the cost of 16GB of ram (<$100, btw)

Recognizing the irrationality, I am so pissed about this I want to sell my Tesla, despite the fact that I might only occasionally use Steam. This is the worst case of false advertising I've been dealt by Tesla yet, and that includes the $6k I paid for FSD on my M3P in 2019 that amounted to ****-all.
We need to get you a Jump To Conclusions mat so you can flail around a bit more. 😂

It’s been like three weeks and you have completely dug a big muddy hole to have your pity party in, complete with big terminal words like NEVER and NOTHING.

There will be some sort of retrofit. It won’t be $2k. More capabilities will continue to be released, just like they always have. The world will not end, it will go on. I mean, it will go on at Elon Time like it always has, but surely you knew what you were getting into if this isn’t your first Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fulkth and jaguar36
We need to get you a Jump To Conclusions mat so you can flail around a bit more. 😂

It’s been like three weeks and you have completely dug a big muddy hole to have your pity party in, complete with big terminal words like NEVER and NOTHING.

There will be some sort of retrofit. It won’t be $2k. More capabilities will continue to be released, just like they always have. The world will not end, it will go on. I mean, it will go on at Elon Time like it always has, but surely you knew what you were getting into if this isn’t your first Tesla.
Sarcastic wit notwithstanding, you spoke to my points not at all, so lets talk more about flailing around. Though maybe I should have given more credit for that extremely well-supported prognostication about the "won't be $2k" upgrade.

I realize it seems crazy, but I'm suffering the delusion that a car company should deliver advertised features at the time of delivery. You know, like every other car manufacturer ever? The Model S, unlike their bread and butter M3, is rife with undelivered advertised features. I'm not even fussing about the fact that my car still doesn't have the tilting screen it was advertised with, because this isn't something they retroactively added to cars while excluding mine. Do you really not see why that would be frustrating? To have a feature like that promised and wait without complaint for 2 years (I ordered my MS on 4 Feb 2021), only to have it show up on cars that were delivered less than one month after I received mine. The notion that this should cost anything at all is absurd.

Attitudes like the one you've adopted in this thread are what the vast majority of automotive journalists despise about Tesla fans. This blind defense in the face of reasonable complaints is completely eyeroll worthy. Voting with our wallets is how we show companies that they've ****ed up, which is exactly what I plan to do when I buy my next car. Tesla used to be a great company, but it's clear to me now that they've always been an Amazon.

I realize it seems crazy, but I'm suffering the delusion that a car company should deliver advertised features at the time of delivery.
Of course they should.

I have a late 2016 Model S that I bought shortly after the first faked “full self driving” video. I’ve spent the six years since telling anyone who will listen to never ever ever buy anything Tesla makes on the promise of future capability, and to verify that everything actually important to you exists prior to you giving them a dollar. Even that’s not fool-proof as things can be taken away - but it’s the best you can do.
Attitudes like the one you've adopted in this thread are what the vast majority of automotive journalists despise about Tesla fans.
I believe you’ve misinterpreted my eye rolling at your pearl clutching as a defense of Tesla. I offer up no such defense. Tesla is rapidly becoming a terrible company that won’t get much if any more of my money. That doesn’t make your moaning hyperbole and assumptions about the future any more reasonable, and if we’re talking about things the media sinks their teeth into about Tesla owners, I think you’d be hard pressed to find something worse than lamenting the most first-world of first-world problems - the utter unfairness of not being able to play video games in their $100k electric cars while someone else CAN.

This blind defense in the face of reasonable complaints is completely eyeroll worthy.
Did you actually read your “reasonable complaints”? 😂

“It boggles my mind to think that all the extra processing power they put in these early MS cars amounts to NOTHING.”

“… this car was sold on PS5-level gaming capabilities, and we'll never see any of those without a stupidly unrealistic >$2k upgrade”

“… I am so pissed about this I want to sell my Tesla, despite the fact that I might only occasionally use Steam. This is the worst case of false advertising I've been dealt by Tesla yet”

Yup, super reasonable and level-headed.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Fulkth and WilliamG