TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Retrofit just front parking sensors?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mike K, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Mike K

Mike K Member

I didn't think this was going to be something I missed until I realized I have no idea where the nose of this car is. I don't need full sensors and I think the brunt of Tesla's retrofit price is in replacing and re-painting the front and rear bumper covers.

I'd be totally set with just the two nose cone sensors just so I can see where I am in relation to things directly in front of me. Is anyone familiar with a way to accomplish this? I assume it's a solid no but it doesn't hurt to ask.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#2 ecarfan, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    We know that Tesla won't retrofit them. I have never seen anyone post that they had done it themselves or had a non-Tesla source do it. Even if someone installed the hardware and somehow connected it to your car's wiring harness (which may not be possible) they would need to reprogram the car's software to understand that it was only seeing data from front sensors and then do further reprogram to make the sensor display work on the driver and center display screens.
    Essentially this would be next to impossible for someone outside Tesla to do.

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

4. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

I haven't been able to find the post - but I swear that there was a post here a couple of years ago of someone who ran into (figuratively) Jerome either at a charger or some parking lot or something and talked to him about this. And Jerome showed that person his Model S with retrofit parking sensors which looked "imperfect" and explained that this just couldn't be done as well as to meet Tesla's expectation of quality and design and that they therefore wouldn't offer it.

5. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

Teslatap did a step-by-step install write-up of an aftermarket system for the front that looks pretty good. I've considered it for our car, but so far have gotten better at figuring out where the car ends.

Here's the link if you're interested:
    Parking Assist Installation | TeslaTap

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

On SUPRKARs knowledge and advice I did this to my car and advised several others how it was done. But it was only possible with cars built before mid-summer 2013. After that the wiring harnesses needed were not in place. It also require a firmware update, which Tesla first did but stopped doing about a year ago. So it's no longer possible. Of course my front camera switch was another very good solution but due to lack of interest that's no longer made.

7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I saw a Signature red model s with parking sensors at the Roseville CA supercharger

8. Mike K

Mike K Member

Hmmm, it seems like I could grab the nosecone from a car with parking sensors, install just two from this kit in that for a stock look and achieve what I'm looking to do.

9. luvnMyTS

luvnMyTS Member

Not true. Tesla WILL retrofit older cars, but it's NOT CHEAP!!

The two that I'm aware of, spent over $6,500 to retrofit older cars. Certainly won't recapture anywhere near that, if anything, on resale.

Plus, highly doubt Tesla would consider just doing half the car. Assuming they all function off the same module. Tesla offers a package price and we know Tesla has no flexibility, so to do it, you'd have to do front and rear. I guess you could tell them to leave the rear sensors out, but they'd likely still charge the same price since they are unwilling to adjust their pricing on anything.

So unless you're a really bad driver :) LOL and keep hitting things because you're unable to take a little extra care when parking and sensors are the only thing that will keep you from running into things, I think I'd pass at that price. For that kind of money, you could likely upgrade your entire car to a CPO 2014 or 2015 model with Auto-Pilot and keep similar payments. Would choose that route and get something worth more money rather than upgrading an older car that's not going to recapture any of your investment.

10. Cowby

Cowby Member

This is is what I was told too...~6k to add parking sensors! I was told it was because they would change out the bumpers and not just merely adding sensors.....still ouch tho considering my little Kia has it...

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Okay, I stand corrected! It can be done (but perhaps not to all the early cars), but it's very costly for what you get.

12. CLLACAB

CLLACAB Member

You might want to put a call in to Al & Ed's in Hollywood, CA. They retrofit parking sensors and can provide some insight. I don't think they replace the bumper but I think it is an extensive upgrade. I believe they advertise in the vendor section below.

13. Cowby

Cowby Member

umm....my car is able to if I wanted....I don't think you will find much earlier cars than mine here in TMC...

14. Mike K

Mike K Member

It's not that I'm hitting things; It's that I'm being over-cautious in an attempt not to hit things. The front end of this car is wide and low. It's really hard to get a solid grasp of where it's at. Combine that with painfully small LA parking spaces and all sorts of oddly shaped parking lots out here and you have a combination for trouble. I find myself backing into spaces just to use the camera.

15. luvnMyTS

luvnMyTS Member

I was just teasing you. I understand. Just have to determine what's worth more to you. Taking a little extra care when those tight parking situations arise and saving $6,500 or forking out the $6,500 for peace of mind in those situations.

Again though, at that cost, you likely could come close to upgrading to a newer model car which naturally would have much more value on resale due to being newer. In addition, you'd get the added benefit of Auto Pilot, possibly Next Generation seats, 4G LTE, etc. You could upgrade the 4G as well for another $500 and apparently they're now willing to finally offer an upgrade to Next Gen seats for another $7,000 which would put you at $14,000 to upgrade an older model that would not see much of an increase in resale value.

I had a 2013 and had a list of must haves that must happen before would be willing to upgrade. I wanted to see 4G, I wanted the Next Gen Seats. At the time I wanted to upgrade both but they said no. I also wanted a larger battery. The 2013 battery chemistry is not as good as late 2013 and beyond cars. Even though they have the same 85 kWh, late 2013 and beyond cars have more real world range and appear to show less degradation. Finally, once Auto-Pilot came out, that was enough to push me over the edge to upgrade. Payments on the new car are about the same as the old one. Cost me $8,000 out of pocket and I got EVERYTHING, not just one item upgraded to an old car. I also now have a nearly 3 year newer car with no miles that's worth far, far, far more than my 2013 was, even if I had added a few of the upgrades.

So, just saying, do your homework and consider ALL options. I think you'll find you can get A LOT more value for your money than upgrading an old car.

16. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Like Artsci I also retrofitted at a significantly less cost than stated. This was performed some time ago when tesla was at a diff place and your vin had to fall within a certain timeframe. I doubt they would be interested in this now unless you could convince them as part of buying a cpo that falls within this vin numbering.

17. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Hehe... finally caught on to your signature. "P85 F11". Nice. And indeed - it doesn't get much earlier than that :)

18. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I have Artsci's front camera on my Sig. Really this is the most cost effective retrofit in fact it's better than the new cars IMO! I think there are few front camera kits floating around you might find for sale.

19. Cowby

Cowby Member

I've actually done just that and purchased from GasDoc here on TMC...he said it should arrive by next week...now to find an installer for that as i'm not too handy with this stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

U'd be shocked if I told you who the original owner was.....:eek:....let's just say besides Elon's and Jurvetson's car, this would be the next famous one....lol