TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Retrofit to Black Alcantara Headliner?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by rfmurphy81, Feb 19, 2017.

1. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

Hi everyone,
    When I ordered my Model S, it came with the standard White Alcantara Headliner as I didn't want to upgrade to the Premium Interior Package to get the black (and the rest of the items in that add-on didn't seem worth the value). I'm now wondering if it's possible to retrofit the headliner from the white to the black.

My Model S has the panoramic roof and I've popped up a few of the panels to run dashcam/power cabling so I wonder the rest of the panels can pop off as easily.

My questions:
    • Has anyone done a retrofit like this?
    • Has anyone had it done via Tesla at the Service Center? If so, how much was it?
    • Would it be crazy to get the parts (whether somehow directly through Tesla or from a salvage) and do it myself?
    • Has anyone done this aftermarket? How close to OEM is it? How much? Any shops in SoCal?
    I did some searching on the forums, though I had been unable to find any conversation about this topic, so forgive me if it's out there and I didn't stumble across it.

2. Bishop

Bishop Member

call an upholstery shop near you thats what i did on previous cars

3. CzTom

CzTom Member

One alternative if you're into DIY is to remove the headliner and paint it black. The gentlemen building his model S from salvage did this and seemed satisfied with the results...here's the thread:
    Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I just bought a P85d with black headliner and was considering the opposite route. My P85+ has the light headliner but I'm not yet sure which one I like better. So maybe in a couple of months if I decide to switch perhaps we could just swap parts and DIY.