Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit Model S with HUD from Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A HUD will also require a different windscreen, most likely, as the one that's in the Model S now would cause all sorts of multi-image reflections and all manner of blurriness. That alone would set you back a few thousand, and that doesn't even include the new hardware or the install costs.

It would be a super pricey retrofit.

• Disagree
Reactions: Edmond
While a HUD display will work on a standard windshield, it works better with a special windshield. Normal glass? $400. HUD glass? $1100. Or at least on the one I had to replace.

But, drive a car for a week with an HUD before you decide an HUD is what you want. We have 3 cars with HUD's, and leave them all off except the one with nav instructions on the HUD, and then only when navigation is on.

To be honest, a HUD is cool when you first have it, but it's not that different from a display dash on the S... most likely an LED dash is better at actually displaying the information you need, and more of it. HUD is simply cool, at the beginning.

In many other cars, the info on the HUD and on the dash or monitors are pretty much the same. They are mostly redundant. I don't feel HUD has something so amazing or must have. Very little value.

To be honest, a HUD is cool when you first have it, but it's not that different from a display dash on the S... most likely an LED dash is better at actually displaying the information you need, and more of it. HUD is simply cool, at the beginning.

In many other cars, the info on the HUD and on the dash or monitors are pretty much the same. They are mostly redundant. I don't feel HUD has something so amazing or must have. Very little value.

But.... If you don't have a display dash (M3), then a HUD is suddenly much more useful and attractive ??

HUD is one of the best features ever. It's nothing like the instrument panel, even an LCD one like the Tesla's. It doesn't get old either. You never have to glance down. Your speed, navigation directions, etc are all floating in front of you. It's amazing. Why it's not on more cars is beyond me. BMW finally came around from offering it as a gimmicky option that nobody chose and now probably something along the lines of 50% of their cars are optioned with it. And BMW does a great HUD. But I digress.

Obviously this is all speculation for a piece of equipment that's not yet been announced and perhaps never will be but practically speaking it could be pretty easy and I say this as someone that has experience doing it on two different platforms (GM w bodies and BMWs). For the sake of continuity Tesla will likely use the same vehicle systems across their entire product line. In other cars the display simply runs on the vehicle's data bus. On the BMWs you'd simply wire it into the bus and code the car to tell it it was there. It would likely be the same with a Tesla. In fact, it almost certainly would be the same in a Tesla since they tend to keep things as simple as possible.

That said, the systems we'll see in the cars in 2018 are likely to be different than the systems we see in the cars now. So what's more likely is that if such a feature existed you could retrofit it into another 2018 Model S but perhaps not an older one.

Okay, this may be too ahead of the game, but if the Model 3 is indeed going to get a head-up display to "make sense" for the lack of a center display, how easy will it be retrofitable on the current Model S?
May make more sense for an upcoming refreshed Model S to get an HUD first and then having this trickle down to the Model 3 in a couple of years if the feature proves itself in terms of usability, owner acceptance and ease/cost of manufacturing. Then again, this whole HUD thing is just conjecture.