Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit Premium Interior Lighting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the premium lighting on my car but have helped a few others retrofit lighting. Most of the wiring harnesses are in place you just need to hook up the lights. In the picture above there is a two pole male connector right above the speaker. This looks like the power feed to the door lights on most cars. This same connector is located throughout the car in the doors, the trunk, and in the foot wells.

Many of the panels also have the cutouts for the lights - they just haven't been cut out. If you want to use OEM lighting to make it look like the factory then you can buy these assemblies from the service center and just plug them in after cutting out the panel part. Of course check first to see if the impression is on the panel and always cut small and make bigger as necessary. See light assembly in photo below and disregard the wires.
21-trunk led light harness 001.JPG

I found even the premium lighting inadequate so added extra lighting throughout the car. I used the ultrathin LED strips from Oznium (same people who make the lighted "T"). These are very thin, very bright and well made. You can daisy chain them or also cut them in groups of 3 LEDs if you want a smaller length. See link below. Picture shows size of light bar compared to a mechanical pencil.

http://www.oznium.com/ultra-thin-light-bar
10-IMG_0048.JPG

I made my own wiring harnesses to plug into the aforementioned Tesla connectors. This enables me to use the existing wiring harnesses without splicing into the wires or having warranty concerns. The wiring connectors are from PC power supplies.

20-trunk led light connector 001.JPG
23-trunk led harness and light 001.JPG
24-trunk led lights installed.JPG

I don't have ambient lighting but was able to find a fix for the incredibly dark trunk, frunk, glovebox and front footwells. It coast all of $15 on Amazon. I tied into the existing footwell lights upfront, disconnecting the pathetic factory lights and using the wiring harness to install simple 6" LED strips, which I attached with supplied 3M tape. They work like a charm. In the trunk I found the two leads behind the carpet cover on the sides and tied into them. The left side is behind the cover, just to right of the trunk opening. The left is close to the charge port backside. I also replaced the glovebox and frunk in the same way as with the front footwells. They make a huge difference since the car is essentially a big dark cave at night or even in my garage.

I did not order ambient because I like a dark cabin when driving. Much less distracting. It would be cool mohave, but not at $1K for me.

I've ordered a bunch of these flat LED panels to replace the LED strips I added in the frunk and trunk and provide additional light in the cabin. They give off a very even white light (in spite of the yellow color of the surface), with no pixelation of individual LEDs, and are about 8" long, less than 1/2 wide, and only 3mm thick. These kinds of flat LED panels are available in a variety of shapes and sizes, including round, providing for versatile state art of the LED lighting. They're about $6 each.

sku_190280_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have the premium lighting on my car but have helped a few others retrofit lighting. Most of the wiring harnesses are in place you just need to hook up the lights. In the picture above there is a two pole male connector right above the speaker. This looks like the power feed to the door lights on most cars. This same connector is located throughout the car in the doors, the trunk, and in the foot wells.

Many of the panels also have the cutouts for the lights - they just haven't been cut out. If you want to use OEM lighting to make it look like the factory then you can buy these assemblies from the service center and just plug them in after cutting out the panel part. Of course check first to see if the impression is on the panel and always cut small and make bigger as necessary. See light assembly in photo below and disregard the wires.
View attachment 73380

I found even the premium lighting inadequate so added extra lighting throughout the car. I used the ultrathin LED strips from Oznium (same people who make the lighted "T"). These are very thin, very bright and well made. You can daisy chain them or also cut them in groups of 3 LEDs if you want a smaller length. See link below. Picture shows size of light bar compared to a mechanical pencil.

View attachment 73384
I made my own wiring harnesses to plug into the aforementioned Tesla connectors. This enables me to use the existing wiring harnesses without splicing into the wires or having warranty concerns. The wiring connectors are from PC power supplies.

View attachment 73381View attachment 73382View attachment 73383

EBill - I am really intrigued by the idea of purchasing the OEM light units from Tesla and installing them myself. I can feel the impressions in all four door panels where these lights would normally be installed, and if the plugs for these are already in the wiring harness on the doors, this seems like a relatively easy option vs. buying all new door panels. A couple of questions for you, though.

(1) are the service centers willing to sell just the light assemblies themselves and if so, do you happen to know the part numbers?
(2) does the central screen switch that controls these lights appear automatically once the light panels are plugged in or does service need to "turn on" this feature?
(3) any special instructions or precautions for popping off the door panels?

Thanks for the great information already!

EBill - I am really intrigued by the idea of purchasing the OEM light units from Tesla and installing them myself. I can feel the impressions in all four door panels where these lights would normally be installed, and if the plugs for these are already in the wiring harness on the doors, this seems like a relatively easy option vs. buying all new door panels. A couple of questions for you, though.

(1) are the service centers willing to sell just the light assemblies themselves and if so, do you happen to know the part numbers?
(2) does the central screen switch that controls these lights appear automatically once the light panels are plugged in or does service need to "turn on" this feature?
(3) any special instructions or precautions for popping off the door panels?

Thanks for the great information already!

The thing is that you need to purchase new door panels to get the OEM leds, they are built into the panel, not replaceable. Besides that there are no power on the wires until Tesla activated it in the ECU.
So it's not as easy as it sounds.

If you want to see real criminal behavior go visit the Mercedes Dealer - i was there tonight looking at the GL350 Bluetec. My wife got tired of waiting for the X and this will be our interim vehicle... they charge $500 for one Led to light up the 3 pointed star in the front.

The thing is that you need to purchase new door panels to get the OEM leds, they are built into the panel, not replaceable. Besides that there are no power on the wires until Tesla activated it in the ECU.
So it's not as easy as it sounds.

