Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a "friend" in service. She's been around since my 1st MS in Q1 2014. I've come to know her very well over the years and she typically is able to pull things off that NO other people can. That said.
Im putting my Plaid (Birthdate Aug 27,2021) in for loud half shafts under acceleration so I figured this was a good time as any to ask for the MCU upgrade for steam.
Today came my "estimate of work" and the MCU came up as a $2k upgrade.
I messaged her phone privately and said : "Hey there! I got the job estimate for my car, thanks, but can you see why I have to pay for the computer when Elon promised us this feature in our cars when we ordered them?? 😬 "

And her response was : "Hi! This hardware wasn’t included in the price of the early plaid vins. Similar to infotainment upgrades. We have been instructed they are customer pay. I asked 3 different people :("

So this means upper mgmt has made the decision. we have to pay if we want steam. (unless this hits mainstream) and they reimburse up like they did with early eMMC repairs

Lucky for me my kids travel mostly in my wife's refresh MX that has it, but it does boil my blood that my car does not have it when during delivery of the 1st plaids they bragged about how I could play cyberpunk.

• Informative
Reactions: Blakesplay and Bull
So I have a "friend" in service. She's been around since my 1st MS in Q1 2014. I've come to know her very well over the years and she typically is able to pull things off that NO other people can. That said.
Im putting my Plaid (Birthdate Aug 27,2021) in for loud half shafts under acceleration so I figured this was a good time as any to ask for the MCU upgrade for steam.
Today came my "estimate of work" and the MCU came up as a $2k upgrade.
I messaged her phone privately and said : "Hey there! I got the job estimate for my car, thanks, but can you see why I have to pay for the computer when Elon promised us this feature in our cars when we ordered them?? 😬 "

And her response was : "Hi! This hardware wasn’t included in the price of the early plaid vins. Similar to infotainment upgrades. We have been instructed they are customer pay. I asked 3 different people :("

So this means upper mgmt has made the decision. we have to pay if we want steam. (unless this hits mainstream) and they reimburse up like they did with early eMMC repairs

Lucky for me my kids travel mostly in my wife's refresh MX that has it, but it does boil my blood that my car does not have it when during delivery of the 1st plaids they bragged about how I could play cyberpunk.
Some one posted they got it done for free here couple of days back ... did you mention that to you friend? what was her take on that?

Some one posted they got it done for free here couple of days back ... did you mention that to you friend? what was her take on that?
Actually no, but I will great idea

Edit, I sent that screenshot over to them. Let's see what happens when she shows upper management that one.

Edit #2, she replied. She said "I need the vin to look it up. I just left but I can reach out to the advisor and see how "

Edit #3 "I’ll show my boss but that’s an estimate not the final invoice. "

Any Way you could scan over the final invoice? Im trying to get this free invoice over to my SC and possibly get the same for the rest of us.
Actually asking for the VIN is not a good way. Because this depends on whether the owner is willing to share these private info.
But I know this can be done for a free upgrade as Elon promised in the advertisement and actually some people get it free. If we pay, then this is unfair

I have been following this and actually went to my service center today about this for my 2022 plaid. They were helpful and nice, while listening to all of my arguments which I have read on here. Then I showed the 2 printed invoices from this feed which show free upgrades. They looked surprised and then researched stuff on their computer, while one went into what I assume is his bosses office. They then told me no, it is a paid upgrade. I tried to schedule an appointment when I got home on my phone app with the same complaint and invoices, thinking it would go to a corporate or nationwide level. It went to the same guy I just dealt with locally, who responded "no" again. I then put in the same request for a service center in the next state, but the date is much further out and I have not heard back. Fingers crossed?

I tried my own luck and it was the normal $2,000 upgrade. Cancelled. They claimed that it is a paid upgrade.

Anyone have the data on when the prices when up in late 2021 and 2022? If corporate is going to say the "price was baked into the car price", then when cars started getting delivered in December or January with 16GB, they should have raised the price in December.

I doubt bringing this up will change anything. But just another data point.

I got a Steam Deck. It lives in my glovebox.
While I see a lot of your points guys.. the stress and headache of trying to get Tesla to take care of this free of charge is costing more than a $500 Steam Deck when you really think about your sanity.

I have been on steam for over 10 years. Have over 800 games. I really wish that my car could natively play steam as much as you guys trust me! But sometimes you gotta just know when to shut the door!

11 pages in no one has been able to (definitively) get Tesla to play ball. Give it a rest!