TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Retrofit newer 2nd row seats?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by techmaven, Oct 28, 2015.

1. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

#1 techmaven, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    I have a 2013 P85 with the "nub" style headrest 1st generation back seat. The newer, current generation back seat has a much larger and further forward rear headrest. I'm wondering if anyone knows for absolute sure if it is possible to retrofit the current back seat to my 2013 Model S? I know that Tesla doesn't offer an official upgrade, but does the new generation rear seat back physically fit? Note that I'm not talking about the next generation back seat.

Original:
    Tesla-Model-S-P85-Plus-Review-UK-Rear-Seats-carwitter.jpg

current:
    2015_tesla_p85d_rint_ft_303151_1600.jpg

I am hoping the new generation provides better headroom and comfort as well as significantly better whiplash protection.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have read on the forum that they do not offer a rear seat upgrade. I have also read that those new headrests essentially make the rear window useless: can't see a thing out of it. That would be a negative for me. I have read about comfort complaints about the rear. But I have never received any from my passengers, except that it is very hard to latch the seat belts, especially if it is a larger person.