Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit Suspension Only for Performance Plus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

Just wondering if any of you have heard the cost associated with a retrofit on P85 to the performance plus package excluding the tires/rims. I think the suspension will make the biggest difference.

Thanks

Just heard that the retrofit is 9500 but doesn't include the dampers or the stabilizer bars! They will replace upper bushings and control arms. Also, they say part of the package are the larger wheels with PS2 tires and at this time we don't have the option of only adding parts of the package. Most of the cost is due to tires/wheels from what I can tell. Would be great just to get the revised bushings/control arms.

Elon's email:

"Yeah, I have now insisted that even the tiniest (this was obviously not tiny) change to the car requires a physical inspection and buy off from me. The headliner change shouldn’t have happened.

The exact price of the P+ retrofit is still tbd. It would be $6500 plus whatever the labor cost is. Unfortunately, this is a major operation, so labor cost is high -- $8500 to $9500 is about right.

Tesla cannot do partial upgrades, as we have to test the heck out of anything that we provide as a manufacturer for regulatory compliance and liability. However, as an end customer, you are allowed to do whatever you want to your car, even if not FMVSS compliant."

I think we can order the suspension bits and the rear rims separately...as far as I can tell. It should be possible. I will try to just do the suspension first.

Any Updates on performance + upgrades? Would be nice to hear what people are doing. I have a P85 and feel that when accelerating at highway speeds (aggressively accelerating) that the steering in the front is squishy and loose. Not sure if it is just my car and therefore a current suspension issue - or if I just expect tighter stiffer steering and therefore need to consider a suspension upgrade.

I'm no race car driver and don't crush the accelerator and don't expect corvette type road feel steering - however I always feel the car is squirrelly at high speeds.

Thoughts - is it my car - or do others feel loose/soft steering when accelerating at high speeds?

Scott