Per EBill's quote below from his earlier entry, the OEM lights can supposedly be purchased from the service center and installed into the impression on the door panels. If this is all accurate, I would think that the service center would activate the wires in the ECU if requested, albeit probably for a service fee?

Many of the panels also have the cutouts for the lights - they just haven't been cut out. If you want to use OEM lighting to make it look like the factory then you can buy these assemblies from the service center and just plug them in after cutting out the panel part. Of course check first to see if the impression is on the panel and always cut small and make bigger as necessary.

I will be working on a friend's car late next week that doesn't have premium lighting and check the connections on his car in the doors. Perhaps different VINs and markets have different settings. Will report back after that.

XY46:
1: I don't have a part number for this light nor can I find a part number on the units that I have. As the OEM units are not that bright, we went straight to the ultrathin light bars above. I suggested the OEM units per the OPs request to make it look like a factory OEM. If your service center won't provide you the PN I can ask my SC.
2: Per the comment above, some panels have impressions. Maybe other versions do not. I don't see this as a big problem howver as the lights are just a force fit into a rectangular cutout. Make the cut out the right size and push the light in. The hard part is taking a sharp knife or razor to your interior panels and hoping you get it right. :eek:
When we plugged the lights in they worked when the doors opened and went off when the doors were closed. Haven't checked with the ambient light switch setting.
3. Door panel removal tips: http://teslatap.com/modifications/projector-logo-lights/

Other tips on tapping into the ambient lighting are on this archived thread.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/38606-How-to-splice-into-the-ambient-lighting

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of TM enabling the ambient light setting in the ECU for non premium interior vehicles or does this more fall into the line of they could but won't?

I have a late vin S85 that I plan on adding some leds in the foot wells and doors among other modifications in a few weeks and if I could use the ambient light harness for the leds and have TM activate the control, well that would be just fantastic.

Has anyone heard of TM enabling the ambient light setting in the ECU for non premium interior vehicles or does this more fall into the line of they could but won't?

I have a late vin S85 that I plan on adding some leds in the foot wells and doors among other modifications in a few weeks and if I could use the ambient light harness for the leds and have TM activate the control, well that would be just fantastic.

I have been in contact with Tesla a couple of times, and they are not willing to activate the ambient light setting, not even if you buy 4 new door panels.

So it sounds like the only option is to tap into the 12v power for the always on window switch for the door panels. What about the foot wells up front? what would be the best source to tap?

The foot wells up front are only on when opening the door and goes off when you drive.

I have been thinking about trying with the window switch, my only concern is the missing option of turning them off without turning down the backlight on the instrument cluster.

I've ordered a bunch of these flat LED panels to replace the LED strips I added in the frunk and trunk and provide additional light in the cabin. They give off a very even white light (in spite of the yellow color of the surface), with no pixelation of individual LEDs, and are about 8" long, less than 1/2 wide, and only 3mm thick. These kinds of flat LED panels are available in a variety of shapes and sizes, including round, providing for versatile state art of the LED lighting. They're about $6 each.

View attachment 73473
I just came across this thread and thought that I'd comment.

I thought that all of the single LEDs had very low lumen output, especially the rear trunk and glove compartment, so I set out to replace them. (I didn't know that there's a single LED that supposedly lights up the driver's feet and pedals at night? I didn't see that one until I was installing floor lighting - see below)

After a lot of research, I decided not to install LED strip lighting. Instead, I purchased these:

www.amazon.com/LEMONBEST-Energy-saving-Vehicle-Interior-Lighting/dp/B00H9BOQEE/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_1_dp

I popped out the LED assemblies (where applicable, like the glove compartment), popped out the single LEDs, then hand-filed a very small indent for the new LED flat panel light wires in the LED holder. The new LED flat panel light has a tape strip on its back. I stuck the new LED flat panel directly over the top of the old Tesla LED light, ran its 2 wires along the notch, then pressed the whole assembly back into place. I stuck the new flat panel LED wires into the Tesla connectors and secured it with duct tape, then popped the whole LED assembly back into place. (Make sure you test the flat panel light first to be certain that it's wired correctly). Viola! - instant BRIGHT light. The flat panel LED is so bright that the one I installed over the trunk LED is bright enough to light up the entire interior.

As for the "mood" lights, I, too, wanted some LED floor lighting that I could easily install and change the colors. I chose the following:

www.amazon.com/LEDGlow-4-Piece-Interior-Underdash-Lighting/dp/B000I04Z7Q?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I wired it directly into the 12v cigarette lighter outlet and mounted the switch on the top of my center console at its base near the 12v power. Each light has enough wire to run it to the front (up under the pedals near the driver's side LED, under the passenger side, and at the floor of each rear passenger seat just below the cushion. I had to secure each light strip with a few drops of superglue.

So, now my Tesla has both great, bright interior lighting and mood lighting for the floor!

View attachment 73384
I am thinking of purchasing these and retrofitting them to my doors so I have ambient lighting. I understand from prior threads that the power is available behind the door panel even though I didn't have the premium lighting package in my late P85D (built 12/2004). I can also feel the impressions in the door panels under the arm rests where the OEM ambient lights would have been installed if I had gotten them on my car. Couple of questions for you.

(1) Curious if you have played around with these in this situation and how you would have attached the ultra-thin-light-bar strips into the door panels?
(2) At 7.5" long, these are just about right for the back door panels, but the front door panels look like they might take at maximum about 13" in length. Putting two of these two together is too long - are the strips themselves able to be cut down in length very easily?
(3) For those of us who do not have the OEM ambient lighting strips installed, do you recommend tapping into the window switch light power or will the open OEM plug for ambient lighting behind the door panel work okay?
(4) Finally, since I don't have the ability to turn these on/off/dim in the main panel like if they were OEM - will the full brightness of these strips still be cosmetically okay?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Last edited: